Sheffield Shield Game 9: Tasmania v South Australia @ Hobart (Tue-Fri)

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Centrals
shieldwx3.png

tashg8.png
vs
sabj7.gif

Bellerive Oval, Hobart
10:30am Tuesday November 17-Friday November 20​

Top-level domestic cricket heads to Tassie for the first time this year for the inaugural Duckman cup. Cameron Borgas got rid of that title with 196 without being dismissed in the last game, and Jason Krejza secured it with his fourth duck of the season against NSW. That may influence Tassie selection because they have to find room for Brett Geeves who has supposedly recovered from a side strain in a week - they brought in a batsman for him in Sydney but with their tail having been useless in 3 out of 5 innings (6 from the last 5 in Adelaide, 17 from Geeves and 0 from the other 4 in Brisbane, 13 from the last 4 in Sydney) that will work in favour of giving Birt another chance (he made just 8 in Sydney) and dumping Drew or Macdonald, who each took just one wicket in each innings, taking their season tallies to 3 and 4 respectively. James Faulkner's also in the squad as an option, and an argument could be made that he, Geeves, Butterworth and Krejza is the best attack they have, and would allow one of the other quicks to stay instead of Birt while still having some runs in the tail, which will be even better if Tim Paine is available for the next game against WA.

Pretty predictable changes for SA, who can temporarily go to the top of the table with any points, but haven't won a Shield game in Tassie since 2001. Duval's back and walks straight back in, Cosgrove's back and walks straight back in, Manou's back and walks straight back in. Ludeman drops out for Manou, Borgas keeps his spot leaving the out of form Tom Cooper to make way for Cossie, and Cullen Bailey goes after being outbowled by O'Brien in both games (albeit with O'Brien getting a lot more help from the skipper) - two spinners in Tassie doesn't happen. The slightly surprising decision is that they've kept Weeks in the squad, it seems he must be a very good drinks waiter.

The lights may be switched on for the first time on Friday with a rainy day forecast.

Tasmania XII:
Ed Cowan
Jonathan Wells
Alex Doolan
Travis Birt
*George Bailey
Dan Marsh
Luke Butterworth
James Faulkner
Brett Geeves
Jason Krejza
+Brady Jones
Brendan Drew
Tim Macdonald
In:
Faulkner
Geeves

South Australia XII:
James Smith
Dan Harris
Michael Klinger
Mark Cosgrove
Cameron Borgas
*+Graham Manou
Aaron O'Brien
Dan Christian
Matthew Weeks
Chris Duval
Jake Haberfield
Peter George
In:
Cosgrove
Manou
Weeks
Duval

Out:
Tom Cooper
Tim Ludeman
Cullen Bailey

Weather:
Fine and low 20s until Friday when rain arrives and drops the temperature to 17

Session Times
First session: 10:30am-12:30pm
Second session: 1:10-3:10pm
Third session: 3:30-5:30pm

Points Table:
Victoria - 8 (2)
South Australia - 8 (3)
Queensland - 8 (3)
Western Australia - 4 (3)
Tasmania - 2 (3)
New South Wales - 0 (2)

Coverage:
Cricket Australia's scorecard

Tickets:
Adults - $8
Concession/Children - $4
Family - $16

Drew and MacDonald haven't given us much so far this season. Give Faulkner a run ahead of them, and at least if he can't take wickets, he is a chance of making some runs. Our team would look so much better if Paine were in.

This would probably be one of the stronger teams the Redbacks have put on the park this season, and on paper it should be too good for Tasmania. But history suggests that the Tasmanian bowlers will all find form in this game....

Hopefully Tasmania play a televised game soon, because I'm interested in this supposed "legal" doosra that Krejza has developed.

Australian leg spin guru Terry Jenner has been sceptical of Krejza's new addition, telling News Limited on Sunday that "everybody who has bowled the doosra has been reported for suspect action".

"So if Jason Krejza has miraculously discovered a way to bowl the doosra without flexing his elbow, then he's a genius," Jenner said.

But Krejza said on Sunday: "I wouldn't be able to chuck it the way I bowl it, it is completely straight armed."

No offense to Krejza, but I would tend to trust Jenner's opinion in regards to the doosra....

