Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

We get a piping hot Matt Taberner in the wings just waiting to break out, reckon he could do some good stuff in that Richmond forward line, take Banfield with him and that just about covers things.

I'm not saying has anywhere the ceiling of Reid. Not many players do.

But he is currently the best player on Richmond's list and a star in his own right.

You can dream all you like about getting him cheap, but it's just not going to happen.

Richmond will do the deal—there’s no escaping that. When the dust settles, they’ll grab those two first-round draft picks like a lifeline. The rest? Just a sideshow, a few late picks thrown in for the sake of appearances. But let’s not kid ourselves—the heart of this trade is those two prime selections. Richmond’s holding out, but they know deep down that the clock is ticking. When the pressure mounts and reality bites, they’ll fold because they have to. This trade isn’t just inevitable—it’s the only path forward, and everyone knows it.

Richmond will do the deal—there’s no escaping that. When the dust settles, they’ll grab those two first-round draft picks like a lifeline. The rest? Just a sideshow, a few late picks thrown in for the sake of appearances. But let’s not kid ourselves—the heart of this trade is those two prime selections. Richmond’s holding out, but they know deep down that the clock is ticking. When the pressure mounts and reality bites, they’ll fold because they have to. This trade isn’t just inevitable—it’s the only path forward, and everyone knows it.
I think a deal gets done, but I think it plays out a lot like the Soldo one last year. We'll get overs.

I'm not saying has anywhere the ceiling of Reid. Not many players do.

But he is currently the best player on Richmond's list and a star in his own right.

You can dream all you like about getting him cheap, but it's just not going to happen.
No one is expecting to get him “on the cheap”

Most of the “under” comments have been in direct response to Richmond posters proposing ridiculous overs.

Shai, uncontracted, open market, would be somewhere between pick 10 - 15.

Think everyone is expecting this to be pick 10 + an extra first.

That already is overs. It’s also very unlikely (possible, but unlikely), that Freo have that currency to offer next year.

So what’s more valuable for you? 1 more year of Bolton, or 1 year of development into 2x kids who could form the nucleus of the next flag tilt?

Most of the “under” comments have been in direct response to Richmond posters proposing ridiculous overs.

That already is overs. It’s also very unlikely (possible, but unlikely), that Freo have that currency to offer next year.

So what’s more valuable for you? 1 more year of Bolton, or 1 year of development into 2x kids who could form the nucleus of the next flag tilt?
An uncontracted Bolton probably has a similar worth to what we paid for Taranto (picks 12 and 19).

A contracted until 2028 Bolton is probably something like Freo's picks 9, 10 and 17 for Bolton and 21.

I think two first rounders will get it done, list managers (outside of maybe Dodoro) don't tend to be as dramatic as supporters, they'll make sure a fair deal gets done.

We won't have to trade him in 12 months either. Contracted until 2028.

Why don't people get that we're not going to give up our best player for **** all when he's contract for the next four years?

His manager has even said he's happy to stay if we can't get a deal worth taking.

We won't be accepting unders. We won't even be accepting fair value. If Freo or WC really want him they're going to have to pay up the same way GC is for Rioli.
No one is saying "**** all" or unders. The minimum being talked about is 9 and 17 (with nothing back) which is essentially the same as Neale when traded. Then there's people like myself and Joao expecting the top two firsts. These are historically large trades for an over 25 player.

If you are expecting more than that, you are simply getting carried away on who he is and need to look at past trades. These values are equal to or more than what all the best players get traded for.

Some of the expectations on Rioli and Bolton from Tigers supporters are beyond delusional

We need top end talent! Let's release our top end talent to get more top end talent!

But seriously, if we are as bad as we seem (we are), he's going to be wasted with us for the next few years. He's exactly the type of player who in a good team can be the difference between winning and losing. Capable of those 25+ possession 3 goal games. Two first rounders with something decent coming back I think is the right price, say the first pick of the second round.

Freo get a proven match winner and can still pick up something decent this year or trade it for a first rounder from a team like Sydney if someone they like is looking to be available. Richmond lose a proven player and a decent pick and get two cracks at replacing Shai in a very even draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one is saying "**** all" or unders. The minimum being talked about is 9 and 17 (with nothing back) which is essentially the same as Neale when traded. Then there's people like myself and Joao expecting the top two firsts. These are historically large trades for an over 25 player.

If you are expecting more than that, you are simply getting carried away on who he is and need to look at past trades. These values are equal to or more than what all the best players get traded for.

Some of the expectations on Rioli and Bolton from Tigers supporters are beyond delusional
Mate havent you heard, we are getting picks 5, 14 and 22 or something for our 28 year old HBF

You gon need all your firsts this year and 3 more years of firsts to get us to the table, and we will take Fyfes first born.

Now pay up.

Mate havent you heard, we are getting picks 5, 14 and 22 or something for our 28 year old HBF

You gon need all your firsts this year and 3 more years of firsts to get us to the table, and we will take Fyfes first born.

Now pay up.
fat bastard yes sir GIF

Now pay up.
Don't forget the lock of Fyfes hair.

The big factor will be the $$$ and the value of the picks held by Freo after the free agency circus.

If there isn’t stupid compo handed to St Kilda or similar, and Freo miss finals picks 9 and 10 are likely to only lose 1-2 spots from Ashcroft and possibly Lombard bids. In effect it’s two picks 10-12 available for the Bolton trade. Of course there is also Ports first which will depend on their finals performance.

Bolton is a tough player to value because we’ve been so terrible for 2 years. His 2022 form his best guide for us if we assume he will perform better in a better team (this may not be how potential new homes want to value him). His form in 2023 and 2024 hasn’t been bad but we probably expected him to improve on 2022 as he hits his peak.

With that in mind he would sit as one of a handful of players capable of averaging 20/2, which would put him in the category of two firsts given his age and contract status. This would be without paying a chunk of his contract. Hard to know the trade value of paying part of his contract but I think anything in the $300k+ bracket for 4 years would be heading towards a second round pick (or first round pick upgrade).

There is also the possibility Richmond offer to take some $$$ off Freo’s hands. I have no idea of the particulars but I imagine Will Brodie’s 2025 and 2026 contract has unwanted $$$. We could possibly look at taking this off Freo’s hands to improve the trade.

Last edited:

I hope you guys don't get ripped off by Freo ( or this weekend with free kick advantages given to Carlton, Bulldogs Hawthorn).
I think if you pay 2 firsts for Bolton, need a 2nd rounder back.

Very silly idea for Richmond to refuse a trade request for an indigenous player with a young family wanting to return home.

Really bad look.

And next season he cruises along not happy that he and his partners wishes were ingnored. Player isn't fully committed and the club is paying him top, top dollar.

Everyone loses.

Or Richmond could fleece Freo for plenty and turbo boost its rebuild.

bit like Ryan O'Keefe and Tom Papley, sometimes things work out for the club holding firm on players with contracts

Anyone that thinks that this is not in play is not paying attention

The equation remains the same as it as always been , Freo or West Coast bends over, or Bolton stays on his 4 year contract

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back