Keays, Dawson now Tex.

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think the Keays decision has affected this club. We probably would have beaten Carlton in that EF, before losing in the SF. Would we have been better in 2024?, maybe, maybe not.

Last night's no call, even if it was correct would have probably made no difference on our season, Keays call and the 0-4 start was probably the killer, bad coaching moves, some players not mentally switched on. Got a tough draw and it is hard to see us winning any games outside of Hawthorn, West Coast and North right now.

Prime time home games at AO, don't we have a poor record in those. I think we have won less than 50% of those home games on Thursday and Friday nights (not including Dawson after the siren vs Port as that was not on FTA TV). The worst game was that R23 game vs West Coast in 2016 which probably cost us a decent chance at winning a flag.

Essendon have not won a final in 20 years, let's hope their insane celebration is not going to derail their season but it may actually. I still remember when they beat us last year, they outplayed us big time, jumped to 5th on the ladder but then it all fell apart for them. They have the Pies next week!

And with Adelaide been involved (esp our so called sook supporters, or right in front of me supporters), the uproar on social media is ABSOLUTLEY INSANE!

Just on the missed Keays goal vs Sydney.

All it meant is we would be leading with about a minute or so remaining in the game, with us there was no certainty we would have won.

Probably a 70% chance we would have won. But yes there was still time for the Swans.

Could have won it if the umpire made a decision (rather than a non-decision). Could also have won it if Rachele wasn't busy hearing footsteps.
Could have won comfortably if we'd played half-decent football

Not to mention if we’re being serious Tex dropped the ball trying to break a tackle about 3 seconds before the Draper incident. This is why people need to shut up, footy goes both ways.
You’ve been able to drop the ball for years and the only reason the dogs still exist.

we have been done out of 12 premiership points by umpires in half a season worth of games.

I mean, … no? Objectively no.

We’ve been done out of leading the Swans with 70 seconds left and two set shots that might have won the game.

There’s no guarantee that we would have won vs the Swans if Keays was paid a goal (as GROTTO points out), or that we would have kicked the two set shots.

The umpiring standard is dogshit, don’t get me wrong, but there’s.. what… like dozen bad calls every game, each materially effecting the result?

Not sure hyperfocusing on bad calls that just happen to go against us late in close games is… useful - certainly not for the club/players, probably not for us either.

Bigger contributors to our recent failures than a couple dodgy decisions is… the coaching panel, the club administration, list management and drafting decisions, about half of our best 22, the SANFL I guess, and, of course, God Almighty’s personal hatred for the Adelaide Football Club.

Yeah, right, the Swans kicked 1 point in that last quarter and were out on their feet. It is possible they may have kicked a goal in the last 90 seconds of a quarter we dominated, but highly unlikely.
Again, the chance of Dawson missing the sealer from 30 out dead in front is remote.
Do you think Tex would have missed last night if given the rightful free?

Yeah, right, the Swans kicked 1 point in that last quarter and were out on their feet. It is possible they may have kicked a goal in the last 90 seconds of a quarter we dominated, but highly unlikely.
Again, the chance of Dawson missing the sealer from 30 out dead in front is remote.
The Dawson shot would’ve been 45m out (man on the mark 38-40m out, very slight angle, but the favourable side for a lefty). Despite the after the siren heroics against Port (which was a lucky shank), Dawson’s set shot goalkicking record from outside 40m is not very good, at all. I’d say it was a 50/50 proposition.

We were paid a holding the ball free right on half time against Essendon that was an absolute howler, a far worse umpiring error than the final non-call in fact (not even the Adelaide crowd thought it was holding the ball lol), that resulted in Fog having an easy set shot from 40ish metres out after the HT siren, which he shanked. I’d say those 2 blown calls absolutely balanced each other out.

The Keays goal umpiring error absolutely stole 4 points from us - the Swans were beyond out on their feet and I agree with you there. Swans were a 5% chance at best of scoring a goal from that point onwards.

Right, because the Crows never dominate a last quarter to claw back a deficit only to choke away the game in the last minute. That's not something that's ever happened.

You're acting like they'd be kicking from the goalsquare. Even if you think they're both like 80% chances to kick accurately that's still not a guaranteed 8 points we've been done out of.

Could have won it if the umpire made a decision (rather than a non-decision). Could also have won it if Rachele wasn't busy hearing footsteps.
Could have won it if Nankervis hadn’t hand balled directly to an Essendon player resulting in a goal… the kids are going to make mistakes under pressure… ridiculous that Rachele is getting blamed for the loss. What matters from here is how the kids respond to their mistakes in next weeks game. Neither deserve to be dropped.

Oh here we go. Maybe if we’d scored a goal with all those forward entries in the final 5 minutes we might have won? No, instead we rely on umpires. FWIW I was happy with that decision, he didn’t drag it in, might’ve made no attempt but meh.
"Bloody Victorians. We would powerhouse if it wasn't for them."

Not to mention if we’re being serious Tex dropped the ball trying to break a tackle about 3 seconds before the Draper incident. This is why people need to shut up, footy goes both ways.

Although, not making excuses for us being a backset case, but we know this is as Victorian competition. It shows in the horrendous finals fixturing, the father-son rule and the statistically lop-sided umpiring decisions.

This is what makes being a Crows supporter even more frustrating. Before the ball is even bounced we are are disadvantaged given the nature of the competition and then on top of that we fill key positions with really incompetent people.

