Season 2015..

Remove this Banner Ad

Not feeling any Rovers love fruit?

It just seems like they have lost a few key players such as Carpenter, Sheehan, Archer etc and don't seem to have recruited any replacements.
Corowa will be similar to last year. Wang lost a few and gained a few but also won the 3rds flag so should have a few good kids.
Raiders, Myrtleford and Wodonga seem to have landed 4 or 5 each which leaves Nth Albury who've lost their leading goal kicker but had some good kids coming through.
Just sheer weight of numbers leaves Rovers last by my calculations.

Is there a changing of the gaurd at Yarra ? Seem to be heading into a new era
Albury
Lavington
Yarra
Corowa
Nth Albury

Wangarratta
Raiders
Myrtleford
Wodonga
Rovers

No love for the hoppers. One player doesn't make a team peoples. They are in a lot better shape this year and they missed 5th by a game. Still think raiders depth is a massive problem. Wangarratta should have a strong list with reserves and thirds making grand finals last year.

A couple of key injuries and I think Yarra would be vulnerable to slipping out of the top 3, but still think they'll win enough to stay there.

My ladder
Albury
Lavington
Yarrawonga
Raiders
Corowa
Myrtleford
North
Wangaratta
Wodonga
Rovers

Premiers - Albury

Leading Goalkicker - Setanta... 102 H&A goals (80 v the bottom 5 clubs, 22 v the other top 4)

Morris Medal - Polo

Controversial moment - Tribunal giving out suspended sentences again instead of genuine penalties!

Point of interest in 2015 - MCG food prices lower than some O&M clubs.

Memorable moment - all clubs represented in the O&M finals

A couple of key injuries and I think Yarra would be vulnerable to slipping out of the top 3, but still think they'll win enough to stay there.

My ladder
Albury
Lavington
Yarrawonga
Raiders
Corowa
Myrtleford
North
Wangaratta
Wodonga
Rovers

Premiers - Albury

Leading Goalkicker - Setanta... 102 H&A goals (80 v the bottom 5 clubs, 22 v the other top 4)

Morris Medal - Polo

Controversial moment - Tribunal giving out suspended sentences again instead of genuine penalties!

Point of interest in 2015 - MCG food prices lower than some O&M clubs.

Memorable moment - all clubs represented in the O&M finals

Rumor has it the money is drying up at Yarra !!! If that's true they still would be ahead of other clubs by along way.
Ladder
Albury
Lavi
Yarra. Will land a ex afl player to play a handful of games.
Mytrleford
Raiders. They have to finish with all the new guys on board.
North . Will just miss out. Maksymow will be a big miss can't see him playing much. Maybe on weekend leave.
Wangaratta.
Murray Crays . They could beat Rovers and Wodonga.
Rovers
Wodonga. How many injuries will the old dogs get?

Premiers. Albury
Goalkicker. Big Irish Setanta 128 . I agree more against lower sides then top 3.
Moment. Aker off to Carlton and hands job to Leslie
Interest. Grand final at Wang or Raiders fail and sack Cresswell.

Rumor has it the money is drying up at Yarra !!! If that's true they still would be ahead of other clubs by along way.
Ladder
Albury
Lavi
Yarra. Will land a ex afl player to play a handful of games.
Mytrleford
Raiders. They have to finish with all the new guys on board.
North . Will just miss out. Maksymow will be a big miss can't see him playing much. Maybe on weekend leave.
Wangaratta.
Murray Crays . They could beat Rovers and Wodonga.
Rovers
Wodonga. How many injuries will the old dogs get?

Premiers. Albury
Goalkicker. Big Irish Setanta 128 . I agree more against lower sides then top 3.
Moment. Aker off to Carlton and hands job to Leslie
Interest. Grand final at Wang or Raiders fail and sack Cresswell.

Grand final in Wang between Lavi and Albury with 1000 people turning up.

I predict the Raiders will come in at 4th position
Raiders lose a half dozen with injury expect them down the bottom again, depth is non existent and with country clubs throwing $$$ at fringe players won't get any better. Anyway I thought they were sticking with a locals/youth policy instead of going down the $$$ brick road.:confused:

Raiders lose a half dozen with injury expect them down the bottom again, depth is non existent and with country clubs throwing $$$ at fringe players won't get any better. Anyway I thought they were sticking with a locals/youth policy instead of going down the $$$ brick road.:confused:

I don't know all the Raiders recruits but doesn't look like they have spent that much money. More of a money ball approach. Got Calma-Holt from Nth Albury who has ability plus Heta who used to play for them. They got Heta's brother plus a few blokes who played under Creswell at Palm Beach. I like the way they have played it. Not really sure how good they will be but for the competitions sake I hope they show some small improvement.

