Review Semi Final, 2024 - GWS vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• [1] Kai Lohmann

• [3] Joe Daniher

• [4] Callum Ah Chee

• [5] Josh Dunkley

• [6] Hugh McCluggage

• [7] Jarrod Berry

• [8] Will Ashcroft

• [9] Lachie Neale

• [13] Logan Morris

• [15] Dayne Zorko

• [16] Cam Rayner

• [23] Charlie Cameron

• [26] Conor McKenna (sub)

• [28] Jaspa Fletcher

• [30] Eric Hipwood

• [31] Harris Andrews

• [33] Zac Bailey

• [35] Ryan Lester

• [37] Brandon Starcevich

• [40] Jack Payne

• [43] Noah Answerth

• [44] Darcy Wilmot

• [46] Oscar McInerney

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Far out. That was the most loud and animated I’ve been away from a stadium. The boys will believe anything is possible next week if we are behind early. It will be the least pressure we’ve been under going into a prelim. I hope the boys continue to play with flare and instinct. And it is great we are playing at a neutral venue at the MCG. Could be a great dress rehearsal.

I've calmed down a bit now, sorry peeps. I love youse all.

The boys even broke Zoblitz. He was meant to be the best of us.

I still can’t believe Joey kicked that goal from the boundary line. His show of emotion after he slotted it was beautiful.
I was actually pretty confident he’d kick that one. He’s kicked quite a few at the Gabba in front of us on that angle. The second one, which was a far easier kick scared the shit out of me though and was quite literally thinking this could go anywhere.

Something I noticed during the game that I was intending to take as a positive out of a loss (before the last quarter!) - but to paraphrase David King, we weren’t being beaten by what we knew. The Giants in both games earlier the season cut us up in the outside with fast run and carry. I actually think we went a good way to curbing that and it wasn’t really an issue - and that did make me happy even when we were losing.

The first 3 quarters, the difference was a) Hogan and b) we were just generally playing messily (which is uncharacteristic).

There should be quite a few "learnings to be had from that performance" but leave that for now
Who was our best. I am sure we will all have a different view on this.

I narrowed it down to, Daniher, Ashcroft & Berry as to who was our best.
The coaches' votes will be interesting
Berry & Ashcroft were consistent for 4 quarters (Berry disposals- 7,5,6,9) (Ashcroft- 4,6,7,10)
Jo had 13 disposals, 5 marks, 2 tackles and chased all day.
Daniher kicked clutch goals when needed and accurate with 4.1 for the game. Two pressure goals late in the last quarter.

I settled on Berry.
Wing breakup: He spent 65% time in the defensive half of the ground. This changed in the 4th quarter to 55% forward
One difference being disposal accuracy: Berry & Ashcroft @ 70%, Will at 55%. Jo even with 4.1 went at 69%
The other important one being intercepts: Berry with 8 (4 in the last) to 1 intercept each for Ashcroft and McCluggage.
Berry stats.
80% TOG 7% more than his season average. Meters gained 559 (average 318) his 2nd highest for the season.
27 disposals (13 contested), 2 goal assists, 5 score involvements, 6 marks, 5 I50's along with the above-mentioned stats.
Special mention to these players without the benefit of watching a replay.
Zorko did some silly things but redeemed himself as the game progressed.
A better game from Fletcher, he's been struggling. 13 disposals at 100% accuracy and that clutch goal to keep it at 100%.
Answerth game high 11 tackles and 13 disposals @ 84% accuracy.
Ah Chee showed his experience in this final and applied pressure all night. Great game from Ah Chee.

I was impressed by the players who hadn't had their best games. Hipwood, Paine, Ainswerth, Neale, Rayner and Bailey all contributed to goals in the comeback. Read the match day comments and it's very predictable to see the haters all come out from under their rocks or wherever they hide. I am sure they are not actual Lions supporters. Bez was fantastic the whole game and a special mention to Zorko, his entire game is high risk/high reward and there will always be some turnovers but his courage & will to win can never be underestimated. I don't think we would even have played finals without him.
We are the pride of Brisbane town!!!

