Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you saying worsfolds the man we need or someone we shouldn't touch with a 10ft pole

I am not too fussed if we get Worsfold - Point is Worsfold doesn't have to go through all stages of a formal selection process - You can't have a selection process and then turn around and appoint Worsfold.

I am not too fussed if we get Worsfold - Point is Worsfold doesn't have to go through all stages of a formal selection process - You can't have a selection process and then turn around and appoint Worsfold.
Why not?

You can't have a selection process and then turn around and appoint Worsfold.

Why is it so impossible?

They may already know what they need to about him. Interviewing others would let them know the same amount about each candidate as they know about Worsfold. Weigh up what you now know about all of them and get the answer.

Is that so hard to figure out?

Why is it so impossible?

They may already know what they need to about him. Interviewing others would let them know the same amount about each candidate as they know about Worsfold. Weigh up what you now know about all of them and get the answer.

Not enough ranting or grandstanding

Why is it so impossible?

I agree but it's also not just what we know about them, it's what the applicants know about our club & the vision they have for our future! That needs to be heard by each & every applicant....

Why is it so impossible?

The way I see it you can only really appoint Worsefold if he is part of the process.

We need to be absolutely satisfied that he is the right man for the job and that he is a better candidate than anyone else out there.

We can speculate about his appropriateness based on past achievements but he will need to be grilled to ensure that the perceptions are the reality.

The way I see it you can only really appoint Worsefold if he is part of the process.

We need to be absolutely satisfied that he is the right man for the job and that he is a better candidate than anyone else out there.

We can speculate about his appropriateness based on past achievements but he will need to be grilled to ensure that the perceptions are the reality.

I'm not for a second suggesting he should get the job without having a good look at him.

There would however already be a base knowledge that the club build on that applicants that haven't been in the system as long as he has would have to demonstrate.

The main thing for me is.

Do we REALLY want Worsfold to be our coach or do we just want someone with experience? To me Worsfold has been out of coaching for a while and if he hadn't stepped in to help Adelaide we wouldn't be talking about him at all.

Worsfold to me just seems like someone that people want because he might bring stability to our club without being too concerned about what he will produce on the field.

I would much rather we get a new coach that has experience as an assistant that has a brand new idea on what he wants the club to be. Its all well and good to stabilize the club but where will that take us? Give me someone new has the motivation to put his take on the club and create a whole new on and off field culture.
  • No more poor team selection
  • No more playing injured players
  • Has the willpower to drop under forming players
  • Make bold recruiting decisions
  • Creating a new game plan (because ours currently does not work)
  • Flair
  • + more

Do we REALLY want Worsfold to be our coach or do we just want someone with experience? To me Worsfold has been out of coaching for a while and if he hadn't stepped in to help Adelaide we wouldn't be talking about him at all.

Worsfold to me just seems like someone that people want because he might bring stability to our club without being too concerned about what he will produce on the field.

I would much rather we get a new coach that has experience as an assistant that has a brand new idea on what he wants the club to be. Its all well and good to stabilize the club but where will that take us? Give me someone new has the motivation to put his take on the club and create a whole new on and off field culture.
  • Flair
  • + more
upload_2015-9-1_13-54-3.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

who's that?
giphy.gif

(Blake Caracella. 2000 Premiership player!)

• Flair
  • + more

I don't know whether Worsfold is the best choice for Essendon - I'd need to be convinced that he wants to coach for at least five seasons - but it's silly to cross him off the list because he has actual coaching experience.

He has a better coaching record than Paul Roos and has watched over a couple of rebuilds and premiership tilts. He has only been out of the top job for two seasons which is in reality absolutely nothing.

Given we cannot get Clarkson or Lyon - and Bomber obviously isn't a viable option - Worsfold would be an excellent choice provided he has a genuine desire to be back in the hot seat. An assistant coach might bring with them a sense of excitement but they fail just as often - if not more often - than successful coaches in a new job.

Would Worsfold be willing to pull a Paul Roos type job?

Worsfold + Blake Caracella or most promising candidate.

Would Worsfold be willing to pull a Paul Roos type job?

Worsfold + Blake Caracella or most promising candidate.

By next season we will have had 5 coaches within the span of a decade. Do we really need to have six within the span of 12 years?

Caracella is either ready to coach or he isn't. He has been in the system for long enough that if he isn't ready then no amount of hand holding by Worsfold will get him ready.

By next season we will have had 5 coaches within the span of a decade. Do we really need to have six within the span of 12 years?

Caracella is either ready to coach or he isn't. He has been in the system for long enough that if he isn't ready then no amount of hand holding by Worsfold will get him ready.
It's less about him being ready to coach and more about the club's situation not being appropriate for a first time coach.

It's less about him being ready to coach and more about the club's situation not being appropriate for a first time coach.

Coaching Essendon isn't that big of a risk is it? I'm sure the incoming bloke can handled it if things go pear shaped with Wada. These days the senior coach is more of a manger than football coach the days of when a coach had control of every one and everything are gone.

Last edited:
Caracella was my favorite player from that 2000 era of ours. Classy as it gets. My inner 7-year-old would love him to be appointed. Which is great because I let my inner 7-year-old make the majority of my now adult decisions.

Yep always thought 'silk' every time he grabbed the ball the bloke rarely fumbled and was classy around goals too.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

Back