Security at AFL grounds

Remove this Banner Ad

If ASIO, like the CIA with all their increased budgets in the light of ongoing "terrorist" activity, cannot stop them, a few extra security guards at matches won't be much help unless the social climate rises to the point of demanding a complete police state ie. everyone at every match and every other significant event is subject to a complete search prior to entry.

This issue inevitably becomes a matter of discerning as a society how much freedom we are willing to trade for security. A little like the argument over speed limits and road safety. A society could opt for all to drive at a maximum of 40km/h but this would compromise on the psyche of the public as much as it would the economy.

A "completely safe"* police state would not only bring economic and psychological compromise, but would also challenge the very notions of living in a free society.

* May never be completely safe

If ASIO, like the CIA with all their increased budgets in the light of ongoing "terrorist" activity, cannot stop them, a few extra security guards at matches won't be much help unless the social climate rises to the point of demanding a complete police state ie. everyone at every match and every other significant event is subject to a complete search prior to entry.
Already, the problem is we have 'too much security'. ASIO (and the CIA) are so intent on having access to everything that they ensure they have too much information to practically sift through. The French terrorists were already on the radar of French intelligence, so again, it's not that they didn't have the information, it's that they didn't know what to do with it all. Australia's metadata retention laws will just add to this.

We should be demanding more sophisticated intelligence and security, not just 'more' security.

they're not going to **** with anything big in australia for a while yet. we only just got that little cafe thing in sydney to scare us a bit, we'll probably get some little scares at bathurst or something like that, just made up threats to increase security levels. they aren't going to bomb a stadium in australia. people should read the papers less and use their brains more.
Unless you have inside info, I am just going to ignore you then telling me what ISIS are going to do.

Reality is ISIS do no know what they are going to do. They just put out a call for someone to do something big, and they find out about it like everyone else does, on the news.

If there is a nutter planning a bomb in a stadium, then an attack may be imminent, but if there is not, then it isn't.

The guy planning to bomb the stadium turned around when he saw he was not likely to get in, and detonated outside. There he killed a few people.

If he had got in, and caused a stampede, he could have killed thousands.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Increasing security with pat downs, metal detectors & dogs etc would be pandering to the cowardly terrorist's wants.

Not increasing security only enlargens the possibility of an undetected attack. Imagine the public uproar in hindsight our government would take.

The point is these cowards want us to live in fear and change our way of life.

For better or worse I say we keep it as it is.

Unless you have inside info, I am just going to ignore you then telling me what ISIS are going to do.

i am better than an insider - i am on the outside :D

Increasing security with pat downs, metal detectors & dogs etc would be pandering to the cowardly terrorist's wants.

Not increasing security only enlargens the possibility of an undetected attack. Imagine the public uproar in hindsight our government would take.

The point is these cowards want us to live in fear and change our way of life.

For better or worse I say we keep it as it is.

No, what they really want is for us to continue with our misguided tolerance and acceptance and and our naivete towards the issue.

"misguided tolerance" of what? Terrorism? Are you daft?
No, the lack of background checks in allowing "refugees" (see Abaaoud from the Paris attacks) into Europe without doing proper background checks or even knowing who they are in a lot of places.

The French and Belgians have arrested hundreds of people involved in terrorist activities in the last week or so, I'll give you a clue, they didn't just find out about these people after Paris, they had prior knowledge and Intel on them and it took 130 innocent people to die for them to actually act and crack down on these scumbags.

No, the lack of background checks in allowing "refugees" (see Abaaoud from the Paris attacks) into Europe without doing proper background checks or even knowing who they are in a lot of places.

The French and Belgians have arrested hundreds of people involved in terrorist activities in the last week or so, I'll give you a clue, they didn't just find out about these people after Paris, they had prior knowledge and Intel on them and it took 130 innocent people to die for them to actually act and crack down on these scumbags.

You speak like European countries are surrounded by water like Australia and it's an easy thing to stop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People go on about gaining "intelligence" and whilst it is important its hardly a massive weapon against attacks. These groups now flood the internet with propaganda videos that 90% of the people that see it, wont give it another thought. However its the 10% that causes the issue. "Intelligence" is not going to top some person sitting at home , watching these videos and being manipulated by them, said person googles how to make a bomb and can detonate it any where they choose. Football, school, hospital etc. These attacks are not always orchestrated by sophisticated organisations and thats why we need to have as much first level securities such as metal detectors etc. Whilst you cannot have them everywhere, they should be present at heavily populated places/events

We are heading way off topic here.

Let's say our football grounds install x-ray screening of baggage and people, as the airports and courts currently do (fair chance most of us have experienced that already).

The cost factor is a major drawback.

These machines cost $1000s to install and maintain.

Then we look at guards to do the job. These guards have to be trained...off the top of my head, I only know of one institution that trains guards in the screening of baggage and people, Kangan Batman TAFE at Broadmeadows. So that is a cost for training.

Then there is the cost of the security company winning the tender to do the screening. Again, only MSS Security and Wilson Security have trained guards in that field (both courts and airports). AFAIK, Securecorp for example doesn't have a contract in that regard, therefore may not have the knowledge or expertise in that field.

I read the point about the make-up of the guards doing the checking currently..nice little bit of racism there, however factual it might be.

Sadly the bag checking that does occur is basically - open the bag...any cans? go through. That's not bag checking or anything remotely like decent security.

People go on about gaining "intelligence" and whilst it is important its hardly a massive weapon against attacks. These groups now flood the internet with propaganda videos that 90% of the people that see it, wont give it another thought. However its the 10% that causes the issue. "Intelligence" is not going to top some person sitting at home , watching these videos and being manipulated by them, said person googles how to make a bomb and can detonate it any where they choose. Football, school, hospital etc. These attacks are not always orchestrated by sophisticated organisations and thats why we need to have as much first level securities such as metal detectors etc. Whilst you cannot have them everywhere, they should be present at heavily populated places/events

So we need a costly extra layer of security to prevent something that hasn't happened yet?

So we need a costly extra layer of security to prevent something that hasn't happened yet?
No plane in australia has been blown up yet, should we scrap security at airports in australia?

Security doesnt stop something after its happened, its a preventative measure. The afl constantly brags that it is one of the most attended sports in the world, yet has no security measures in place

No plane in australia has been blown up yet, should we scrap security at airports in australia?

Security doesnt stop something after its happened, its a preventative measure. The afl constantly brags that it is one of the most attended sports in the world, yet has no security measures in place

The airplane analogy is way off. Airport security is vital because on a plane if something goes wrong everyone generally dies, given they are in a huge metal container a long way off the ground.

Security in these sorts of cases (ie metal detectors) generally is directed at stopping something after it has happened for the first time. In a situation where there is no credible threat, and the event has never happened, a costly and time consuming exercise should be undertaken anyway?

"A witness, Izzydeen Atik, said the group's alleged leader, Abdul Nacer Benbrika, told him of the targets he intended to attack."

When I was in high school I told of the girls I was going to hook up with. It did not indicate the likelihood of that actually happening.
They probably had a better defensive deterrent than the MCG

I don't see it being too big of an issue for afl games, due to the lack of global popularity of the game

The big cricket games however
Do not think they took the popularity of the band into account when attacking the concert hall. Maybe they figured mowing down masses of people with assault rifles would generate some publicity regardless?

What we need are snipers in the towers people, snipers in the towers!
When Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis retire they can join Brown and Lake already up there. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Security at AFL grounds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back