Sheedy rules the Sydney back pages

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy Rules Australia

Senior List
Mar 9, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
It was heartening to see footy rule the back pages of the Sydney papers for once with the news of the great man's axing at the Bombers.

I noticed it has dominated all forms of Sydney sports media for the past 24 hours.

About bloody time.

That's funny, I turned on one of the major Sydney radio stations yesterday evening on the way home from work, expecting that it might almost be important enough to be mentioned in the main body of the news. Nup.

Well it's got to lead the sport then surely? Nup.

Mentioned at all. Nup.

Even the fact that some Brazilian bloke signed for Melbourne Victory got a mention.

Could not believe it.

Who knows what spin the Telegraph will put on it ... they had the Pagan axing hidden in an article about Sampi the other day, and their reporting of Cousins comeback was a punfest about drugs. I can see why some swans are so obsessed. Bloody Sydney media.

That's funny, I turned on one of the major Sydney radio stations yesterday evening on the way home from work, expecting that it might almost be important enough to be mentioned in the main body of the news. Nup.

Well it's got to lead the sport then surely? Nup.

Mentioned at all. Nup.

Even the fact that some Brazilian bloke signed for Melbourne Victory got a mention.

Could not believe it.

Yeah, hear hear.

I turned on ch7 news in Sydney last night, and it was relegated behind all sorts of crap. Sheeds got about 30 seconds and was about the 4th or 5th item in sport. They led their sports bulletin with news of what's probably a minor injury to a rugby league player in a team that's not even in the eight in the NRL at the moment - and it was followed by similar detritus.

Absolutely freaking pathetic.

The main reason it wasn't on the news here is that not that many people give a continental about the AFL, and if the do care about the AFL it is the Swans they care about....this may change in a few years, but i doubt it - the Swans are the only game in town and will remain the only game in town for a long time to come...

The Melbourne media were just as bad when Andrew Johns retired earlier this year...horses for courses I suppose...

It was heartening to see footy rule the back pages of the Sydney papers for once with the news of the great man's axing at the Bombers.

I noticed it has dominated all forms of Sydney sports media for the past 24 hours.

I don't think it alters the fact that the media focuses on the sensational and
not the stories we actually would want to here .
When I was in Sydney they couldn't get past Ben Cousins .
Finding information about the Swans was relegated to second spot .
And finding information about other teams can be difficult .

I don't think it alters the fact that the media focuses on the sensational and
not the stories we actually would want to here .
When I was in Sydney they couldn't get past Ben Cousins .
Finding information about the Swans was relegated to second spot .
And finding information about other teams can be difficult .

Well you've got a News Ltd controlled media, plus the fact that a lot of the Sydney people are probably anti-AFL anyway, no real surprise that they put up AFL stuff if it's Swans or negative

Does help to explain why some Swans fans on here are so obsessed when that's what they're fed.

Does help to explain why some Swans fans on here are so obsessed when that's what they're fed.

I agree with what you say about people in Sydney having vested interests
but I was talking more in general . It's a lot easier to focus on the superficial and sensational than do a balanced research article .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sheedy rules the Sydney back pages

Remove this Banner Ad

Back