Should the club tap Tex and Rory on the shoulder now? possible farewell game

Remove this Banner Ad

This board is very quick to write off Tex. Much like when we were at the bottom of the ladder last time. When the delivery isn't a total basket case he'll look good again.

Kicked 1.2 against Melbourne and gave a freebie to Keays, could have very well been a 4 goal performance with 15 touches and 10 marks.

He's nearing the end but hang five on trying to retire him.
Also got his head ripped off in the first qtr and played on one of the best full backs in the league.

Assuming his back comes good Tex still has a couple of years ahead of him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I concur with this... he may not be as consistent but he will still have moments to win games off his own boot and Tyler welsh and the rest of the forward line need his mentoring

I concur with this... he may not be as consistent but he will still have moments to win games off his own boot and Tyler welsh and the rest of the forward line need his mentoring
Forward line still looks good long term with a number of elite smalls and TT seemingly primed for a big year this year before injury. And Welsh to come as a likely first rounder third tall. But the real worry…

Is Fog ever going to step up to be half the player we expected him to be? 7 years in and he is a mid career player who has never kicked more than mid 30 goals in a year. The sad and slow realisation is that he doesn’t appear capable of ever taking over from Tex in any meaningful manner. Apparently screwed the club hard for his contract extension and let’s face facts - he hasn’t delivered, He is the real concern IMO

Forward line still looks good long term with a number of elite smalls and TT seemingly primed for a big year this year before injury. And Welsh to come as a likely first rounder third tall. But the real worry…

Is Fog ever going to step up to be half the player we expected him to be? 7 years in and he is a mid career player who has never kicked more than mid 30 goals in a year. The sad and slow realisation is that he doesn’t appear capable of ever taking over from Tex in any meaningful manner. Apparently screwed the club hard for his contract extension and let’s face facts - he hasn’t delivered, He is the real concern IMO
Yeah man great question re Fog, Geewizz when the fog gets going he's amazing to watch, I have been called crazy before for saying that I truly believe Fog has a great midfielders football IQ, his strength abilities by foot are elite and if he could build a good tank he would be top 5 midfielders in the comp currently, he is a beast, can you imagine trying to tackle this guy. The big if is can he build a tank and are the coaches willing to give him spurts in the middle?

If Sloane were getting the taps on the shoulder he should have been getting for the past several years he'd have dents in his shoulders. Way past time to go, and it's sad to see one of the greats of our club clinging on like this.

Tex I think still has something to offer. I'm not going to judge his output too harshly this year given how sh*t our ball movement and delivery has been. Should at least play out the year and make a call then - wouldn't necessarily object to him going again next year. I'd have him in the team ahead of Fog at this point.

We've got 11 players out of contract this year, we're obviously not going to cut them all. Sloane and Smith must go, Himmelberg will go to GWS as FA, hard to see Bond getting a new contract. I can see any or all of Berry, Sholl, McHenry and Gollant getting delisted or traded (OK, McHenry is probably less likely given how often he gets selected). That's at least 4, possibly as many as 8 changes, let's say it ends up being 6 (not considering rookies). That's before we get to Tex. I doubt we want to dig that deep into the draft.

I don't agree that Tex is finished, we've seen how Tex flourished under a decent forward coach. I think he's currently the victim of poor coaching and not father time.

Let him get his back right and then get him to 300 games.
I don’t reckon Ted will want to play on if he doesn’t have a good year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just posted this, would be different if we were flying, I don’t reckon he’s got another year of us being s**t in him.

Then I’d put him straight in as the forward coach.
That's the impression I get as well.
People talk about Hawkins going on but have a look at the delivery and game plan that Geelong are playing and it would make a forwards job a hell of a lot easier.
I normally detest having our ex players as coaches but Tex is the exception, he would be a great forward coach.
But would he want to work under Nicks ???

I don’t reckon Ted will want to play on if he doesn’t have a good year

He’ll know that it’s injury influenced though. I reckon he’ll want to go around again if it’s offered. Plus I reckon we’ll be clearing out a decent chunk of our bottom end, so doubt there’ll be a lot of appetite to lose the very experienced guys.

That's the impression I get as well.
People talk about Hawkins going on but have a look at the delivery and game plan that Geelong are playing and it would make a forwards job a hell of a lot easier.
I normally detest having our ex players as coaches but Tex is the exception, he would be a great forward coach.
But would he want to work under Nicks ???
Tex would give an arm and leg for the footy club

I think they should.

I won't be happy if we go into 2025 trying to work out a forward line with life after Tex. We have the rest of the year to work out how it's all going to work.

Just posted this, would be different if we were flying, I don’t reckon he’s got another year of us being s**t in him.

Then I’d put him straight in as the forward coach.

No, has to do time somewhere else.

He has been a great servant of the club but I wouldn't say our club has had the best player leadership over the last ten years.

This board is very quick to write off Tex. Much like when we were at the bottom of the ladder last time. When the delivery isn't a total basket case he'll look good again.

Kicked 1.2 against Melbourne and gave a freebie to Keays, could have very well been a 4 goal performance with 15 touches and 10 marks.

He's nearing the end but hang five on trying to retire him.
Agreed. There are a lot here who like to jump the gun. He was immobile in his first game after the back spasm, but his attitude against Melbourne looked much better. The main problem I see right now, just like at the start of last year, is that he has not regained his kicking skills, but that is likely to return with game time. Only if it doesn't by the end of the year will he be finished.

I agree that, in normal peak kicking form, he would have had many more goals from the last two games. He needs to practice his routines and regain kicking confidence. Then, any other of his ageing problems can be glossed over.

I think Tex still has value but I do feel that this will be his last year. If his performances decline further then yes there is a chance he will get and injury that will take him out of the game for most of the season and he could get a farewell game late in the season. He is a champion and deserves to retire as one.

I can see them bowing out together in our last home game for the year against the Bulldogs in Round 22. It would be fitting, since by all accounts they're close friends and have played pretty much their entire AFL journeys together.

I think that will happen except it should happen earlier like 2/3's of the way through the year when mathematically we are out of contention.

If Tex isn't going to play on it would be stupid to keep playing him then spend summer and the first few rounds of 2025 experimenting with our forward line.

I don't think even our club will be that stupid so the tap on the shoulder will come.

Tex just needs some time off to heal the back, then see how he goes second half of year. He was only in career best form 6 months ago, no reason he can't play for another year or two.

Hawkins is 3 years older and still playing well...
How well would Hawkins be playing if he had our midfield kicking it to him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back