Season Over Thread - What are your final thoughts on our season?

Remove this Banner Ad

The season from hell really. Started out missing quite a few star players, everytime we got one back we'd lose another 2. Nothing has really gone right for us the entire year, almost all of our players have injured themselves and haven't been anywhere near 100%. We have lacked a experienced Backline all year, never having a full strength backline has cost us dearly. Croady was noticably missed for mine, was able to hold off some of the big full forwards. Also Gilham missing for a good part of the year cut our defense down greatly and cost us in a few games.

On the other hand its been a good year to toy around with the kids, get them some game time and see who can stand up on the big stage. The list of players this year that have been given a run would be greater than most other clubs I'd imagine. Some that have stood out for mine have been Bailey (who looks as though his career could be at the crossroads sadly, Shoenmakers has been impressive, Sheils has shown great potential, Whitecross was good, Kennedy has come of age, Dowler has started to look good, still needs a bit of work but that'll come and the list goes on.

The benefit of this is that next year, if we lose a player from anywhere on the ground, we know who can fill that spot as we have had new layers play all over the ground. The way to look at todays game is to note some of the key players that have been missing from our squad. Firstly, Buddy and Roughie weren't out there and Willo was also not out there. Last year these 3 players were major key players in our side and made up our deep forward line structure. We all know all the players missing so i wont list them but really next year we have a lot of players who will stand up, we have a great midfield, great forward line and our defense should hopefully be boosted come round 1 2010.

And while I'm at it, ihope the news for Bailey is the best it could possibly be, i hope he doesn't require a reconstruction and that he will bounce back and be even more eager to play on next year. The kid can play and deserves to play. Sadly luck isnt on his side :(

Re: Season Over Thread

Umpiring in the 3rd was terrible!!
Not only the 3rd...Was disgraceful all day! When I saw that scum McLaren was one of the umpires, my heart sank! I just knew he would be totally biased towards the scum. Then again, what's new?? They should call him a vampire, he puts his fangs into us every time he umpires us..You are a DISGRACE McLaren..If I had a voodoo doll, you wouldn't be here today to umpire, I can tell you!!

Fantastic effort by the guys today. I was scared seeing Hodge and Brown on the TV! Looking forward to a big off season.

Finals like game can only help young guys like Schoey, Shiels, Savage, Milne, etc.

Lots of positives to take from the season though. Between the young guys getting games and the improvement in guys like Moss, Renouf, Rioli... Blokes coming back from big operations like Musto and Bails.

Wish Brown had killed Lloyd today, would of made my day.

Lloyd should get 4-5 imo. Whats the bet that if her plays on the only time you guys play Essendon is when he is suspended??

Best of luck for 2010 guys.

Our season was a massive failure. Please dont try and tell me it wasnt because everyone had high expectations for Hawks this year, myself included, and we failed.

There were positives though, such as young kids gaining some handy experience and learning lessons the hard way. We also know which players we do need and which players we dont need as well as which areas to work on over the pre-season.

Rare glimpses of brilliance throughout the season, I want that brilliance shining all throughout 2010 because we can sure do it!

Honestly, i think today plus the whole Buddy incident will be good for the Hawks next year. They will be so fired up and out for blood - its exactly what i've felt we were missing in a lot of the games this year. A bit of passion!

But damn, i hope matty lloyd plays on next year, just so the hawks can get a bit of revenge. Anyone saying theres similarities between that and the buddy incident is smoking something. I look forward to browny belting him.

we had a terrible season, i must say one thing that was worse than our season was the umpiring this year, It was Sh.t... The fire in the belly needs to return over the summer and became a force again.

Lets be realistic people and try not to lose our heads. Yes right now I am gutted and I could say that the season was a failure but we were told from the beginning that we would struggle this year by people inside the club.

Week in week out we have struggled to put a strong team on the park but in the long run maybe this will be to our advantage.

I like the young guys I have seen and I think they are much better for the time they have been given. We surely will have more depth when we have the odd injury rather than when all our blokes are injured. I also think that from this year our leaders who have played have experienced the lowest feeling they would have ever felt and surely this will be the biggest motivator when they get all of the boys back on the park next year.

I look forward to '10 and for now I will have some time to myself to rest on the September school holidays. I say good luck to the Dogs for my husband and let them win one for once. Sure would make my household a lot happier. lol.:)

GO THE HAWKS '10!

