Should Katich have been picked?

Remove this Banner Ad

So Clarke and Hayden are possibly out of the First Test.

Would those advocating a youth policy be happy to see two kids joining the XI instead of more experienced players?

I think the absence of those guys demonstrates the importance of including the players best equipped to step in.

If Pomersbach was set to make his debut, while Katich sat at home, it would be an absolute sham. Picking Katich was the right move.

It's the Windies. Two kids would have been fine.

This isn't a soap opera. Quit the gurgling.
One-liners won't impress anyone.

Especially when you've failed to offer any reasonable counter-argument to Katich's selection.

Dussey and Pomersbach.
Dussey's a kid, is he?

As for Pomers, if he had pipped Katich, it would have been a disgrace.

One good season is simply not enough to get parachuted straight into the Test side.

Especially when you've failed to offer any reasonable counter-argument to Katich's selection.

Dussey's a kid, is he?

One good season is simply not enough to get parachuted straight into the Test side.

Katich had earn't the selection, though personally I would have picked D Hussey. IMO Katich has proved he isn't a test batsman, and while he has been great at FC level, it would have been a good chance to start bringing D Hussey in.

I really do not want to see Katich playing again in England.

So Clarke and Hayden are possibly out of the First Test.

Would those advocating a youth policy be happy to see two kids joining the XI instead of more experienced players?

I think the absence of those guys demonstrates the importance of including the players best equipped to step in.

If Pomersbach was set to make his debut, while Katich sat at home, it would be an absolute sham. Picking Katich was the right move.

Totally agree. Katich had to be picked, I just hope he shows some presence at the wicket and not appear to be hanging on for dear life. In saying that, his test record is respectable having scored 1,260 runs at just under 36 - he has the temperament, he just needs a bit of assertivness.

The other thing I like about Katich is that he provides another option in the bowling front with his left-hand leg spin. I mean he has take 86 FC wkts at 37 which is respectable compared to some of the other so-called front line spinners.

most of your arguments are one-liners!

Dussey's a kid, is he?

Against the Windies, it's fine.

Yes he probably should've.

However I get a bit of a chuckle out of people saying, "Well Katich should be picked because he's the best available player regardless of age." Then the same people turn around and say, "No McGain shouldn't be picked, we need to look at youth."
:D:D

we all know katich deserves a go.

most consistent run scorer at first class level and we know he can do the job at international level. im happy for him to be opening the batting.

Yes he probably should've.

However I get a bit of a chuckle out of people saying, "Well Katich should be picked because he's the best available player regardless of age." Then the same people turn around and say, "No McGain shouldn't be picked, we need to look at youth."
:D:D

Kat probably has 4 years left in him, even though he probably wont get that many chances. McGain is 37!

Opponent isn't irrelevant. Talk about a resoundingly stupid statement. Yes, let's not give anyone an opportunity against minnows. Best team at all times.

Especially when you score 12 off 11!
Katich went cheaply.

That doesn't mean he shouldn't have been picked.

The opposition is irrelevant.

We still pick the guys who merit it. We don't just throw that out the window when we play a battler.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's going to be interesting to see what happens at the selection table should Hayden fail to come up again for the second test.

If Hodge was to get himself a ton it would certainly spice things up a bit.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens at the selection table should Hayden fail to come up again for the second test.

It wouldn't matter if Hodge got 300, Katich could get a duck in the second innings and still get picked, that's what happens if you play for NSW, the crap always gets first choice.:cool:

I think it will be easy. Clark back as VC next test, our best opening batsman should be available.

Hodge and Katich dropped no matter what they score. Harsh, yeah, but keeping the other two out would be harsher in my opinion since both are proven players and one is apparently being groomed to be our next captain.

I think it will be easy. Clark back as VC next test, our best opening batsman should be available.

Hodge and Katich dropped no matter what they score. Harsh, yeah, but keeping the other two out would be harsher in my opinion since both are proven players and one is apparently being groomed to be our next captain.

