Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not sure how the selection process that lead to Hird's appointment was a farce because it wasted the time of potential candidates.

It's called "Plan B".

"Plan A" was to put the Hird/Thompson panel together but it was never something that was set in stone and it ultimately took what seems to be a combination of He Who Should Not Be Named*, Thompson and Watson to talk Hird into the job.

What does a professional organisation do? Hold off commencement of the broader selection process in case Plan A falls through or go ahead to ensure that it is in a position to appoint a coach in time for trade and draft period?

I have absolutely no problem "wasting the time" of more "quality football people" if it turns out that a genuine recruitment process, as opposed to messiah complex appointment, decides that the job is Worsefold's to take.

This criticism of wasting candidates time is just more drivel dished up from people whose only experience is living in the fantasy land of AFL football.

*David Evans

Of course the club wasted the time of people in the Hird case and in other instances - You fail to understand that you never attract all QUALITY candidates because of the clubs past history - It's simple if the club wants Worsfold sign him up as soon as possible - You have your person, then you don't have to go through a sham exercise.

Of course the club wasted the time of people in the Hird case and in other instances - You fail to understand that you never attract all QUALITY candidates because of the clubs past history - It's simple if the club wants Worsfold sign him up as soon as possible - You have your person, then you don't have to go through a sham exercise.

Anyone with a brain would not take it personally.

I think people are getting confused with the Hird appointment and the selection panel that was told to choose Thompson at the end of 2013.

Despite what people are saying any coach in waiting would jump at any senior role at any AFL club. The opportunities to coach at the senior level are too few and far between for candidates to be picky. The selection of the next coach is crucial, instead of looking at who there is to appoiint they should look at the selection process itself. I would look at Hawks and Freo even Port to see how they selected the best candidate.

Brad Sewell is interesting
Very interesting. Don't think I want a Hawthorn person knocked out by Matthew Lloyd, sparking an all out brawl, being a part of the selection committee.

In all seriousness, I'm sure the club thinks that he is the right person.

Craig Bellamy is also an interesting choice. Wouldn't he be worried about his own team?

Essendon Football Club has officially commenced the recruitment process to appoint its next Senior Coach.

A five person sub-committee led by Chief Executive Officer, Xavier Campbell, will oversee the appointment.

The sub-committee consists of;

· Xavier Campbell - CEO

· Chris Heffernan – Essendon Football Director and Premiership Player (2000)

· Lisa Lawry - General Manager of People and Culture

· Neale Daniher - Essendon Captain, Melbourne Coach (1998 -2007), and GM Football Operations West Coast Eagles (2008 – 2013)

· Brad Sewell – Hawthorn Premiership Player (2008 and 2013) and AFLPA Board Member

As part of the selection process the sub-committee will also consult with a number of internal and external stakeholders.

“We have assembled the sub-committee and established a thorough recruitment process to ensure we can appoint the best person available to be the next Senior Coach of the Essendon Football Club,” Campbell said.

“When we sat down to form the panel we wanted to ensure the final sub-committee had diverse experience across the AFL industry.”

“Neale, Brad and Chris understand what’s required to build a successful football culture, they have firsthand knowledge of the demands of coaching at senior level, they have a strong grasp of the day-to-day operations of a professional football club and a clear understanding of how the game is evolving.”

“Lisa is an important member of the Club’s executive and will manage the recruitment process. We look forward to drawing on her vast corporate experience gained during her time at BP.”

The Club expects it will be in a position to make an announcement in October ahead of the 2016 pre-season.

“This is a particularly important decision for the football Club,” Campbell said.

“The process will take several weeks, and will conclude with the Board’s endorsement of the successful candidate.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very interesting. Don't think I want a Hawthorn person knocked out by Matthew Lloyd, sparking an all out brawl, being a part of the selection committee.

In all seriousness, I'm sure the club thinks that he is the right person.

Craig Bellamy is also an interesting choice. Wouldn't he be worried about his own team?
Not sure I think Bellamy is capable of performing both roles. Great choice though. As for Sewell it's interesting he accepted nothing to do with Lloyd though. Has a good footy brain.

Not sure I think Bellamy is capable of performing both roles. Great choice though. As for Sewell it's interesting he accepted nothing to do with Lloyd though. Has a good footy brain.
If you check the press release, Bellamy hasn't been selected. Was only mentioned by BT.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

Back