Mega Thread Season 35 100%! Where are the match threads, is this another negative strike on KP's record?

Are you enjoying the 6 matches 1 match thread setup

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Also, this could possibly be the first PMbangers thread sent to landfill
So you're trying to stop match threads? The very idea the league is built around

This is Admin power abuse and I will be discussing with my local committee member

Would anybody like to hear what I think about the All-Sweet FA selection process? :)
Match threads are a place to ddiscuss any and all topics, go ahead (no pun intended) my friend 🤗

Match threads are a place to ddiscuss any and all topics, go ahead (no pun intended) my friend 🤗
Oh here we go

I think I’ve been quite open (at all times and at all costs) over the last many seasons re: my thoughts on All-Sweet FA criteria and selection, but I’ll try to summarise below.

My main concerns with current circumstances are:
  • specific positions seem to be disproportionately recognised in All-Sweet FA team selection; and that

• those who play in less glamorous positions are consistently overlooked, and that this is ultimately harmful to the strength and depth of the league.
There are ample examples of this over a period of many seasons, but the type of selection I’m talking about is the selection of I Dont Care (who (I think) played every single game as a ruck rover) in a back pocket in Season 29. To me, that makes absolutely no sense when we could be recognising somebody who actually played in that less glamorous position, who is almost immediately precluded from any sort of sim-based award.

In my view, All-Sweet FA selection should be based where possible on a 50:50 split between sim performance and match thread contributions. Media shouldn’t be a factor. That’s not to say I don’t think media is important – to the contrary. I just think that media shouldn’t be a factor in All-Sweet FA selection specifically, and honestly I’m not really sure when it became so (if it has).

A few things to note:
  • By “sim performance”, I don’t mean “top 20 players based on DT points” or anything along those lines. I think sim performance should be considered with positional context, and Barrybran’s work re: position-specific statistics is a strong step in the right direction. If Player A, a full forward, kicks 40 goals (the 10th best of all full forwards), but Player B, a forward picket, kicks 25 goals (the best of all forward pockets), I think Player B should have a stronger argument for final team selection based on sim performance alone, particularly given there are two available forward pocket positions. I don’t think this is currently the case.

• I think match thread posting should also be taken with positional context in mind. So (assuming posting quality is deemed equal) if the top 15 posters are all midfielders, that doesn’t mean all 15 midfielders should make the team – after all, there are only six midfield positions (including ruck), plus two interchange positions. It doesn’t mean we need to shoehorn all 15 into positions they didn’t play just because they have nice stats and posted lots.
Typically the counter-argument seems to be that the best posters tend to occupy “premium” (midfield, ruck, FF) positions, so of course more worthy posters will be in those positions. But the best posters play in those positions because they’re the positions most likely to be rewarded and/or accumulate stats. Why would anybody want to play on a HBF or FP when only three or four backs and forwards are named in the All-Sweet FA team?

If we start recognising those who play in less glamorous positions, maybe there’ll be less of a logjam for the “premium” positions. Maybe there’ll be more engagement around the league for those who aren’t kicking goals or notching up 12 tackles every week, like I tried to do with my stupid interchange campaign. Maybe – and this is my big thing – retention will improve, because rookies and more players in general will have something to work toward, or a realistic chance of All-Sweet FA honours come the end of the season. Because let’s be honest: if you’re currently a decent poster playing on a flank, you have very little chance – and that’s even before the season begins, just based on how All-Sweet FA current works.

Regarding media, to me, that’s what the beez MVP Trophy is for – to recognise the season’s best overall posters, including media. I’ve heard the argument that placings in the beez don’t matter apart from the winner. I don’t agree with that, but if that’s the general view, why not make a second “official” representative team based on the beez top 20? That way, you could make the All-Sweet FA team if you’ve had a great match thread posting and sim performance season, or the beez representative team if you’ve had a great overall posting season, or both if you’ve had all of the above. Make it a big thing.

Regarding quotas, I don’t have a strong opinion on the maximum of five nominations per club thing. I get why it exists. What I don’t get is the idea that if 80% of nominated players are midfielders, 80% of named players in the ultimate team need to be midfielders. As above, clubs are more likely to nominate their mids because a) they tend to accumulate the most (not necessarily contextually most impressive) statistics, and b) the most prominent posters tend to play in those positions for the aforementioned reasons. What this quota is doing is just reinforcing that cycle.

Mostly mids are nominated, so mostly mids are named, so there’s a logjam for midfield positions, so the best posters tend to play in those positions, so mostly mids are nominated, so mostly mids are named, and so on.

We just need to break that cycle, because it doesn’t make sense. This is how you end up with completely nonsensical decisions, like I Dont Care in a back pocket.

