Review Semi Final, 2024 - GWS vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• [1] Kai Lohmann

• [3] Joe Daniher

• [4] Callum Ah Chee

• [5] Josh Dunkley

• [6] Hugh McCluggage

• [7] Jarrod Berry

• [8] Will Ashcroft

• [9] Lachie Neale

• [13] Logan Morris

• [15] Dayne Zorko

• [16] Cam Rayner

• [23] Charlie Cameron

• [26] Conor McKenna (sub)

• [28] Jaspa Fletcher

• [30] Eric Hipwood

• [31] Harris Andrews

• [33] Zac Bailey

• [35] Ryan Lester

• [37] Brandon Starcevich

• [40] Jack Payne

• [43] Noah Answerth

• [44] Darcy Wilmot

• [46] Oscar McInerney

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely not. His elbows got him in his back. Coniglio got injured when his cheek struck Cadman’s hip.

It’d be bold for the afl to suspend a gws giants player for causing head high contact with his own team mate

Unreal stuff, The Lions really wanted it more, I thought GWS were a shoe-in before the match, but can Brisbane overcome Geelong? 🤔 I think The Lions will have a strong start against Geelong, next week, because The Cats will be rusty from the long break, it's just gonna be how long they can hold them off after the strong start.

I just don't get the Joe is flakey thing and he's finally proven himself the media is going with.

He's been outstandingly consistent ever since he joined us.

Didn't any of these guys watch the GF last year ? Or just about any final he's played in tbh
Pls get out of my head Joe....I need some sleepppppppp.

I just don't get the Joe is flakey thing and he's finally proven himself the media is going with.

He's been outstandingly consistent ever since he joined us.

Didn't any of these guys watch the GF last year ? Or just about any final he's played in tbh.

It’s from:
1 his Essendon days
2 David king every year potting joe and selecting 2 moments from a game where joe doesn’t chase (you could do this for any forward in the league in any match)

It’s unfair and perpetuated by hacks like David king. It’s why I think king genuinely hates us, there’s no other explanation for why he’d pick Joe out so consistently like this

Still sinking in & I feel numb. Have struggled to sleep & eventually gave up. Got up at 5am & watched the 2nd half again.

They just got it done not playing our usual brand. An incredible will to fight it out.

Berry & Ah Chee outstanding when the chips were down. Others followed their lead.

Enjoy. ❤️

I booked my flights and accommodation to the Grand final after the Gold Coast Suns match and for a lot of last night had my bottom lip out and fingers on the cancellation buttons.

Go you good things.

Ahh Chee and Answerth played full matches, well done boys. Answerrth seems the answer to the problems we have had with small forwards getting away against us.

Our box of chocolates were the good ones tonight, Joe is player of the finals for me so far.

I'll claim that as the arrival of Ashcroft as a leader in this team, he was the spark that just would not give up or be beaten. Old man Zorko was great also, showed what it means to fight for a win.

Here we go, here we go, here we go.

Sad the Reserves were knocked out, Forte, Joyce and Sharp would have made a difference in that but they had to travel for coverage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, I’m awake now. I was so pumped, I couldn’t go to sleep until nearly midnight.

What an amazing game! When we were 40 points down, I wasn’t even disappointed. They were just better than us, would be worthy grand finalists.
Even in the last quarter when we were coming back, I didn’t expect us to win.
Even when we hit the front, there was 2 minutes to go. We were in front in the Grand final with 2 minutes to go. I fully expected us to lose.
I’m still amazed!

Joe Daniher! I take back all the bad things I ever said about him. When Joe is on your team, you’re either in the penthouse or the basement. Last night we were in the penthouse, looking out across a city that is ours to command. Next week… um …

When we were losing, I thought, “They’re doing to us, what they did to Sydney for three quarters last week. If only we had a player like Heaney to carry the team on his back.”
And then came Ashcroft!
19 years old. What a Star! He’s a Lauchie Neale mark 2. Now we have two of them. 😂

I love footy! ❤️

Lost for words 10 hours later! Truly remarkable. Going so far behind actually meant we had to just play chaos football and it worked.

Joey Daniher just played the best qtr of footy in his career. The goal was amazing from the boundary. However, the mark in last few mins against one of the best fullbacks in the game was so impressive.

You don't get to experience wins like that often - let alone in a semi final. Let's hope the boys can carry that wave of jubilation and belief for the remaining two games. You could see what meant it to Zorks and Joey and few other older players who know their chances are running out.

I don't need to go on about Ashcroft, it's all been said already. But, if he plays in GF last year we win.

Berry was so good last night. Just ran and ran and never stopped trying. McCluggage was the Rolls Royce again. When we were struggling to make good decisions with the ball in hand - Hugh stands up and is just in a different league at times.

Ah Chee probably played his best game for the club. Just kept presenting and also did a job on Whitfield. I had him in top 3/4 players for us last night.

Also Oscar on his 150th game was beaten most of the night. Last qtr he stepped up and was a big reason we won. He is a great story the big O.

On the downside I thought Payne looked very limited. Could only run in straight lines. Hogan is a super player so no shame in getting beaten by him. But, Jack is no where near 90% fit at present.

So the Cats are next. They should will be confident and rested up. But, they have a massive Achilles heel. They have a midfield that doesn't have the quality or bat as deep as our's does. I would be very tempted to play McKenna next week and bring in another mid as sub and take Morris out. We need to run them off their legs. Morris won't get much change from Geelong defence. Run run run run and see if they can match us for 4 qtrs.

Go Lions.

No, but worried about this week. Also, Carlton were not much opposition. They were seriously hampered by multiple injuries. The point was made in the article I posted that Rayner tends to go well in the first week of finals. He was great against Port Adelaide in the Qualifying Final last year too. The issue appears to be that as the stakes rise and the opposition gets stronger, his performances fall away radically. Let’s hope this year is different. If football journalists are writing columns in the mainstream media about the issue and other supporters have been pointing this out for a number of seasons, it’s clearly not just me.

If you’re using the venal outrage trolls calling themselves football ‘journalists’ to justify your own negativity about Rayner then I don’t know how to help you…they literally make their living from picking certain players and making unfair statements about them…they too ignore the good games and focus on the bad ones 🤷‍♂️

So go ahead and irrationally hate the guy - I feel that way about Daicos - but you won’t convince others that you’re being objective about it by quoting ‘The Paper’

No doubt cue the VIC media saying during the week that Fages went over the top and was carrying on like they did years ago when he did something similar but who gives a stuff; I loved it. They’ll slam you for doing a Kenny and will sneer at Fages.

Yeah they’ll always find an angle to have a go at Brisbane and Sydney…it’s always harder for us

I loved hearing Longmire recently telling Fly to go and **** himself while also throwing some love to Fages!

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Semi Final, 2024 - GWS vs. Brisbane Lions

Back