Should the Anzac day clash be untrollable?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nick Maxwell loves belting out the analogies. Mick Malthouse's assertion that they'd let the ANZACs down showed how little self awareness the man has.

My pet hate is the ANZAC Medal, and the way it's some accolade for a player to be proud of. It's a game of footy, it has nothing to do with the commemoration of sacrifice, so stop pretending it's a medal of any significance.
Bayer....Mention Nick Maxwell on one of my threads again and I'll report ya

All for raising awareness but it's not the AFL's holy day as it's not about the AFL or footy.

As an ex serviceman I'll never attend a football game on this day only as my day is spent attending services, catching up with old comrades, discussing with them old times and mates and family who never made it home (or made it home but still live the war every night in their dreams) over a beer or two at an RSL.

All for the games being played but lets keep it real and about our service men and women, out footy's holy day is in September.

If you dont mind me asking, which war/wars were you involved with?

If it raises awareness then so be it.
My partner is a Kiwi,so our 2 kiddies are kinda like 2 little Anzacs.
But we choose to take them to the Frankston service to help them understand the deep significance of this day for our 2 nations.

Dude.....You are missing the point. Nobody believes that its right, but unfortunately it is factual. I remember Anzac days in the 80's, early 90's.....It was sad, most kids wouldn't even know what ANZAC stood for. The power of AFL is too big in most people's lives, so as soon as a symbolic ame was cemented, the ******s got right behind the whole concept of the day again

If that's true I'd seriously question the victorian education system.

When I was a kid (see first year of school was 1991) everybody learnt about ANZAC day, in every year of school from Simpson and his donkey to the charge of the light horse. The Dardanelles campaign, aboriginal servicemen, training in Egypt, underage recruits. And on and on it goes

Every year we learned something new. additional the day was a marked occasion growing up, news coverage of dawn services. We had former and current servicemen come to school we had minutes scilence, lowering the flag, the last post. And I never even knew about the Anzac day clash until it started being broadcast up here. The news didn't even mention it.

You'd have to be living under a rock in Sydney not to know ANZAC day and what it was about, Martin place and museum are basically dedicated to it. There's live coverage of dawn services, a march through the city.

Not not a single thing to do with footy. Hell the first rugby league Anzac day game goes all the way back until the the 1920's and yet their was almost no coverage of the game until the mid 2000's nobody gave a shit about it until rugby league realised they could cash in on it by making it an event, you would only know about it if you sort the information out.

All for raising awareness but it's not the AFL's holy day as it's not about the AFL or footy.

As an ex serviceman I'll never attend a football game on this day only as my day is spent attending services, catching up with old comrades, discussing with them old times and mates and family who never made it home (or made it home but still live the war every night in their dreams) over a beer or two at an RSL.

All for the games being played but lets keep it real and about our service men and women, out footy's holy day is in September.
I'm
If that's true I'd seriously question the victorian education system.

When I was a kid (see first year of school was 1991) everybody learnt about ANZAC day, in every year of school from Simpson and his donkey to the charge of the light horse. The Dardanelles campaign, aboriginal servicemen, training in Egypt, underage recruits. And on and on it goes

Every year we learned something new. additional the day was a marked occasion growing up, news coverage of dawn services. We had former and current servicemen come to school we had minutes scilence, lowering the flag, the last post. And I never even knew about the Anzac day clash until it started being broadcast up here. The news didn't even mention it.

You'd have to be living under a rock in Sydney not to know ANZAC day and what it was about, Martin place and museum are basically dedicated to it. There's live coverage of dawn services, a march through the city.

Not not a single thing to do with footy. Hell the first rugby league Anzac day game goes all the way back until the the 1920's and yet their was almost no coverage of the game until the mid 2000's nobody gave a shit about it until rugby league realised they could cash in on it by making it an event, you would only know about it if you sort the information out.
I will tell you right now.....ANZAC day was nearly redundant, so much so, there was a push for the education system here in Victoria to not educate people on past wars. Thankfully, this was only by a small group of tree hugging do gooders and this wasn't passed. But I am telling you, Anzac awareness is now at an all time high and unfortunately, it took a game of footy to entice the young

Yes

I still remember Anus Wantfrees playing in the ANZAC game a few years back, diving like the pea heart he is. Weak acts like that should not be tolerated in any game but especially the ANZAC clash.

Junkies probably should be allowed to play either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon if footy can raise awareness for the great day that Anzac day is, and be used to educate kids, then I'm all for it. And I can't recall any coach ever saying or liking this game to be anything remotely like anything diggers went through.
Enjoy the day and remember why we have it. For me personally this day is the biggie. Forget Australia day, today is the reason our country is as great as it is.

They do it all the time, preceded by the "im not comparing footy to war, far from it, BUT......."

I'm not racist but.......

If they wanted to honour the anzacs properly, theyd both lose the game

They do it all the time, preceded by the "im not comparing footy to war, far from it, BUT......."

I'm not racist but.......

If they wanted to honour the anzacs properly, theyd both lose the game

We will have to respectfully agree to disagree.

Secretly thinks OP is making a cheap attempt to make friends to back him up when Norf get ****ed in the *** by the big purple Wanchors

I am quite comfortable believing "The Anzac day clash" will be interpreted by most as Collingwood V Essendon, after all....They do play it EVERY Anzac day :thumbsu:
Confused by this
Normally at events you put the lesser opening acts on first.Leaving the headliner star acts to finish the show

Shit thread.

I can't stand the constant references to mateship, bravery etc and how they're so relevant to football.
It's a sport. It's entertainment. It is not war. There's no glory in war- just a lot of blood.
ANZAC day lost much of its meaning years ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Should the Anzac day clash be untrollable?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back