SEQAFL Division 1 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon in time - and I say this with no "inside info" or knowledge of what discussions are being had - the NEAFL will contract to one comp of say 10-12 teams as a feeder/development league, perhaps with the 4 reserves teams + Southport, one of Redlands/Morningside, Aspley, NT, a couple of Sydney teams and a couple of ACT teams - with the others dropping back to a restructured SEQAFL, of which division 1 will be the primary senior comp in the state
i agree this is where its heading plus an NQ team,

I must agree that the Gold Coast is already well represented in the NEAFL comp! I do however think they should eventually introduce a Northern Rivers side. Not sure Palmy is the best positioned to be the Northern Rivers side but it could certainly be argued.

Should be a really good hit out against the tigers this weekend, A very strong side has been put in with only a couple still to return so hopefully the boys can take it right up to Labrador and gain a lot of confidence heading to the start of the season. Despite it still being half a year away!
Reckon a sunny coast or NQ side would be on the radar before a Nth Rivers side Kwhit.

Reckon a sunny coast or NQ side would be on the radar before a Nth Rivers side Kwhit.
It comes down to why the NEAFL exists. I thought it was about providing a strong comp for BL, Syd, GWS GC ressies, rather than promoting the game in QLD. If so, they won't care where the team comes from, just as long as it is competitive.

It comes down to why the NEAFL exists. I thought it was about providing a strong comp for BL, Syd, GWS GC ressies, rather than promoting the game in QLD. If so, they won't care where the team comes from, just as long as it is competitive.
i think it's that plus a pathway for talented kids. they'd be pretty keen to get a SC team in there i reckon to minimise travel for talented SC u/18s

Its about that Brereton and also to ensure young kids not in any of these 4 teams have an opportunity to compete against them. Alot of talented kids from say far nth Qld just can't be bothered with the travel, uprooting of their life to move to Brisbane to play. Bit different if a kid is drafted and on $80K minimum for this to happen, under the wing of an AFL club with all the support networks that go with it.

Harsh introduction to AP cup for UQ on the weekend. Beaten by 101points by a magpie outfit with 8 notable senior players missing. May be a long year ahead. Young kids were really impressive and did not look at of place.

Who were the 8 out griffyndor?
i know roscinski,hunt,woods honour,congoo,fozzard and beer were amongst the ones who missed. a relatively new look maggies with a sprinkling of the core senior group, fantastic to see the club continues to find some diamonds in the rough, dont discount ed mcdonell playing later in the year is currently doing triatholons or something.... how did palmy look against labrador? going down by about 6 goals is an amazing effort. great league this one genuine tribalism looking forward to seeing some great contests.. how is grange shaping up? another traditional club!

Wasn't at the game speedy but apparently pushed a full strength Labrador to the end! Where 14 points down with 8 min to play and obviously got touched up in the final minutes . Some great signs, and the two magpie boys apparently killed it. Couple old heads in round kicking 3 Arnie night giving plenty and Ianson giving plenty down back and in ruck so all in all a great hit out and plenty of confidence to be gained. Cooly next week so hopefully a full squad to pick from and another good hit out.

Wasn't at the game speedy but apparently pushed a full strength Labrador to the end! Where 14 points down with 8 min to play and obviously got touched up in the final minutes . Some great signs, and the two magpie boys apparently killed it. Couple old heads in round kicking 3 Arnie night giving plenty and Ianson giving plenty down back and in ruck so all in all a great hit out and plenty of confidence to be gained. Cooly next week so hopefully a full squad to pick from and another good hit out.

He says with tongue fairly placed in cheek!

i know roscinski,hunt,woods honour,congoo,fozzard and beer were amongst the ones who missed. a relatively new look maggies with a sprinkling of the core senior group, fantastic to see the club continues to find some diamonds in the rough, dont discount ed mcdonell playing later in the year is currently doing triatholons or something.... how did palmy look against labrador? going down by about 6 goals is an amazing effort. great league this one genuine tribalism looking forward to seeing some great contests.. how is grange shaping up? another traditional club!

Add Mitchell, Pope, Thompson to that list. UQ looked like they lacked forward options and defenders strong enough to handle the likes of Hockley, Moore and Corrie. Few talented midfielders but defintely need the group to stay together all season to see improvements.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah yeah,,:) Must have been the same philosophy John Blair had when he decided playing Caloundra on the wend was a good idea for Aspley's A graders..:confused:

That is one of the great mysteries! why would they play caloundra, wernt they div 4 last year? Must agree with 2010, why didnt aspley pick up the phone to labrador same distance away? Not that we are complaining!

Did Surfers play Robina over the weekend? Anybody watch the match, have heard along a very long grape vine that they only just got up?

UQ's Div 3 Seniors/Reserves side was also beaten by an understrength Woodsmen Div 4 side afterwards, so perhaps UQ sides in general are all going to struggle?

Fantastic to see the numbers they have though, fielding 5 senior sides is a impressive effort.

UQ's Div 3 Seniors/Reserves side was also beaten by an understrength Woodsmen Div 4 side afterwards, so perhaps UQ sides in general are all going to struggle?

Fantastic to see the numbers they have though, fielding 5 senior sides is a impressive effort.

G'day Thommo. Was a good hit out for me mates in the fours. Many thanks to the Woodsmen and Sherwood AFC for hosting. Disappointing day no doubt for the teams results wise, but good for a hit out anyway. Very much also laying back in the bar for a beer after the week I've had too.