Also, for clarity, I don’t think there should be an interchange-specific position in the All-Sweet FA team, but I do think that all players should be appropriately considered based on their performance throughout the season in context of that position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I’ve been quite open (at all times and at all costs) over the last many seasons re: my thoughts on All-Sweet FA criteria and selection, but I’ll try to summarise below.

• specific positions seem to be disproportionately recognised in All-Sweet FA team selection; and that

• those who play in less glamorous positions are consistently overlooked, and that this is ultimately harmful to the strength and depth of the league.
There are ample examples of this over a period of many seasons, but the type of selection I’m talking about is the selection of I Dont Care (who (I think) played every single game as a ruck rover) in a back pocket in Season 29. To me, that makes absolutely no sense when we could be recognising somebody who actually played in that less glamorous position, who is almost immediately precluded from any sort of sim-based award.

In my view, All-Sweet FA selection should be based where possible on a 50:50 split between sim performance and match thread contributions. Media shouldn’t be a factor. That’s not to say I don’t think media is important – to the contrary. I just think that media shouldn’t be a factor in All-Sweet FA selection specifically, and honestly I’m not really sure when it became so (if it has).

A few things to note:
  • By “sim performance”, I don’t mean “top 20 players based on DT points” or anything along those lines. I think sim performance should be considered with positional context, and Barrybran’s work re: position-specific statistics is a strong step in the right direction. If Player A, a full forward, kicks 40 goals (the 10th best of all full forwards), but Player B, a forward picket, kicks 25 goals (the best of all forward pockets), I think Player B should have a stronger argument for final team selection based on sim performance alone, particularly given there are two available forward pocket positions. I don’t think this is currently the case.

• I think match thread posting should also be taken with positional context in mind. So (assuming posting quality is deemed equal) if the top 15 posters are all midfielders, that doesn’t mean all 15 midfielders should make the team – after all, there are only six midfield positions (including ruck), plus two interchange positions. It doesn’t mean we need to shoehorn all 15 into positions they didn’t play just because they have nice stats and posted lots.
Typically the counter-argument seems to be that the best posters tend to occupy “premium” (midfield, ruck, FF) positions, so of course more worthy posters will be in those positions. But the best posters play in those positions because they’re the positions most likely to be rewarded and/or accumulate stats. Why would anybody want to play on a HBF or FP when only three or four backs and forwards are named in the All-Sweet FA team?

If we start recognising those who play in less glamorous positions, maybe there’ll be less of a logjam for the “premium” positions. Maybe there’ll be more engagement around the league for those who aren’t kicking goals or notching up 12 tackles every week, like I tried to do with my stupid interchange campaign. Maybe – and this is my big thing – retention will improve, because rookies and more players in general will have something to work toward, or a realistic chance of All-Sweet FA honours come the end of the season. Because let’s be honest: if you’re currently a decent poster playing on a flank, you have very little chance – and that’s even before the season begins, just based on how All-Sweet FA current works.

Regarding media, to me, that’s what the beez MVP Trophy is for – to recognise the season’s best overall posters, including media. I’ve heard the argument that placings in the beez don’t matter apart from the winner. I don’t agree with that, but if that’s the general view, why not make a second “official” representative team based on the beez top 20? That way, you could make the All-Sweet FA team if you’ve had a great match thread posting and sim performance season, or the beez representative team if you’ve had a great overall posting season, or both if you’ve had all of the above. Make it a big thing.

Regarding quotas, I don’t have a strong opinion on the maximum of five nominations per club thing. I get why it exists. What I don’t get is the idea that if 80% of nominated players are midfielders, 80% of named players in the ultimate team need to be midfielders. As above, clubs are more likely to nominate their mids because a) they tend to accumulate the most (not necessarily contextually most impressive) statistics, and b) the most prominent posters tend to play in those positions for the aforementioned reasons. What this quota is doing is just reinforcing that cycle.

Mostly mids are nominated, so mostly mids are named, so there’s a logjam for midfield positions, so the best posters tend to play in those positions, so mostly mids are nominated, so mostly mids are named, and so on.

We just need to break that cycle, because it doesn’t make sense. This is how you end up with completely nonsensical decisions, like I Dont Care in a back pocket.

Also, for clarity, I don’t think there should be an interchange-specific position in the All-Sweet FA team, but I do think that all players should be appropriately considered based on their performance throughout the season in context of that position.
Me for CHB all SFA yeah?

A few things to note:

Very astute and well thought out, almost as if planned for a debate of some sort

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Season 35 100%! Where are the match threads, is this another negative strike on KP's record?

Back