Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond are in a pretty good spot contractually in list management terms at the moment. Much better than the Eagles were with some of their senior players as a comparison.

If Baker was a FA, it would probably be a VERY strong position. They will still get some decent picks this year for Baker.

They have the potential to bounce back quicker than others, for a more sustained period, they have a chance to blow right by West Coast imo, even with Reid and maybe a Smillie this year.

But next year and maybe the year after is where it opens up and the decision to really rebuild probably starts.

I think Balta probably goes as a RFA in 2025 (and Richmond would be wise to let him), netting them a top 3 pick.

They will probably trade Bolton at this point too imo. Again 2 x R1 picks likely the result there.

Hit 2025 with 4 x R1 picks, maybe even more if Baker results in some sort of F1.

Richmond are in a pretty good spot contractually in list management terms at the moment. Much better than the Eagles were with some of their senior players as a comparison.

If Baker was a FA, it would probably be a VERY strong. They have the potential to bounce back quicker than others, for a more sustained period, they have a chance to blow right by West Coast imo, even with Reid and maybe a Smillie this year.

They will get some decent picks this year for Baker.

But next year and maybe the year after is where it opens up and the decision to really rebuild probably starts.

I think Balta probably goes as a RFA in 2025 (and Richmond would be wise to let him), netting them a top 3 pick.

They will probably trade Bolton at this point too imo. Again 2 x R1 picks likely the result there.

Hit 2025 with 4 x R1 picks, maybe even more if Baker results in some sort of F1.
WTF for?

Probably Pick #2?

It's overs for him vs a trade situation and he's not going to factor in the next period of Richmonds success.

It's highly unlikely Richmond are playing off for a flag in the next 4-5 years.

Bottom 4 clubs are slowly starting to learn how to manipulate FA to quickly accumulate top talent.

Balta will be the one in 2025 imo.

In an ideal world you keep him, but he might be the difference between bouncing back a few years quicker imo.

If Baker was a FA, it would probably be a VERY strong position. They will still get some decent picks this year for Baker.

They have the potential to bounce back quicker than others, for a more sustained period, they have a chance to blow right by West Coast imo, even with Reid and maybe a Smillie this year.

Why wait a year to trade Bolton?

This draft looks the goods, get them in a year earlier and start development

Either keep Bolton or trade him out now, the other options are worse

Why wait a year to trade Bolton?

This draft looks the goods, get them in a year earlier and start development

Either keep Bolton or trade him out now, the other options are worse

Well that's the other option.

It really depends on the offer. You would imagine Bolton is picking Fremantle and I don't really see an acceptable offer there this offseason. Maybe depending on Collingwoods finishing position. But there's still plenty of compo, academy and FS picks bumping that pick.

The other consideration is waiting a year and waiting for the new rules which is likely to enable 2 x Drafts of Future Picks being unlocked next year.

Richmond is probably demanding 2025, 2026, 2027 R1 picks from a deep finals forecast Fremantle in that scenario next year.

Probably Pick #2?

It's overs for him vs a trade situation and he's not going to factor in the next period of Richmonds success.

Bottom 4 clubs are slowly starting to learn how to manipulate FA to quickly accumulate top talent.

You'd wouldn't complain if a pick 2 ended up being as good as Noah Balta is. These are the guys you build a side around, not ship them off to start the cycle again. Balta still won't be 30 in 5 years. Absolutely no reason to ship him off.

We won't be doing a full knock down rebuild like North, we have better players than they did when they culled half the list, in far better shape off field and a far more appealing destination overall.

You'd wouldn't complain if a pick 2 ended up being as good as Noah Balta is. These are the guys you build a side around, not ship them off to start the cycle again. Balta still won't be 30 in 5 years. Absolutely no reason to ship him off.

We won't be doing a full knock down rebuild like North, we have better players than they did when they culled half the list, in far better shape off field and a far more appealing destination overall.

Who are these?

Bolton will 100% be going in the next few years.

Then there's Balta, Hopper, Taranto, Rioli? Miller?

Have I missed the other half a dozen that will mean you don't have to rebuild? Not a single AA yet in that lot either.

West Coast is an appealing destination also and the wealthiest club in the league, how's that going for them? What's appealing to players is success and a genuine flag contender.

If you delay it and don't capitalise on the Bolton and Balta situations, you are 100% farked with Tassie likely to smash 2-3 drafts to pieces.

I think your list management team will make the same determination.

Why on earth is Brayshaw’s name even in this thread 😂

I see it like this -

Bolton is worth more to Freo next year than he is worth to Richmond

High end draft picks are worth more to Richmond than they are to Freo next year (depending on Chad)

It looks like a pretty easy win/win in negotiation terms. There’s value on both sides.

Who are these?

Bolton will 100% be going in the next few years.

Then there's Balta, Hopper, Taranto, Rioli? Miller?

Have I missed the other half a dozen that will mean you don't have to rebuild?

West Coast is an appealing destination also and the wealthiest club in the league, how's that going for them? What's appealing to players is success and a genuine flag contender.

If you delay it and don't capitalise on the Bolton and Balta situations, you are 100% farked with Tassie likely to smash 2-3 drafts to pieces.

I think your list management team will make the same determination.
The core? Balta, Bolton, Baker, Taranto, Hopper, Lynch, Vlastuin, Nankervis, Rioli, Short, Gibcus, Brown (plus pick 1, plus likely another 1st rounder). Who did North have 5 years ago? LDU, Goldstein, Simpkin, McKay and Larkey? The bottom end of Norths list was as bad as it gets.

Reckon Balta re signs. Taranto and Hopper are contracted for 5 years, Rioli 4 and Miller 2. If clubs want these guys they will pay through the nose.

