Security at AFL grounds

Remove this Banner Ad

Other groups didn't force changes on us to accommodate/appease them, and didn't need to be watched like a hawk. Muslims from the troubled zone will cost us far more to assimilate. Perhaps everything.

What it means to be 'Australian' has become so nebulous, I think this country is far, far more tolerant of other demographics than it was, except those who want to kill us.

so were australians terrorists when they killed asians in the lead up to the white australia policy? were australians terrorists when they killed italians in kal?

they probably were but that fringe element wasn't defeated by isolation etc

we must consider terrorism isn't a muslim thing, its an ignorance thing and fringe islamic groups don't have a mortgage over that. that said, I would crush this crap in a more "asian" way. There is no point punishing a terrorist, rather punish their friends, family, neighbours and fellow worshipers. That gets people and communities focused.

How about we continue this conversation while we're getting scanned for explosives on Boxing Day.

Once upon a time we called a spade, a spade. Now our leaders are too nervous about offending the friendlier Muslim nations to do so.

When the first crowd bomb goes off, we will question everything.
Rubbish, what you refer to as calling a spade a spade was calling an Aborigine an Abo or someone a Wog or any other litany of offensive names we used to dress up as 'banter'. If not being racist or offensive is so difficult, I would suggest the problem is not with society but with you.

My life is no different now than it was before, I enjoy going to the footy, a concert, drinking beer etc. I don't find myself under Sharia law or forced to pray to Mohammad. There's no appeasement going on.

There is no point punishing a terrorist, rather punish their friends, family, neighbours and fellow worshipers. That gets people and communities focused.

Getting way into SRP territory here but that is exactly what authorities are reluctant to do. We rely heavily on our Muslims to keep us safe from other Muslims.

Security at AFL grounds... might not be needed at Geelong, but how long before Etihad gets a fence? Is there enough room?
Rubbish, what you refer to as calling a spade a spade was calling an Aborigine an Abo or someone a Wog or any other litany of offensive names we used to dress up as 'banter'. If not being racist or offensive is so difficult, I would suggest the problem is not with society but with you.

My life is no different now than it was before, I enjoy going to the footy, a concert, drinking beer etc. I don't find myself under Sharia law or forced to pray to Mohammad. There's no appeasement going on.
Will return to this at an appropriate time.

Getting way into SRP territory here but that is exactly what authorities are reluctant to do. We rely heavily on our Muslims to keep us safe from other Muslims.

Security at AFL grounds... might not be needed at Geelong, but how long before Etihad gets a fence? Is there enough room?

Will return to this at an appropriate time.
Spot on. Vilifying all for the cowardly actions of a minority would be sheer stupidity. The majority of Muslims we don't have a problem with.

KP would still have to undergo a security view and upgrade if seem appropriate. You can't have a major weakness for any stadium. A cowardly incident at any venue would hold massive ramifications for any government, police force, league and venue. Not to mention anyone caught up in a cowardly act.

How about we continue this conversation while we're getting scanned for explosives on Boxing Day.

Once upon a time we called a spade, a spade.
Now our leaders are too nervous about offending the friendlier Muslim nations to do so.

After the first crowd bomb goes off, we will question everything.

Or your case a bullshitter, a bullshitter.

If any terrorist attrocity or scare did happen at the MCG, the fence would make it a lot harder to evacuate - a potential Hillsborough.

That's where I call bullshit. The Stade de France has a fence around it similar to what the MCG is going to get, how well did that work out a month ago?

They failed to get in to complete their intended goal and the authorities were then able to organise an orderly evacuation of a full stadium even with the majority of the main exit concourse blocked off. So a fence at the Stade de France not only saved lives but helped with the evacuation when a terriorist attack took place.

Pretty pissweak - and that's coming from an experienced security guard.

The only way to get it done properly is a costly exercise and that is to apply airport level/court level security with x-ray screening of bags and patrons alike.

Speaking from experience of the 2006 Commonwealth Games, where I got my start in the industry, that level of security was applied and it worked well.

The question for me then is - are we all prepared to put up with such security levels?
Airport security at domestic terminals is pretty much non existent in terms of detecting anything dangerous thst isn't heavily metallic. And I also love the fact at international screen points they take your bottles of liquid away as they may be an explosive threat and what do they do with this potential liquid explosive? Yep put it in a bin right next to them. Must be really dangerous. It's all just a show for people's peoce of mind. The real security is the Feds, CIA, etc finding people who are threats. Everything we see is just a show.

