Security at AFL grounds

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand that there is a terror risk in our current society which is unfortunate but I also feel like those risks are magnified through the media and the government which breeds fear, resulting in measures like this being put in place, regardless of how impractical they are

It'll be mostly safe until there's a bomb.

Can't help but feel the whole idea is / was behind a kind of "risk mitigation" strategy, if something were to happen (unfortunately there is little anyone could do to stop it regardless of the fencing, security etc) they could put their hands up and say "we built a fence to keep everyone safe, we did our best".

I understand that there is a terror risk in our current society which is unfortunate but I also feel like those risks are magnified through the media and the government which breeds fear, resulting in measures like this being put in place, regardless of how impractical they are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly, it's not about doing something, it's about being seen to be doing something. This is more a PR exercise than it is a practical attempt to reduce the threat of terrorism.

What's to stop some terrorists driving up in SUVs and running down a few 100 people who are neatly lined up in a 250m long line ?
What's stopping some suicide bomber waiting in the long line outside this new fence and taking out a few hundred people.Do it last night and they would've hit the jackpotwith the amount of people lined up.

These measures are definitely effective. It's a well established fact that when faced with the erection of a giant fence, terrorists simply shrug their shoulders and decide not to bother with their nefarious plans.

... just don't tell them about that nearby train station with tens of thousands of people standing around on platforms and no security checks whatsoever!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're all missing the obvious answer; a giant fence around Australia. This terrorist-proof fence will allow us to sleep easy at last.

I think we have that already

AllanBorder.png

Watched 2 people jump the fence while waiting in line. I got through both the fence & the gates without being checked. One of the guys I was with apparently didn't even have a ticket.

In theory the fence is already a ridiculous idea, and in practice it actually managed to make security worse.

Bring back the curtain raiser and encourage people to arrive earlier.

Give all the VFL clubs one home game at the G as a curtain raiser if they want it. I would have thought a club like Franston, North Ballarat or Port Melbourne would love the chance to play at the 'G. Clubs can also go in a ballot for the remaining games.

Hopefully we could see a few double headers as footy supporters. Ie. Box Hill & Hawthorn would be great for Hawks fans.
We already give Carlton games at the MCG, now you want us to give them to other VFL standard teams too?

Exactly, it's not about doing something, it's about being seen to be doing something. This is more a PR exercise than it is a practical attempt to reduce the threat of terrorism.

Well this is how the security industry works. Suggest something (which pays security industry money), if you don't do it and something happens it works to show you could have done something but you didn't.

It's a huge, long con and I'm happy to see most ITT see it for what it is.

Btw the solution to the fence issues is more security guards and more infrastructure and on and on we go.

What's stopping some suicide bomber waiting in the long line outside this new fence and taking out a few hundred people.Do it last night and they would've hit the jackpotwith the amount of people lined up.
I know this sounds terrible but its more about limiting the collateral damage that a bomb could pose going off inside/close to the actual stadium. It definitely has nothing to do with the amount of people that would be killed but could you imagine the devastation of killing 100 people and destroying a part of the MCG over killing 100 people. Its all about making a statement for terrorists and that would have a larger impact in terms of economic factors if they were to hault the use of the MCG for weeks/months.

The somewhat nebulous reasoning given by Police Commissioner Stephen Leane when the fence was announced was "From a counter-terrorism point of view, the further away you can be from solid objects, the better outcome it's going to be for the people around. From that simple point of view it's quite ugly to think through it, but it's the reality."

Remove this Banner Ad

Security at AFL grounds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back