Setka Resigns

Remove this Banner Ad

i’m no fan of setka, particularly the allegations about his treatment of females.

there is a reason why the construction union needs tough operators: you won’t get a bigger pack of dodgy peeps than you’ll find among developers. you don’t have to be familiar with the industry to know that. a day rarely passes without evidence of shoddy substandard buildings - both materials and labour.

the big issue of combustible facades still hasn't been resolved. the dodgy developers should be responsible for mine if it bankrupts them good riddance.

the union has been responsible for the excellent wages and conditions its members have and for making the industry much safer.

a weak union would allow the dodgy ruthless developers, who get away with too much now, to to run riot.

i look forward the the series on developers and the m.b.a
Combustible facades weren't a result of developers!
Developers just put pressure on builders to build for the lowest price.
Builders substituted materials, specified by consultants (Architect), to cheaper materials that would be signed off by the building surveyor.
Building surveyors shouldn't have allowed materials to be installed that were not tested (cheap Chinese alternatives mostly).
Building Surveyors should have been held responsible but it would have resulted in the collapse of the BS's due to court cases, bankruptcies and insurances going through the roof.

You seem to have a particular problem with developers.

Unions do not deel with developers directly.
Developers deal with builders and builders deal with unions.

Consultants make sure building codes are adheared to.
Builders and Unions make sure productivity and safety ok.

CFMEU has gone into administration. Interesting timing!!
Administration.

The National Branch is taking over.

The National Branch is basically Queensland which is headed up by two young guys that learned how to get ahead by following Setka's playbook.

"Queensland Economic Advocacy Solutions found the construction union’s latest agreement conditions, such as union veto on concrete pours and stoppages to attend union rallies, risked adding 18 to 33 per cent extra to the cost of an apartment build in the state."

"...workers get double time when it rains and an extra $1000 a week for working on a project 50km or more from the employer's address."

Excuse scoreboard:

• Gas
  • Trying to make it in a world of dodgy people

Anyway, how is the industry safer? I only read on the weekend about a CFMEU delegate suffering a gun shot wound? Doesn't sound safe to me.

I’ve already got a few union mates mentioning whispers of a mass walk out of sites.

The power has certainly gone way too far the other way in this industry.

this is the straw that will break the camel's back.

CMFEU should be disbanded.

Unions are a good thing in principle, but what the CMFEU eventually became was basically a cartel.

So what were these explosive allegations?

they aren't exactly explosive.

Anyone in construction knows what the CFMEU are and what they do. This has been a long time coming.

this is the straw that will break the camel's back.

CMFEU should be disbanded.

Unions are a good thing in principle, but what the CMFEU eventually became was basically a cartel.
BLF was deregistered in 1986 and the CFMEU just came in after it.
1721017405599.png

The CMFEU even sell a BLF inspired T-shirt:

BLF was deregistered in 1986 and the CFMEU just came in after it.
View attachment 2049064

The CMFEU even sell a BLF inspired T-shirt:

There will always be a form of union. I am white-collar construction professional.

I have zero issues with Unions, but they need to be heavily regulated.

the CMFEU was anything but and the way they were operating was just disgusting.

There will always be a form of union. I am white-collar construction professional.

I'm a QS/Estimator. Worked as consultant, builder and developer for 30 years and I am no fan of the unions but they do have a role to play especially in safety but the balance has been out of wack in Victoria for years.

i.e. banning plaster lifters, oversized bricks, drug and alcohol testing on site and other technologies that can speed up construction with no safety issues for it's members.

Combustible facades weren't a result of developers!
Developers just put pressure on builders to build for the lowest price.
Builders substituted materials, specified by consultants (Architect), to cheaper materials that would be signed off by the building surveyor.
Building surveyors shouldn't have allowed materials to be installed that were not tested (cheap Chinese alternatives mostly).
Building Surveyors should have been held responsible but it would have resulted in the collapse of the BS's due to court cases, bankruptcies and insurances going through the roof.

You seem to have a particular problem with developers.

Unions do not deel with developers directly.
Developers deal with builders and builders deal with unions.

Consultants make sure building codes are adheared to.
Builders and Unions make sure productivity and safety ok.