There is talk Hayden won't come up at all this series.

Which means one of Katich and Hodge will keep their spot.

IF Hodge makes runs (which he has so far), and Katich doesn't (ditto), will Katich hold his spot purely because he's an opener?

I'd suggest this would be likely, but if Katich doesn't make any runs of note and Hodge goes on and gets his ton here.....

And if Hodge does get retained on balance of runs, who would move up to open with Jaques?

you earn your opportunities.

katich earned his opportunity in 07/08 season, to not select him for working so hard would be dissapointing.

his first selection to the side was a bit of a joke (as was clarke's on ridiculously pathetic FC form) however katich had a spanker of a year and deserved selection.

should be given more than 1 innings to call the selection a failure.

Hodge is very lucky to be selected ahead of other players, I think this is more of the board trying to 'act the good guy' rather than select the best for Aus.

its getting ridiculous that the best players on form are overlooked for political reasons.

There is talk Hayden won't come up at all this series.

Which means one of Katich and Hodge will keep their spot.

IF Hodge makes runs (which he has so far), and Katich doesn't (ditto), will Katich hold his spot purely because he's an opener?

I'd suggest this would be likely, but if Katich doesn't make any runs of note and Hodge goes on and gets his ton here.....

And if Hodge does get retained on balance of runs, who would move up to open with Jaques?

That does change things a little...... If we are to go on the popular reward based on form and results Hodge would have to get the nod and creat a potential dangerously unbalanced batting line up.

On the other hand, if we are to go with horses for courses, we may reward a player whose form was brilliant in the Australian summer, but might of dropped off.

Form is a funny thing, it leaves you when you need it most.

As much as I consider Katich to be finished at test level, in the interest of balance I would have to give him the nod.

I guess I am conservative, and would rely on the rest of the top and the middle orders to provide suitable back up if the worst happens and we find our selves 2 for not much.

On a side note, has either Hodge or Haddin ever opened for thier states? I can't remember them ever doing so personally.

That does change things a little...... If we are to go on the popular reward based on form and results Hodge would have to get the nod and creat a potential dangerously unbalanced batting line up.

On the other hand, if we are to go with horses for courses, we may reward a player whose form was brilliant in the Australian summer, but might of dropped off.

Form is a funny thing, it leaves you when you need it most.

As much as I consider Katich to be finished at test level, in the interest of balance I would have to give him the nod.

I guess I am conservative, and would rely on the rest of the top and the middle orders to provide suitable back up if the worst happens and we find our selves 2 for not much.

On a side note, has either Hodge or Haddin ever opened for thier states? I can't remember them ever doing so personally.

hodge has opened a few times in FC for poor returns, he has opened a few times in 50/50 and has done a bit better, but he has never shown anything by good ordinary form in the 50/50 form.

hodge has opened a few times in FC for poor returns, he has opened a few times in 50/50 and has done a bit better, but he has never shown anything by good ordinary form in the 50/50 form.

If thats the case, my original conservatism returns. I would have to give the nod to Katich to retain some sort of balance to the line up, even if he fails in the second innings.

zcTqHiK8c98umew6HQPuZ5zX_400.jpg

Katich went cheaply.

That doesn't mean he shouldn't have been picked.

The opposition is irrelevant.

Clearly only when it suits you obviously.

We still pick the guys who merit it. We don't just throw that out the window when we play a battler.

Stupid, thoughtless argument. No vision and no understanding of where our side is at. Disastrous idea.

Clearly only when it suits you obviously.
How is it clear?

You've made no effort to demonstrate it.

Stupid, thoughtless argument. No vision and no understanding of where our side is at. Disastrous idea.
Picking players on merit is stupid?

The young players you're pushing for (Pomersbach and who else?) haven't done enough. It's not like these guys are demanding selection.

Making them wait 12 months isn't going to hurt them or the side.

Why is it absolutely vital to pick Pomersbach right now?

Let him back up his break-out season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Should Katich have been picked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back