SEASON 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

It is but I’m reluctant to start fawning over the dogs like some. I went Sunday and like previously stated I reckon the mounters have gone backwards. There was a lot of talk to the back end of last week out of the rovers camp that they felt they’d bridged the gap and had markedly improved. That’s not what I witnessed, they were ordinary. Come 5pm Sat Wandin and the rest of the comp will know exactly where they are at.

Can’t see a challenger for with Narre or Wandin.

There are some great match ups this week in Division 2. The game of the round is undoubtedly between rivals Powelltown and Warburton at Kilsyth. Both sides are undefeated and whilst it’s very early days, the Burras appear to be the Towners biggest challenger. Despite Powelly trailing a much-improved Alexandra at half time last weekend, they managed to find a way to win - like all good sides do. Its backline has been bolstered with the additions of former Heathmont captain and club legend, Dylan Sverns, and ultimate journeyman Adam Oxley. They’ve also gained star forward Justin van Unen, the crafty Jimmy Messis and Gary Conyers, who was best afield in the Round 1 victory over Yarra Junction. I think it’s pretty safe to say that Powelltown’s become even stronger this year, especially if regular senior footballer, Matthew McArthur, is having to ply his trade in the reserves, which is a very good problem to have for coach Jarrod Bayliss. Warby’s recruits - Ben Pretty, Tom Barr and Will Farrer - have all fitted in well and made it look easy in their 128-point demolition of the Eagles. I’m expecting a close contest, but with so much class and virtually no weak link, it’s hard to go past Powelly.

It was great to see Yarra Glen get a win last Saturday over Broadford, especially after a tough off season. The Riverpigs still have a decent amount of talent on their list, including inspirational skipper Ben Ashton, the mercurial Jimmy Marks, underrated wingman Blake Binion, new recruit Thomas Sullivan and ex-Lilydale tough nut Richard Wyles. I expect Yarra Glen to be competitive against Junction - a side hoping to bounce back after two tough weeks. I think the home-ground advantage will be enough for the Eagles to prevail though, particularly if gun midfielder Ewan Wadsworth stamps his authority. The last match up of the round is Broadford hosting Alexandra. The Rebels are hungry and look poised to make the top four after missing out last season. The Roos’ back half may have a lot of difficulty trying to nullify the impact of dynamic forward duo, William Stewart and Edward Watkin, both of whom are in fine touch. Consequently, I will be backing in Alexandra to continue its strong start to this season with a comfortable 40-point victory.

It's only Round 2, but it would appear that Wandin's answer to the question "can money buy happiness?" is a resounding yes.

Actually like the fact we now have some competition versus Narre Warren blowing everyone away. People continually moaned about Narre and why are they in our league blah blah blah and now we have competitive tensions……here we go again blah blah blah. Good luck to them.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Is there some competition in Div 2 for Powelly?
The top 3 in Powelly, Warby and Alex look to far and away above YG, YJ and Broady

Actually like the fact we now have some competition versus Narre Warren blowing everyone away. People continually moaned about Narre and why are they in our league blah blah blah and now we have competitive tensions……here we go again blah blah blah. Good luck to them.

If you've got the money to do it, fair play. You just hope they're not paying beyond their means to try and compete.

If you've got the money to do it, fair play. You just hope they're not paying beyond their means to try and compete.
Only have to spend big for the one year right to compete? Then can cut it right back next year when Narre are no longer in the league…..unless this has changed 🤷🏼‍♂

Only have to spend big for the one year right to compete? Then can cut it right back next year when Narre are no longer in the league…..unless this has changed 🤷🏼‍♂

Looking on the app they have 17 x 1 point players so can’t be going too hard.

Don’t let the truth get in the way of a story Ata lol
Their starting onball brigade on Sat against Narre were all 22 or under. They had young blokes everywhere you looked. I must admit I had my doubts on them due to Mt Ev being dreadful but what they have managed to develop and then compliment these kids with is impressive. Good on them. Long way to go but they are going to be a very entertaining watch. You’re going to have to kick bulk scores to beat them.

Their starting onball brigade on Sat against Narre were all 22 or under. They had young blokes everywhere you looked. I must admit I had my doubts on them due to Mt Ev being dreadful but what they have managed to develop and then compliment these kids with is impressive. Good on them. Long way to go but they are going to be a very entertaining watch. You’re going to have to kick bulk scores to beat them.

Any team not investing in kids is asking for trouble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does it work in any comp ?

Lilydale has 17s playing in the 19s to fill numbers and even 17s and 19s playing in the ressies to fill numbers

General drop off in numbers I think. With my work in juniors I've spoken to a lot of U17 coaches and their biggest gripe is when the U19 coach raids half his team to fill the sheet for Sat morning. Come Sunday, half those players are either injured or have general soreness / niggles which makes them 50% effective at best.

Healesville were making a big deal (in a positive way) last year about one of their players (I think it was Dan Ebbels) who played his usual 19's game 1 morning and then backed it up in the ressies to fill a spot. Next thing, one of the senior players got injured and Dan played half the seniors. Fantastic that a fit young guy who is a top player is willing to put his hand up to help out - but at same time isn't really sustainable. Too much of that and guys will be cripples at 35.

All 19 year olds want to play seniors.

Disagree.
When I was coming through there were a heap of guys happy/wanting to play another year of colts (as it was known back then) and probably 1/4rd of my granny team ended up going to Mt Lilydale to play U19 when they'd finished U18s.
A few extra dropped off as we moved from U16 to U18 because they didn't like the idea of being part of the senior club etc.
Probably no singular solution to the current number shortage regardless (apart from a club cull).

Remove this Banner Ad

SEASON 2023