Rumour Sharrod Wellingham

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel a bit of relief that he has resigned with the pies. We have a history of signing the 5th midfielder in a all star midfield only for them not to turn out to be the saviours that we have hoped they will be. We always end up paying over for them, Dessy is the one that immediately springs to mind.

I would be happy(ish) if we picked up McClean on the real cheap. He may be as slow as a wet week but he has nous and would help our midfield depth out immensly. Still only 25 we may be able to get 3 handy years out of him. May however continue our run of ordinary PSD picks

we need more speed in the midfield, though, not less of it. however, i wouldn't be surprised if carlton offered mclean an extension after the solid year he's had.

we need more speed in the midfield, though, not less of it. however, i wouldn't be surprised if carlton offered mclean an extension after the solid year he's had.

That's the bottom line at the moment, we're just not quite quick enough. It's not a major thing, we're just one or two quick mids away from being really balanced (assuming Mundy and Barlow can get back to near best). Obviously Mora's injuries haven't helped that. It's why I liked the idea of Wellingham and, as mentioned somewhere, the idea of Young. It's that sort of player that we need to pick up from somewhere. Though Crozier and Sutty don't look slow, so they may provide some hope.

That's the bottom line at the moment, we're just not quite quick enough. It's not a major thing, we're just one or two quick mids away from being really balanced (assuming Mundy and Barlow can get back to near best). Obviously Mora's injuries haven't helped that. It's why I liked the idea of Wellingham and, as mentioned somewhere, the idea of Young. It's that sort of player that we need to pick up from somewhere. Though Crozier and Sutty don't look slow, so they may provide some hope.
neale will be good in there too, he's got a bit of toe.
i'd be more than happy with young, though. we need a mature ager while the kids develop.

I would be happy(ish) if we picked up McClean on the real cheap. He may be as slow as a wet week but he has nous and would help our midfield depth out immensly. Still only 25 we may be able to get 3 handy years out of him. May however continue our run of ordinary PSD picks

In 2 of the last 3 preseason drafts we've picked up our first choice lockdown fullback and our toughest defender who has played nearly every game for 3 years. Is this what you mean by an ordinary run?

It's not like there's a bunch of Fyfes waiting to be picked up in the PSD.

Are you saying the Hayden Ballantyne experiment is done and dusted ?

In 2 of the last 3 preseason drafts we've picked up our first choice lockdown fullback and our toughest defender who has played nearly every game for 3 years. Is this what you mean by an ordinary run?

It's not like there's a bunch of Fyfes waiting to be picked up in the PSD.

Granted Mcphee is tough and had a good last season and a resonable season now. I am also quite happy with Dawson but he has had only 5 good games this year. Anthony looks like a mistake right now.

Due to picking up these guys in the last 3 PSDs we have missed out on guys like

Rookie draft 2010 Ben Howlett, Stewart Crameri, James Podsiadly, Magik Daw and Simon White
Rookie draft 2011 Jonathon Giles, Josh Jenkins, Cameron Pederson, Ed Curnow, Luke Dahlhaus, Wade Twomey, Johnathon Simpkin.
Rookie Draft 2012 Sam Frost, Kyal Horsley, Tom Bell (big unit), Marley Williams

While not all are proven each of them could add to our list. i think some of them would have been more beneficial to our long term future than the 3 we got. Especially the bolded names

I wou
I would happily take McPhee and Dawson over anyone on that list sans J-Pod (who's older than McPhee!) and maybe Jenkins.

I would have crameri instead of McPhee. Dahlhaus instead of Anthony. Too early to tell with 2012 but Dawson could hold his own here.

Dahlhaus' speed would be an unbelievable asset to our side. Pick of the bunch

To be fair, you would pick Crameri and Dalhaus ahead of quite a few we selected in the national draft as well. So it's not as if Fremantle were chasing both Crameri and Dalhaus and had the choice, we overlooked both numerous times. McPhee, Dawson, Anthony have come free. Dawson probably the best due to his age and our dire need for a FB. Isn't it funny that the Saints will probably be chasing a FB come seasons end.

neale will be good in there too, he's got a bit of toe.
i'd be more than happy with young, though. we need a mature ager while the kids develop.