Bloody hilarious watching these guys skirt around giving Joe the credit he deserved for last night.

The more old Llordo tells us how bad we are the more we keep winning.

I was impressed by the players who hadn't had their best games. Hipwood, Paine, Ainswerth, Neale, Rayner and Bailey all contributed to goals in the comeback. Read the match day comments and it's very predictable to see the haters all come out from under their rocks or wherever they hide. I am sure they are not actual Lions supporters. Bez was fantastic the whole game and a special mention to Zorko, his entire game is high risk/high reward and there will always be some turnovers but his courage & will to win can never be underestimated. I don't think we would even have played finals without him.
We are the pride of Brisbane town!!!
Nice post.

When do all 23 players on any side ever ALL have their "best games"??

It just doesn't work that way.

Typically you get 5 to 8 players who are standouts , another maybe 10 who are adequate and the other 7 or so who don't look like they are contributing much or who are struggling

It's ridiculous to demean the contributions of the "strugglers". Worse still , to pick out individuals for harsh criticism on the assumption they they are "lazy".

It's a team game.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Showed more vision of 'mistakes ' than the great things he did.

Since when have the mistakes of Hawkins ,Reiwoldt and dozens of others ever been highlighted.

Yep. Said this a few weeks ago. No other player in the league gets this type of treatment. Where he wins us a game but then they show all the negatives, being....giving away 1 free, a missed shot at goal and a bad kick lol. Its crazy. He is treated so unfairly. No wonder he wanted out of Melbourne and Essendon. Must have been unbearable.

Yep. Said this a few weeks ago. No other player in the league gets this type of treatment. Where he wins us a game but then they show all the negatives, being....giving away 1 free, a missed shot at goal and a bad kick lol. Its crazy. He is treated so unfairly. No wonder he wanted out of Melbourne and Essendon. Must have been unbearable.
He did 3 things during the game where he was just trying to help the team where it didn't quite turnout as he hoped and they're all highlighted as 'typical Joe brain fades'. FFS you see these 3 things happen multiple times in every game. A missed shot from the boundary ,an around the neck in a ruck contest and a kick that sprayed over the boundary.

And he did 20 things that were great , chased hard all night , made up for Hipwood and Morris having next to zero impact and rucked as well.

Apparently Joe isn't allowed to do anything unless it comes off and is perfect.

He did 3 things during the game where he was just trying to help the team where it didn't quite turnout as he hoped and they're all highlighted as 'typical Joe brain fades'. FFS you see these 3 things happen multiple times in every game. A missed shot from the boundary ,an around the neck in a ruck contest and a kick that sprayed over the boundary.

And he did 20 things that were great , chased hard all night , made up for Hipwood and Morris having next to zero impact and rucked as well.

Apparently Joe isn't allowed to do anything unless it comes off and is perfect.

Showing vision of him calling for the ball from Dunkley 50m and missing out on the full as a mistake is so funny. Love Dunks, but he can barely kick 40m and he was on the 50 arc.

Wasn't a high percentage shot to be sure, but no issue with Joe taking the responsibility there - just didn't execute.

I've kept receipts on those who wish for my boi Ah Chee to be out of the 22 next season. Let this be a warning to you. Never doubt my boi.

I've kept receipts on those who wish for my boi Ah Chee to be out of the 22 next season. Let this be a warning to you. Never doubt my boi.
He's awesome.

The clever little kick along the ground to Zorko and the 2 on 1 get and give off to Charlie resulted in goals that put us in the game. Both elite.

I won't count the one he dribbled along the ground to Hipwood for a goal because that was a fluke. But he got himself in the right position to have a hack at the ball and it paid off. That's 3 of the goals in the last quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Semi Final, 2024 - GWS vs. Brisbane Lions

Back