And if they have a good run with injuries, better then some other sides that will have a bad run with injuries, I still say they will make the final five. This injury menu is all unknown stuff, ... as it is, if the Wang sides, Wodonga, Corowa, Myrtleford etc have numerous injuries, they will be definitely down the bottom. As of not spending the bucks and go on a youth policy, well come on.... these scenarios have been happening for years now, and the club that is a well organized business unit that applies both the youth policy and has some money to recruit top line players is the club that will have the success.
Easier said then done, I note that, especially when it comes to recruiting a out of town player and finding a job for them.

And if they have a good run with injuries, better then some other sides that will have a bad run with injuries, I still say they will make the final five. This injury menu is all unknown stuff, ... as it is, if the Wang sides, Wodonga, Corowa, Myrtleford etc have numerous injuries, they will be definitely down the bottom. As of not spending the bucks and go on a youth policy, well come on.... these scenarios have been happening for years now, and the club that is a well organized business unit that applies both the youth policy and has some money to recruit top line players is the club that will have the success.
Easier said then done, I note that, especially when it comes to recruiting a out of town player and finding a job for them.
Reckon footy in Wangaratta is in real strife!!

Hearing that Corowa Rutherglen will be without Hayden Filliponi for the year after doing his knee wrestling at a pub through the week, can't imagine the roo boys being too happy

Hearing that Corowa Rutherglen will be without Hayden Filliponi for the year after doing his knee wrestling at a pub through the week, can't imagine the roo boys being too happy

I am pretty sure he was just a bystander and someone fell across his knee, big loss for corowa in unfortunate circumstances

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also heard he got a bad injury. Corowa seem to have lost a few over the off season which is sad after improving so much last year.

Looks like , Albury
Lavington
Yarrawonga
Raiders
Myrtleford
North Albury
Corowa
Wangaratta
Wang. Rovers
Wodonga.
Geez, what is going on with the Wangaratta clubs/ ?.. not to mention the Wodonga Bulldogs.
granted Rovers look like they will struggle.
Underestimate Magies at own peril! Lost grossman , but picked up at least 3 good players.
Think both clubs in the business of not wasting money they don't have?

Its certainly far from doom and gloom down the Norm Minns, building nicely towards next year once there is some equalization in place. Should be finishing in that grouping below the big three.
In contrast while also building a young group, times look tough for the Rovers despite some rather ammusing quotes from Paul Maher last week, my personal belief that their expectation to improve ladder position from last year is at best highly delusional

Its certainly far from doom and gloom down the Norm Minns, building nicely towards next year once there is some equalization in place. Should be finishing in that grouping below the big three.
In contrast while also building a young group, times look tough for the Rovers despite some rather ammusing quotes from Paul Maher last week, my personal belief that their expectation to improve ladder position from last year is at best highly delusional

Well I can't imagine a club going out the following year and aiming to do worse than they did in the previous? (Melbourne during the tanking saga may be the exception to this)

I daresay Wang Rovers will surprise a few sides this year.

Aside from Archer (50 goals), and Sheehan and Carpenter who both played half fit for the whole year, there have been no other notable losses from last years side.

Add into the mix McCullough returning, as well as a fully fit Josh Newton, you will find a side that is more than competitive, and capable of finishing in the five.

Out Archer, Carpenter, Sheahan, Mulligan and Bourman two of which I rate as being in their best 5 last year and the other three required a quality player to follow them. Plus the loss of depth with Iwanuch and Elliot. The injury of Smith certainly will be felt more then most realise.
I rate Chopper McCullough very highly and Newton is abit of an in, but hardly enough to offset those loses. I dont see any of the O&K recruits doing much to change the situation. These chaps out of Geelong heading up would want to be jets to save Rovers from a bottom 3 finish in my opinion.
Just my personal views not having a dig at the club, because I like the faith they are showing in the youth of the club. (Must add I didnt actually witness Rovers win a game last year, did however see five losses so my views may be tainted by that)

On a side note johnnymossop I believe there are two wang based players in Murray Waite and Jackson Clark both likely to have a kick for the Bushys

Last edited:
Hearing a massive rumour that Knoble has either stepped down or been sacked from Maggie's!
I really hope this is not true only a few weeks out from the start!

Remove this Banner Ad

Season 2015..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back