Set Shots, Best and Worst at your club

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Slax
You must be kidding me. I'll grant you he was a decent shot at goal but I can think of a few others over the years who were better for you guys.

Simon Beasley and Quinlan.

I agree with you. Beasley especially, very rarely missed - he couldn't afford to, he didn't get the ball that often. How could someone with so little going for him kick nearly 600 goals? Loved him.

Quinlan was more erratic when he played for us. He could always kick the thing a mile but became consistant when he went to Fitzroy.

Of all the guys that left Footscray in the '70's, Quinlan was the real tragedy (even though I nearly cried when Demps left).

Best set shot: Burton. Only bloke I would back consistently.

Worst: Simpson, Rocca (only because he is so unpredictable)

Best on the run: King, Harvey

Worst: Harding. Kicked 33 points last year. Rushes himself, which is not hard when you have a top speed of 190k's, but has to technically improve.

A confident Shannon Grant is the best all rounder.

Originally posted by Slax
You must be kidding me. I'll grant you he was a decent shot at goal but I can think of a few others over the years who were better for you guys.

Simon Beasley and Quinlan.

Statistics will show Hudson was more accurate than Beaser and Quinlan, Quinlan was actually quite wasteful at the Dogs, he improved in that regard quite sharply at Fitzroy.
Kelvin Templeton was a better kick than Beasley because he played a lot at CHF and snapped plenty of goals, Beaser was not that effective when the ball hit the turf.

Best Nathan Brown, Bandy, Croft, McGuiness, Darcy
Worst Chris Grant, Chris Grant, Chris Grant

On the run:

Best Rohan Smith, Garlick, Brown, Johnson, Guido, Alvey
Worst Was - Bartlett and Hunter

All time, Peter McKenna is the best kick for goal from a set shot, that the game has seen.

Originally posted by SCRAY72
Tony Lockett
Peter Hudson
Matthew Lloyd

MCkenna was a better kick from a set shot than all of them. He wasnt as good a full forward - ground level or marking he wasnt fantastic - but technically his kicking technique made him capable of nailing set shots from anywhere.

Of the above list, Lloyd is the best set kick.

Originally posted by JUBJUB
Best - Kingsley [if he doesn't kick into the man on the mark]
worst -D.Clarke

Steven King is also a good set shot for goal. I agree with you about Clarke, and as for the best on the run, Peter Riccardi would get my vote.

Originally posted by hotpie
MCkenna was a better kick from a set shot than all of them. He wasnt as good a full forward - ground level or marking he wasnt fantastic - but technically his kicking technique made him capable of nailing set shots from anywhere.

Of the above list, Lloyd is the best set kick.

Must agree with Hotpie on this (gulp!!). From all of the videos I have seen, his kicking action and conversion was near flawless. Whilst the others mentioned were stronger in other areas, I could not go past McKenna as the best performer from a set shot.

Originally posted by afc9798
Must agree with Hotpie on this (gulp!!). From all of the videos I have seen, his kicking action and conversion was near flawless. Whilst the others mentioned were stronger in other areas, I could not go past McKenna as the best performer from a set shot.

Hudson looked ugly but didn't miss (although I was only a little tacker at the time).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by jim440
Hudson looked ugly but didn't miss (although I was only a little tacker at the time).

Yes but he spend a lot of time in the goal square using his big fat bum to out manouvre his opponent. McKenna was a leading full forward, often leading very wide to the tight pockets, so invariably had a lot more difficult set shots at goal.

BEST: Okeefe, Hall, Fixter, Saddington

WORST: Williams, Seymour (Kelly and Dunkley used to be)

NB: I dont rate Jude Bolton at all, i know liz thinks he is a good shot but i reckon he is pretty bad. Actually i think he is a bad player all round (headless chook). I want him to play well and show us why he was a top 5 pick but i just cant see it happening:(

Originally posted by liz
For Sydney, the best would probably be O'Keefe, Saddington (though he doesn't get down there very often) and Jude Bolton (may surprise some).

The worst - particularly considering how good almost every other facet of his game is - is probably Paul Williams. Daryn Cresswell and Paul Kelly (retired now, I know) alternate(d) between the excellent and the dreadful.

liz, liz, liz, the worst for Sydney last year, and the comp as a whole for the last 10 years was Andrew Dunkley.
Now days, not sure. Goodes sprays a few.

I also cant agree with J Bolton as one of the better ones. Can he kick over 45m? I'd say Barry Hall is our best, and McPherson has a nice kick.

Originally posted by Lockyer24
I never look forward to a Molloy set shot.

I'll let you in on a secret.

The 3 worst set shots at the Lions when Molloy was there were

1.Molloy
2.Molloy
3.Molloy.

Don't get me wrong. I don't hold any grudges against Molloy because he left us. I still like his approach and style of play.

It's just that those set shots.........BLEAAHH

Remember that free in the 2002 GF that he staged for and got?

I was spewing until I realised that it was Molloy lining up for the shot. Rainy day, 45 m out, 45degree angle....................write your own ticket.

His basic problem is that he kicks his set shots WAY too high.....40 metres up and 40 metres long (on a good day).

He should only EVER be played as an opportunist forward pocket type player where he does excel. As a marking forward......forget it.

Anyway, best 3 set shots at the Lions

1.Marcus Ashcroft (doesn't get many opportunities these days)

2. Akermanis

3. Darryl White.

Easy.

(I can't believe you missed this one, Rich)

Best set shot: Matthew Lloyd (even though he missed the one on the siren against the Doggies last year)

Worst set shot without a shadow of doubt: Scott Lucas.

Scottie is great on the run outside 50, but I wouldn't bet YOUR money on him from a set shot.

Cheers.

Originally posted by luthor
I'll let you in on a secret.

The 3 worst set shots at the Lions when Molloy was there were

1.Molloy
2.Molloy
3.Molloy.

Don't get me wrong. I don't hold any grudges against Molloy because he left us. I still like his approach and style of play.

It's just that those set shots.........BLEAAHH

Remember that free in the 2002 GF that he staged for and got?

I was spewing until I realised that it was Molloy lining up for the shot. Rainy day, 45 m out, 45degree angle....................write your own ticket.

His basic problem is that he kicks his set shots WAY too high.....40 metres up and 40 metres long (on a good day).

He should only EVER be played as an opportunist forward pocket type player where he does excel. As a marking forward......forget it.

Anyway, best 3 set shots at the Lions

1.Marcus Ashcroft (doesn't get many opportunities these days)

2. Akermanis

3. Darryl White.

He cant kick 45 metres, let alone accurately over 45 metres. Hope he stays in the goal square this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Set Shots, Best and Worst at your club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back