Looking forward to watching the Division 4 comp now that UQ is in. Quite a few players in that reserves game against Woodsmen had never played before, but still loved it which is a positive.

It should be pointed out that the UQ boys won the Reserves game pretty comfortably. I didn't catch the final score as I had to duck out but by all reports, they were well in front in the last and ran out of legs due to 6 guys backing up in the ones who didn't play the second half. Still managed to hold on by 1 or 2 goals.

With the seniors, I know the boys were missing a few regulars from the side (sounds similar to the Magpies). They were well and truely outclassed but from what I have heard, were missing their first choice FB, CHF, FF and Ruck. As mentioned earlier, they were competitive in the middle, but just couldn't hold out the big boys at either end.

I think the club seems fairly realistic about where they will be at this year. They don't have the top end talent as yet (not having any player payments to hand out will make that hard), but they do have a good system in place from previous years and could surprise a few along the way. New coach/gameplan will also take a bit to get use to.

Looking forward to watching their year unfold as a proud old boy :)

Tough ask - playing last years Div 1 premiers no matter that the personnel wasn't identical. We all know the magpies never field crap sides at this level. No doubt Uni will find the jump up tough going but plaudits for coming back in - were always a good side to play against back in the 90's and have had their fair share of fellas go thru to better footy as well. 5 teams is a flipping great effort!

Not sure how many people talking about the UQ Maggie's game were actually there because nobody is describing what I saw. I watched all three games on the weekend.

The reserves side that the Magpies fielded was made up,of past players and blokes who haven't trained. One player actually got called up to play because there were so many players being rested in both grades that they were going to be short. UQ played ok but let's be honest, they narrowly defeated a side that was in reality a thirds /fourths Magpies team.

As for the seniors, the Magpies rested a lot more players than most appear to be saying. I counted 10 who were just watching. Only three or four of the players the Magpies fielded would be considered regular seniors. So really the UQ seniors were defeated by over 100 points by the Magpies reserves.

What was most surprising was the arrogance of some of the UQ players before the game, many strutting around like superstars only to be left wanting when the game began.

Also, I have to disagree with Valias. UQ were soundly beaten in the middle with one of their best players being a young scholarship kid that they took from Mayne.

Will be a really long year for UQ.

Just got an interesting phone call while posting the last message.

UQ have sacked their coach. Seems several players weren't too happy about being told some home truths about their performance on the weekend. Apparently the coaches weren't too happy about the commitment to each other and the team. As I said above, the players were acting like superstars before the game, looks like they are acting like spoilt little kids after it.

Not sure how many people talking about the UQ Maggie's game were actually there because nobody is describing what I saw. I watched all three games on the weekend.

The reserves side that the Magpies fielded was made up,of past players and blokes who haven't trained. One player actually got called up to play because there were so many players being rested in both grades that they were going to be short. UQ played ok but let's be honest, they narrowly defeated a side that was in reality a thirds /fourths Magpies team.

As for the seniors, the Magpies rested a lot more players than most appear to be saying. I counted 10 who were just watching. Only three or four of the players the Magpies fielded would be considered regular seniors. So really the UQ seniors were defeated by over 100 points by the Magpies reserves.

What was most surprising was the arrogance of some of the UQ players before the game, many strutting around like superstars only to be left wanting when the game began.

Also, I have to disagree with Valias. UQ were soundly beaten in the middle with one of their best players being a young scholarship kid that they took from Mayne.

Will be a really long year for UQ.

Let me see if I have got this right.

Rozincki, Mcdonell, Mihlapoulos Retired
Heffernan-Roper, Dillion to PBC
Dickfos, Saunders, Lavey to Mt Gravatt
Moore and Corrie played and still had 10 walk in senior players! Who are the ten you speak of and where did they come from?
And these are the players we know about that have moved on!

Let me see if I have got this right.

Rozincki, Mcdonell, Mihlapoulos Retired
Heffernan-Roper, Dillion to PBC
Dickfos, Saunders, Lavey to Mt Gravatt
Moore and Corrie played and still had 10 walk in senior players! Who are the ten you speak of and where did they come from?
And these are the players we know about that have moved on!

Not sure if I saw ten but there were quite a few familiar faces only watching. Pretty sure Rozincki was running the messages.

Doing the maths on who you are saying is leaving - 22minus the ten named still leaves twelve spots, so maybe MrNatural is right.

Interesting news on the coach, I have heard similar stories.

Not sure if I saw ten but there were quite a few familiar faces only watching. Pretty sure Rozincki was running the messages.

Doing the maths on who you are saying is leaving - 22minus the ten named still leaves twelve spots, so maybe MrNatural is right.

Interesting news on the coach, I have heard similar stories.

Wasn't the maths I was refering to! It's the new faces to replace the departed few! Who are they and where did they come from. Would send a pretty big message to the rest of the comp that the Maggies will be right there again if the inclusions can make up for the departures.

Wasn't the maths I was refering to! It's the new faces to replace the departed few! Who are they and where did they come from. Would send a pretty big message to the rest of the comp that the Maggies will be right there again if the inclusions can make up for the departures.

A few looked like regular reserves players and a few young ones. Not sure that the new faces will be as good as the blokes who have left.

Really hard to judge based on one game against opposition that will likely struggle at this level.

Remove this Banner Ad

SEQAFL Division 1 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back