This is not the combustible cladding issue and far from it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Labour will have to jump all over this , the last thing they need is a old school union scandal running into an election.
If the more militant CFMEU members start walk outs etc it could well backfire and give Labour an excuse to reinstate a union watchdog or bring in further legislation.

Labour will have to jump all over this , the last thing they need is a old school union scandal running into an election.
If the more militant CFMEU members start walk outs etc it could well backfire and give Labour an excuse to reinstate a union watchdog or bring in further legislation.
They will find a way to get out of it in Victoria. They need to donor money and the votes. Will be interesting if Allan can get away with everything like Dan did. Whether the cult like support will be the same or is this the reason this has come out now? People feel like they can speak up now Dan's gone

Really? Please enlighten me?

It's not solely about substituted materials. That is a very minor %.

It's not solely use of "cheaper" materials either.

It has really nothing to do with untested materials and Chinese equivalents, these are only a very minor %.

A lot of the relevant materials are from major international companies that were fully approved under previous standards. So Building Surveyors weren't going cowboy like you are implying. It's a very complex issue.

Building Surveyors are being held accountable, along with fire engineers, architects, builders etc. Only the tip of the iceberg and CSV will be recouping costs over the next few decades via litigation. Some private islands will be bought by the lawyers at the end of the process.

You are also talking about a small % of the problem with that link, with the single largest problem being the residential home market which is currently being ignored (surprise surprise) by major industry bodies, including State Governments.

The latter problem being something simply too big to fix, akin to asbestos in homes pre-1980's. Also something that is still currently perfectly legal to install on your property at home even now.

It's not solely about substituted materials. That is a very minor %.

It's not solely use of "cheaper" materials either.

It has really nothing to do with untested materials and Chinese equivalents, these are only a very minor %.

A lot of the relevant materials are from major international companies that were fully approved under previous standards. So Building Surveyors weren't going cowboy like you are implying. It's a very complex issue.

Building Surveyors are being held accountable, along with fire engineers, architects, builders etc. Only the tip of the iceberg and CSV will be recouping costs over the next few decades via litigation. Some private islands will be bought by the lawyers at the end of the process.

You are also talking about a small % of the problem with that link, with the single largest problem being the residential home market which is currently being ignored (surprise surprise) by major industry bodies, including State Governments.

The latter problem being something simply too big to fix, akin to asbestos in homes pre-1980's. Also something that is still currently perfectly legal to install on your property at home.
Thanks.

I was responding to a poster who said developers were to blame:

i’m no fan of setka, particularly the allegations about his treatment of females.

there is a reason why the construction union needs tough operators: you won’t get a bigger pack of dodgy peeps than you’ll find among developers. you don’t have to be familiar with the industry to know that. a day rarely passes without evidence of shoddy substandard buildings - both materials and labour.

the big issue of combustible facades still hasn't been resolved. the dodgy developers should be responsible for mine if it bankrupts them good riddance.

the union has been responsible for the excellent wages and conditions its members have and for making the industry much safer.

a weak union would allow the dodgy ruthless developers, who get away with too much now, to to run riot.

i look forward the the series on developers and the m.b.a

Developers don't specify materials.
Developers don't install.
Developers don't even have access to sites when a main contractor (builder) has taken possession of the site.

Thanks.

I was responding to a poster who said developers were to blame:

Developers don't specify materials.
Developers don't install.
Developers don't even have access to sites when a main contractor (builder) has taken possession of the site.

Developers are to blame in some instances, just not the commercial market.

Unions like the CFMEU only exist to fill vacuums left by government.

If government were responsible for safety then the CFMEU would lose a huge portion of its authority instantly.

But small government and all that.............

All of these problems - sexual assault at Nine, banking Royal Commission outcomes, union thuggery - exist mainly because of self regulation - ie. "small government"

Unions like the CFMEU only exist to fill vacuums left by government.

If government were responsible for safety then the CFMEU would lose a huge portion of its authority instantly.

But small government and all that.............

All of these problems - sexual assault at Nine, banking Royal Commission outcomes, union thuggery - exist mainly because of self regulation - ie. "small government"

lol

they absolutely do not only fill the void of safety issues mate.

Workplace laws are very different to how they were previusly. Most WHS issues are sorted by Safework and likewise government bodies. Not the CFMEU

Remove this Banner Ad

Setka Resigns

Remove this Banner Ad

Back