Anyone else see the players get in a huddle after the game? Missing the finals this year in the long run will be a good thing for the club. We will be much hungrier next year. BRING ON 2010 already!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly, i think today plus the whole Buddy incident will be good for the Hawks next year. They will be so fired up and out for blood - its exactly what i've felt we were missing in a lot of the games this year. A bit of passion!

But damn, i hope matty lloyd plays on next year, just so the hawks can get a bit of revenge. Anyone saying theres similarities between that and the buddy incident is smoking something. I look forward to browny belting him.

I totally agree. I think the incidents of the past week, coupled with what happened with lloyd and loosing to the bombers will really fire the guys up over the preseason to get right and back into the thick of september action. we need to get thorp up and firing for next year. i think with a nice break and earlier preseason, the boys will step up. remember we arrived early in 2008, our window was meant to begin in 2010 anyway so fresh start! go hawks!

I view 2009 as taking 1 step backwards to take 2 steps forward. Geelong fell into the trap of not blooding new players last year (and lost a few as a result), but this year we may have even extended our 'Premiership Window' as a result of all our injuries!
:thumbsu:

There's a lot of pride and memberships -- and revenue -- at stake. The coaching and fitness staff has to get forensic over the coming days and weeks and design a revolutionary pre-season program for their charges.

Are they up to it?

While anyone defending a premiership missing next years finals would be dissapointing all is not lost

Last year you were deemed the youngest list which incurrs inconsistency amongst your youngsters

Lack of depth to cover injuries cost you this season

You will be back

Year destroyed by injury, but if we were told we would the premiership in 08, but miss the 8 in 09 we would take it every time...

And by blooding all our new players it should give us a good base for the next few years, remember our inconsistency in 07...

While anyone defending a premiership missing next years finals would be dissapointing all is not lost

Last year you were deemed the youngest list which incurrs inconsistency amongst your youngsters

You will be back
You have it in one!! We will be there next year..We had too many injuries, and sore players even if we did win today.. Next week would have been a nightmare..Glad we are finished, the players can get ready for next year now..A good pre season..And look out next year!!

All I can say is we tried hard, but Sewell's loss killed us.

With Bailey injuring his knee, it was just a shocking game.

Hope Lloyd gets 10 weeks and never plays again.
If I may, I would like to congratulate the Hawks on a season that never went their way from day one. I have no doubt that no other side in the competition, could have pushed for the finals so late in the season, with that amount of injuries. After the Buddy debacle of last week, I found myself in new territory, barracking for the hawks, and hoping that they would stick it to the AFL, and the MRC, by getting through to september. One thing I do know is that when the Hawks are around, there is a Buzz in the air, and the finals is weaker for not having them around.
Your efforts today were brilliant, and if the bombers take pride in running over the top of such a delibitated side, then they are severely kidding themselves if they think they can impact on the finals.
Anyway Hawks fans.....Respect to your side, and I look foward to meeting you in 2010. You should all be very proud of your club:thumbsu:

Wish Brown had killed Lloyd today, would of made my day.

Lloyd should get 4-5 imo. Whats the bet that if her plays on the only time you guys play Essendon is when he is suspended??

Best of luck for 2010 guys.
He plays for the scum...Do you honestly think he will go? I think Chance will go..Stupid thing to do...We need all our players out there first game next year..As it is we won't have Buddy..

If I may, I would like to congratulate the Hawks on a season that never went their way from day one. I have no doubt that no other side in the competition, could have pushed for the finals so late in the season, with that amount of injuries. After the Buddy debacle of last week, I found myself in new territory, barracking for the hawks, and hoping that they would stick it to the AFL, and the MRC, by getting through to september. One thing I do know is that when the Hawks are around, there is a Buzz in the air, and the finals is weaker for not having them around.
Your efforts today were brilliant, and if the bombers take pride in running over the top of such a delibitated side, then they are severely kidding themselves if they think they can impact on the finals.
Anyway Hawks fans.....Respect to your side, and I look foward to meeting you in 2010. You should all be very proud of your club:thumbsu:
Thanks mate..Appreciate your thoughts..

You will be back

Yeah dude!

Remove this Banner Ad

Season Over Thread - What are your final thoughts on our season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back