This would probably be one of the stronger teams the Redbacks have put on the park this season, and on paper it should be too good for Tasmania. But history suggests that the Tasmanian bowlers will all find form in this game....

Hopefully Tasmania play a televised game soon, because I'm interested in this supposed "legal" doosra that Krejza has developed.

No offense to Krejza, but I would tend to trust Jenner's opinion in regards to the doosra....
you can see THAT ball at http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2009/11/24/111555_todays-news.html

It doesn't look like he is chucking...

Interesting that Tim Coyle is downplaying the whole 'doosra' thing, saying it just spins the other way (which is exactly what a doosra is)....

It doesn't look too bad from that video, must say I didn't expect it to spin as much as it did. But it will be interesting when he starts to bowl it more often and possibly at international level. Because he will come under a lot more scrutiny should that happen.

It would be great if it was a legal delivery, and Australia might finally have another attacking spin option. But I do find it a tad hard to believe that the first bowler ever to bowl it legally is Krejza....

For some reason cricket.com.au wasn't working for me this morning and then when it finally loaded, Tas are 3/29!

Dissapointing by the top order yet again, and a duck unfortunately for Bails in his 50th (may be a bit stuffed after his big weekend).

Impressive couple of knocks now by Cowan so hopefully he can go on and post his maiden ton for Tassie. Dan Marsh still showing he has plenty left to offer domestic cricket.

Good decision by the selectors to leave out Birt and Drew for Faulkner and Geeves.

Good fightback here from Cowan and Marsh,

Chris25... some bowlers have bowled ones that spin the other way by bowling the opposite action.

e.g. A Leg break just to break things up. That is possibly Whatas Coyle referring to as Kreja bowled one that spun the other way as opposed to an actually Doosra.

Having not seen the delivery myself I don’t know.

Great fight back by cowan and Marsh. Wells might be in trouble next shield game unless he can manage some second innings runs this game.

I wonder who they will bring in.
J Rogers
Lockyer
Anderson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By picking not one but two can sorta bat and sorta bowl all-rounders, SA is effectively both a batsman and a bowler short. Very poor selection.

Forgive me if this is an obvious question, but who are the two 'sorta bat and sorta bowl all-rounders'.....?

Aaron O'Brien is equal 4th on the wicket takers list with 9 this year, and has an average with the bat of over 76. Dan Christian has admittedly been poor with the bat so far this season, but is our best bowler with 11 wickets (behind only Walter and Cutting).

Both of them more than deserved their places in the side.

As for the game itself, it's been pretty disappointing after such a solid start. Just need one more wicket before we get into the all rounders....

What would Bailey offer on a Day 1 pitch in Hobart anyway? There is little assistance for spinners even on the later days....

Duval has been the disappointing one for me. It is only his first game back after injury, but he is back in Tasmania and is the experienced bowler. He should be setting the standard for the rest of the bowlers.

Tas 5 for 271 we fight so hard to get on top afer lossing early wickets now we just lose 2 quick wickets hopefully Cowan and Faulkner can bat until stumps.

Maybe if our fast bowlers actually took some wickets when it wasn't an overcast morning in Hobart or Brisbane we might not have to...

Then pick different bolwers. Don't pick guys to try and make up for the deficiency of the blokes you picked in the first place. That is like making a second mistake to rectify the first mistake.

Although to be honest not sure who else we have at the moment. What happened to Rofe?

What a pathetic effort from SA. Obviously took the foot off the pedal at 3/29. Only SA could let a 200+ partnership develop from there.

Oh and newsflash Manou - SA is still shit - when you get the chance to bat first just ****ing do it you moron.

What would Bailey offer on a Day 1 pitch in Hobart anyway? There is little assistance for spinners even on the later days....

Duval has been the disappointing one for me. It is only his first game back after injury, but he is back in Tasmania and is the experienced bowler. He should be setting the standard for the rest of the bowlers.

He'd offer more than the pie chucker Duval! Bailey spins the ball anyway, like MacGill he will turn the ball regardless of the surface. He needs consistent cricket, and SA are at blame when he is not in the side for a meduim pace barely grade standard bowler in Duval!

Remove this Banner Ad

Sheffield Shield Game 9: Tasmania v South Australia @ Hobart (Tue-Fri)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back