Rumour Setanta O'hAilpin

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy with Vezpremi and if we go for Sherman and Djerrkura but will definately not be happy to land this spud, what would he possibly add to list.

I can't understand the reason for this. I'd much rather see Hahn in the team that him. So fustrating for all supporters if we get him, he will just get bagged all game.
Maybe to play him down back as insurance, i just dont know

The club must be trying to test my "don't mercilessly bag our own players" rule. Those who sit in the background sniping the likes of Gia, Williams, and Minson will have nothing on me if we get Setanta.

Happy with Vezpremi and if we go for Sherman and Djerrkura but will definately not be happy to land this spud, what would he possibly add to list.

Mm What could he add?

perhaps you can look at the opinion of Collingwood posters when they drafted Leigh Brown.

Can pinch hit in ruck - better than Everitt
Can play KP forward at a pinch - better than Everitt
Can play KP back at a pinch - better than Everitt
Has a real go despite his limitations - better than Everitt

Total Spud just like premiership player Leigh Brown at Collingwood.

Would be about the best swingman back up going with a mature body, particularly if we trade out Minson.

I pray to god you guys get him so we don't do something stupid for him.

Mm What could he add?

perhaps you can look at the opinion of Collingwood posters when they drafted Leigh Brown.

Would be about the best swingman back up going with a mature body, particularly if we trade out Minson.

Despite all of that, I hope we steer clear.

Our future ruck stocks of Roughead and Cordy are both favoured by the rule changes. They can both play forward, and both play ruck, so it will be a case of them alternating, and giving us the full bench for midfield rotations.

We should get games into both those guys this year, IMO getting Setanta in is a barrier to that...

Mm What could he add?

I was thinking similar thoughts myself

Despite all of that, I hope we steer clear.

Our future ruck stocks of Roughead and Cordy are both favoured by the rule changes. They can both play forward, and both play ruck, so it will be a case of them alternating, and giving us the full bench for midfield rotations.

We should get games into both those guys this year, IMO getting Setanta in is a barrier to that...

Would not expect him to get games ahead of a fit Roughead at any time.

Cordy needs to get his body through about 10 consecutive games before we can talk about playing him, but he would also not be held back if his body holds up.

Mm What could he add?

Are you being sarcastic?
The only one of the points that you could possibly suggest he gets up over the line against Skinny is that he has a go. When he has a go he sometimes goes way over the top like Big Will and is capable of giving away multiple frees and Fiddies.
Skillwise there is no way he could give more as a KP than Everitt back, it is questionable if he can give more as a KP forward as Skinny was rarely played as a KPF. I would take Everitt to play as a backup ruck any day of the week because of athleticism.
I would be very disappointed to trade for Setanta, i wish him the best but he is not a fit for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mm What could he add?

And ....... he can probably outsprint Daniel Cross just like Leigh Brown did in the finals series. (Still cant believe that one of our revered small men could be outsprinted by a player as big as Brown).

You guys are delusional.. Trading for players like this is the reason why we haven't won a premiership..
Put games into the young pups for **** sake!!!!

Irish lad isn't going to help us win anything!

You guys are delusional.. Trading for players like this is the reason why we haven't won a premiership..

And you are not?

In simple terms if we trade Minson which sounds likely will will need some sort of mature bodied player to give us some ruck depth.

Hudson is our clear no.1, Roughead will be our no.2 come the start of the 2011 season, but if either of these 2 get injured we might be caught out. If we keep Minson as our back-up he will cost us probably $300K. If we get Setanta (or like player) we could pay him half of this amount and can then use the money saved elsewhere.

And ....... he can probably outsprint Daniel Cross just like Leigh Brown did in the finals series. (Still cant believe that one of our revered small men could be outsprinted by a player as big as Brown).

I can't believe people are still talking about this.
Cross had probably covered quite a number of kilometers by that stage of the game.
Brown would have covered less than half of that.

Simple logic tells me that after covering so many km's, being able to sprint isn't going to be so easy.

And Setanta would be a huge waste of space at the club. I hope this never happens.

Are you being sarcastic?
The only one of the points that you could possibly suggest he gets up over the line against Skinny is that he has a go. When he has a go he sometimes goes way over the top like Big Will and is capable of giving away multiple frees and Fiddies.
Skillwise there is no way he could give more as a KP than Everitt back, it is questionable if he can give more as a KP forward as Skinny was rarely played as a KPF. I would take Everitt to play as a backup ruck any day of the week because of athleticism.
I would be very disappointed to trade for Setanta, i wish him the best but he is not a fit for us.

Not sarcastic at all.

Setanta competes and CONTESTS.

I agree that his skill level is questionable but he would beat Everitt in a contest because Everitt WOULD NOT CONTEST.

Setanta has played some pretty good games as a key forward and key back and takes contested marks. He does lack consistency.

A comment at the bottom of that article:

"This is bollocks about Setanta O'Hailpin, I can tell you one hundred percent, Setanta is in Sydney right now in talks with the Sydney Swans, showing him the club. Swans will get Setanta who still has a year to go on his contract, and the most likely outcome will be a straight swap for disgruntled small forward Paul Bevan who wants out. Dogs don't have a shot, he's off to Sydney."

:thumbsu: Completely agree. i dont understand why we dont just give Jones or Panos a consistent go this season, the guys that will be the future of our club.
PLEASE no to Setanta

While i agree with you guys we carn't just simply look at the negatives. There are some positive's if the trade happened. It doesn't mean i want it to happen but if it does then i can see how we can use him in a positive way.

I like jones but why all the love for him. He leads well but his field kicking is the worst i have seen. Seems to have kicked most his goals from freekicks. Has good defensive pressure aswell and im sure he will turn into a good player but i don't understand for people calling for him to have the no 3 jumper and so forth.

Everybody seems to think if we got Setanta he would play forward and pinch hit in the ruck.
Has anyone considered that he may be recruited as a centre half back to play on the monsters as well as pinch hit in the ruck?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back