I did think of Neale. He's got a bit of development to go so we'll see. He's certainly quick in a tight spot which is good, not sure how quick he is over the ground though. I'm talking power-running, fast, breaking the lines type player, not sure if Neale (who I rate) is quite the bill.

Are you saying the Hayden Ballantyne experiment is done and dusted ?

Just about. He's so good close to goal that I think he's got to be seen as a small fwd first. I do like when he goes to the midfield/playing high up the ground for stints, but to this point of the season he's just not managed to be damaging enough when played in the middle for the x-factor and defensive pressure lost in the fwd 50. These days most positions play all over the ground, so Balla will work through the middle at times wherever he plays, but as a 'full time mid' - yeah I call it just about done, certainly looks like he's not going through there as much lately even though, as I said in the Balla thread, Lyon will persist with mixing Frodo at bounces etc. because we do lack pacey explosive mids, but I still don't think it's quite worked out as we'd all hoped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lyon will persist with mixing Frodo at bounces etc. because we do lack pacey explosive mids, but I still don't think it's quite worked out as we'd all hoped.

I agree with you.

He is definitely most effective in our forward line .

Granted Mcphee is tough and had a good last season and a resonable season now. I am also quite happy with Dawson but he has had only 5 good games this year. Anthony looks like a mistake right now.

Due to picking up these guys in the last 3 PSDs we have missed out on guys like

Rookie draft 2010 Ben Howlett, Stewart Crameri, James Podsiadly, Magik Daw and Simon White
Rookie draft 2011 Jonathon Giles, Josh Jenkins, Cameron Pederson, Ed Curnow, Luke Dahlhaus, Wade Twomey, Johnathon Simpkin.
Rookie Draft 2012 Sam Frost, Kyal Horsley, Tom Bell (big unit), Marley Williams

While not all are proven each of them could add to our list. i think some of them would have been more beneficial to our long term future than the 3 we got. Especially the bolded names

It is a bit of a lottery, and they all get rated and you can't exactly just pick everyone you want.

If you list everyone that drafted in those 3 years McPhee and Dawson would be at the top end of the list of games and game time (per game). So I agree with Leungtl, those picks have been awesome for us. McPhee certainly had to work towards his form, and Dawson has earnt respect through his courage.

I think we are yet to see there best for Freo. Sure, others on the list will go on to be good players\ are good players.

I did think of Neale. He's got a bit of development to go so we'll see. He's certainly quick in a tight spot which is good, not sure how quick he is over the ground though. I'm talking power-running, fast, breaking the lines type player, not sure if Neale (who I rate) is quite the bill.

i thought he was faster.
3.0sec 20m sprint - good, not amazing.
beep 14.2 - mzungu and roberton's are 14.6, so very good.
so no, not a line breaker, but he's not bad as a footballer.

Now you're sounding like Schwabby. Thinking like that can lead to a salary cap squeeze down the track.

Salary size is always relevant. There's a lot of players to fit under the cap and we have to plan for the future too, not just focus on the cap space we have next year.

I think DeBoer/Roberton/Walters are all best 22 but I wouldn't be offering any of them $450k per year.

100% diagree. Don't put words in my mouth, never did I say have a 1 year plan. Salary wise bond and Lloyd have managed our salary cap to ensure this will not impact our salary cap over 5years. If roberton, Walters and Deboer stay in the top 25 then they will get paid adequately.

100% diagree. Don't put words in my mouth, never did I say have a 1 year plan.

I never said you did.

I just think it's a risky mindset to say we should chase any best 22 player with no regard for how much it would cost.

Robbo/Walters/DeBoer was an example of how you don't just throw any amount of money at players just because they're best 22. I don't see why it should be any different when approaching players from another club.

That's why I'd rather us use FA in a Swans type fashion - targeting undervalued players on modest contracts rather than throwing big money at big names.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back