1 Because it will make things cost more.

2 Because people are dubious about the effectiveness of these measures

3 Because it will make it more difficult to quickly get into the event
4 It only heightens the "us v them" scenario that has been pushed and so many small minds have fallen hook line and sinker for. That people are already calling it "The terrorist fence" only reinforces this situation.

Your earlier post from a couple of pages back about the security game and how it works was spot on.

The whole thing if ****ed.

This is the ugly reality of politics in 2015. Yes, there is risk, but this does little to address it.

Good god, what would some people here be like if they lived in the UK in the '80s, they would have erected a barb wire fence around Northern Ireland.
Was in Northern Ireland in the 90s. 20 foot high reinforced fences around every police station with guard towers. Security checks at every club and bar. Police patrols in armoured cars, and no one thought it political posturing, or the security industry tooting its own horn. Having police stations, and bars and clubs blown up brings about that attitude.

If there are no fences, or enhanced security measures at big public sports events, and hundreds die in a big bombing, what happens next?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

"You" or "we" dont define terrorists. Terrorists are defined by authorities in accordance with their aims at the time. Nelson Mandela was a terrorist once apparently.
He once believed in violence against society to achieve political change. Hence he was a terrorist at that time. That he then changed his mind and his life philosophy doesn't invalidate the earlier label.

Was in Northern Ireland in the 90s. 20 foot high reinforced fences around every police station with guard towers. Security checks at every club and bar. Police patrols in armoured cars, and no one thought it political posturing, or the security industry tooting its own horn. Having police stations, and bars and clubs blown up brings about that attitude.

If there are no fences, or enhanced security measures at big public sports events, and hundreds die in a big bombing, what happens next?

Fences around police stations because they were a direct target. But even though terrorist acts were committed against England, they didn't go about fencing off the whole country. We have security checks at bars and clubs now too (plenty of places doing licence checks as a matter of course), as well as security at football grounds.

This fence would not stop an attack, but if there is one, people will lay the blame on the government for pretending that it could stop one in the first place.

Fences around police stations because they were a direct target. But even though terrorist acts were committed against England, they didn't go about fencing off the whole country. We have security checks at bars and clubs now too (plenty of places doing licence checks as a matter of course), as well as security at football grounds.

This fence would not stop an attack, but if there is one, people will lay the blame on the government for pretending that it could stop one in the first place.
Fences around police stations that were a direct target because they worked. England was not trying to make a political point with them, they were stopping by the bombings

Other groups didn't force changes on us to accommodate/appease them, and didn't need to be watched like a hawk. Muslims from the troubled zone will cost us far more to assimilate. Perhaps everything.

What it means to be 'Australian' has become so nebulous, I think this country is far, far more tolerant of other demographics than it was, except those who want to kill us.
You realise everything you're saying about Muslims, Aboriginals could say the exact same thing about white people?

"We will rue the day we let these people in"
"Force changes on us to accomodate/appease them"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worked at the cricket last night (BBL Stars game)
The fence is a joke and as soon as there is more than 40k rocking up it's going to be a shit fight...

I know security were only doing a job they'd been employed to do but I couldn't help but give them sarcastic remarks about being over reactive...

I actually got wanded going to the 'G... I'd never thought something lke that would happen...

But we love a good boogyman, need something to be scared of...

The fence is a joke and as soon as there is more than 40k rocking up it's going to be a shit fight...

I know security were only doing a job they'd been employed to do but I couldn't help but give them sarcastic remarks about being over reactive...

I actually got wanded going to the 'G... I'd never thought something lke that would happen...

Maybe the fence can act to keep the cricket fans in. BBL sucks and the Boxing Day test is looking very uncompetitive.

I can't help but think of security guards taking money and participating in this as the same type of people that rounded up jews in the 40s

I can't help but think of security guards taking money and participating in this as the same type of people that rounded up jews in the 40s
I can't help but think that is one of the most disturbing and misguided statements ever entered on bigfooty.

hmm.. I'm all for hyberbolic remarks about people's occupations - and I have made that exact same comment about ticket inspectors on trains and trams... but maybe I'm losing my harder edge as I don't quite see that for these security guards... but they will cop my sarcastic comments though

4 It only heightens the "us v them" scenario that has been pushed and so many small minds have fallen hook line and sinker for. That people are already calling it "The terrorist fence" only reinforces this situation.

Your earlier post from a couple of pages back about the security game and how it works was spot on.

The whole thing if stuffed.
5. The MCC will let the terrorists in as long as they're wearing a collared shirt and shoes. They're more effective at keeping the riff raff out than a storm fence and flogs manning an open entrance with metal detectors. Stupid idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Security at AFL grounds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back