100% leaving in the next few years? You couldn't possibly say that given he's contacted for 5.

Why on earth is Brayshaw’s name even in this thread 😂

I see it like this -

Bolton is worth more to Freo next year than he is worth to Richmond

High end draft picks are worth more to Richmond than they are to Freo next year (depending on Chad)

It looks like a pretty easy win/win in negotiation terms. There’s value on both sides.
👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably Pick #2?

In an ideal world you keep him, but he might be the difference between bouncing back a few years quicker imo.
Pick 2 isnt overs for Balta, we would be mad to let him go. KPP's that can play both ends and ruck are very hard to find.

The core? Balta, Bolton, Baker, Taranto, Hopper, Lynch, Vlastuin, Nankervis, Rioli, Short, Gibcus, Brown (plus pick 1, plus likely another 1st rounder). Who did North have 5 years ago? LDU, Goldstein, Simpkin, McKay and Larkey? The bottom end of Norths list was as bad as it gets.

Reckon Balta re signs. Taranto and Hopper are contracted for 5 years, Rioli 4 and Miller 2. If clubs want these guys they will pay through the nose.

100% leaving in the next few years? You couldn't possibly say that given he's contacted for 5.

Balta (25)
Bolton (26)
Taranto (26)
Hopper (27)
Lynch (32)
Vlaustin (30)
Nankervis (30)
Rioli (27)
Short (28)
Gibcus (21)
Brown (21)

The above list is proving my point, 2 players under the age of 25 on the entire list you think you can build your core around. 1 of them coming off an ACL and a 12 month hamstring tendon the year before.

To further prove my point: Lambert, Grimes, Astbury, Caddy, Prestia were all in the Rioli/Hopper age range 5 years ago at Richmond. Rance and Cotchin were younger than Vlaustin and Riewoldt, Houli and Edwards were younger than Lynch.

The majority of that list will be gone or washed in 3-4 seasons.

North 5 years ago:

Cunnington & Ziebell - Same age as Hopper and Rioli. According to AFL ratings, Cunnington was well ahead of 2024 Tim Taranto. Where are they both now?

Ben Brown was the same age as Dan Rioli and had just kicked 67 goals for the season.

Robbie Tarrant was the same age as Nick Vlausin.

Shaun Higgins was 9 months older than Nick Vlaustin and had just been named AA.

Scott Thompson was the same age as Tom Lynch.

Todd Goldstein was the same age as Toby Nankervis - Has Toby got the same amount of games in him as one of the most durable ruckman to play the game? TG was averaging 17 disposals and 40 hitouts a game then as well and thr #3 ranked ruckman in the comp.

As you stated, North also had the following:

Cam Zurhaar (21) (who kicked almost 30 goals for the season at 1.4 goals per game)
Nick Larkey (21) (1.5 goals per game)
Ben McKay (22)
Jy Simpkin (21) - 19 touches, 3.9 clearances per game.
LDU (20) - 15 disposals and 4 clearances a game.
Tarryn Thomas (19)
Bailey Scott (19)

As you stated, even then North had one of the worst runs of the last few decades and who is Richmonds equivalent younger players?

You are also misunderstanding me, my original post was a supportive one of your position, It just depends if your club truly embraces the rebuild it needs to have.

You are way closer to West Coast than you are Geelong (Wells has jagged his usual 3-4 quality players with later picks and fleeced Gold Coast for top picks multiple times, they also had the Tim Kelly deal) in terms of rebuilding on the run at the moment. Your club just needs to accept it and really hit the draft hard, which you have the ability to do with some well placed free agents and senior players with genuine value. Not a lot of bottom clubs have that.

Last edited:
Pick 2 isnt overs for Balta, we would be mad to let him go. KPP's that can play both ends and ruck are very hard to find.
You don't give up 25 year old KPPs during a rebuild. They keep you in games more than anyone else IMO. The appeal (to me) of losing Bolton is the type of play r r he is. Balta doesn't get traded under any circumstances IMO.

Bolton seems to be checked out, you’d think if Richmond don’t turn a corner this year or next he’ll ask out.

Biggest issue for Freo is the coin he’s on.

Bolton seems to be checked out, you’d think if Richmond don’t turn a corner this year or next he’ll ask out.

Biggest issue for Freo is the coin he’s on.
biggest issue for freo is that he is contracted until 2028 and will command an amount of draft capital that freo won't want to give up. Bolton is paid a high wage because he is a great player

You don't give up 25 year old KPPs during a rebuild. They keep you in games more than anyone else IMO. The appeal (to me) of losing Bolton is the type of play r r he is. Balta doesn't get traded under any circumstances IMO.
100% agree on Balta.

As you and I have discussed, I wouldn't trade Bolton either unless he demanded it, but I do see w rare win win should it happen.

I cant believe that we could potentially have 2 top 10 picks (Ports and Collingwoods) + Our first and people dont think we have the capitol to get it done.

Highest first + lowest First easily gets it done if Richmond even entertain the trade.

I cant believe that we could potentially have 2 top 10 picks (Ports and Collingwoods) + Our first and people dont think we have the capitol to get it done.

Highest first + lowest First easily gets it done if Richmond even entertain the trade.

2 of those picks will be in the 20's on draft night and the lowest the Collingwood pick will be after FA compo, F/S and Academy selections is probably 13 or 14.

So do you think Richmond trade Shai Bolton for Pick 14 & Pick 22?

Good luck with that one.

Maybe if you offered up all 3.

You guys don't need Warner anyway, look at your midfield you need a player like Shai anyway but your not getting him that's the issue Freo can dream.
Yeah, Fyfe and JOM retiring soon. Warner would be great. Bolton would be nice.

But kinda like your mob trying drooling over Harley, it's nice to dream, huh?

No it won't lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back