Last edited:
Although, not making excuses for us being a backset case, but we know this is as Victorian competition. It shows in the horrendous finals fixturing, the father-son rule and the statistically lop-sided umpiring decisions.

This is what makes being a Crows supporter even more frustrating. Before the ball is even bounced we are are disadvantaged given the nature of the competition and then on top of that we fill key positions with really incompetent people.

Nonsense

We got the fixture we wanted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we please stop with the narrative, we would have definitely played finals if we had beaten Sydney.

If the result had been reversed at the end of R23 we would have still been out of the 8, 2 points behind Sydney going into R24.

Now we would have likely beaten West Coast in Perth (we could have choked) but Sydney, if their finals lives depended on it, may have beaten Melbourne in Sydney. Likely? Certainly possible given Melbourne couldn’t improve their position (started round in 4th and ended in 4th) or lose their top 4 position.

In hindsight, the best thing that could have happened was if Sydney had beaten Melbourne as it would have consigned this whole finals narrative to the rubbish bin.

We don’t have a choice, all grand finals are contracted to play there (Covid years excluded).
And that's my whole point. I was talking to Drummond about the inequities of the competition and I mentioned one of them being the finals fixturing i.e. grand finals.

Could have won it if Nankervis hadn’t hand balled directly to an Essendon player resulting in a goal… the kids are going to make mistakes under pressure… ridiculous that Rachele is getting blamed for the loss. What matters from here is how the kids respond to their mistakes in next weeks game. Neither deserve to be dropped.
Or if Fogarty hadn't forgotten how to kick for goal for the last 12 months. I'm sure we can all think of other incidents as well. However, few looked as bad as Rachele's two massive blunders.

... and I never said that he should be dropped.

But a game is so much more than one single defining moment.
This! There's nothing to say the goal would've been kicked if the free was given. Maybe likely, but we'll never know.
Last week, Berry's snap was a goal; we win.
On Friday, Rachele's late snap missed; we lose.

Both of those were on the back of 120 minutes of footy that contained mistakes and misses by both teams.

I'm much, much more upset about our 0-4 start, Nicks' confusing selections of McHenry and Sholl and blatant favouritism towards underperforming senior players, Nicks' garbage, slow, chip-chip, stoppage-crowding defensive game, Burns' mauling of our forwards, our skill level/kicking and more.

- Sport is not about the best team 'deserving to win'. Only fools make that point.

- If this game went the other way people would be lauding Adelaide for their Goals to Behind ratio. But because they lost it is about Essendon deserving to win. The only difference is an umpiring decision, give up the delusion it doesn't make an impact.

- HTB at HT, Tex 15 seconds prior are all irrelevant. This toxic view that it's 'swings and roundabouts' just excuses mediocrity. Two wrongs don't make a right and if Essendon want to jump up and down about those decisions they can. It doesn't mean Adelaide need to stay quiet.

- We can be both happy our farcical gameplan didn't get rewarded with 4 pts AND be upset that yet again in the critical moment of the game we were robbed. Thats 12 premiership points in a year. Regardless of how bad our gameplan is that's worth whinging about.

- On that point what the hell? Why is it always our club that shuts up? In the same week serial recidivist Charlie Cameron gets let off with a good guy challenge, Adelaide don't even challenge the decision made against their own player. Every club is challenging ervery ban this year but we just roll over? Once again we roll over this week as yet again we get shafted by the umpires. Clearly the Dawson and Keays decision didn't result in a directive to the umpires to give us a win so why aren't we creating this pressure ourselves?

Last edited:
- On that point what the hell? Why is it always our club that shuts up? In the same week serial recidivist Charlie Cameron gets let off with a good guy challenge, Adelaide don't even challenge the finding. Every club is challenging ervery ban this year but we just roll over? Once again we roll over this week as yet again we get shafted by the umpires. Clearly the Dawson and Keays decision didn't result in a directive to the umpires to give us a win so why aren't we creating this pressure ourselves?
OK... you almost had me, right up to the point where you suggested that Adelaide should be challenging the tribunal's decision to let Charlie off. How TF do you think they were supposed to do that?

Clubs can challenge (i.e. appeal) decisions made against their own players. They cannot now, nor have they ever been able to, challenge decisions made about other teams' players. Adelaide weren't even involved in that match, so they have no grounds whatsoever for getting involved.

The only parties to that decision are Charlie Cameron, the Brisbane Lions, the AFL, and (debateably) Melbourne (whose player was tackled dangerously). Adelaide are & were never a party to the decision, so they have no grounds for challenging.

Irrelevant deflection which has nothing to do with the 2024 fixture, or this thread.

We would have played at the MCG in 2017 no matter who the opponent was.
Yeah right. Every comment in every thread stays on topic and there's never a deviation into another discussion.

Some in the Crows supporter base hey mate - god help us.

Last edited:
- Sport is not about the best team 'deserving to win'. Only fools make that point.

- If this game went the other way people would be lauding Adelaide for their Goals to Behind ratio. But because they lost it is about Essendon deserving to win. The only difference is an umpiring decision, give up the delusion it doesn't make an impact.
I rate these points. "Deserving" to win is such a flog.

If you lose by 3 points with fewer scoring shots, "The other team kept us in it, we didn't deserve to win."
If you lose by 3 points with more scoring shots, "The other team kicked better, we didn't deserve to win."

Plenty of teams win games they didn't "deserve" to win. Essendon were definitely the better team skills-wise on the night, by far. Yet they still only won by 3 points. Hell, we kicked more goals than them. Why does the team that only converted their dominance into 10 goals deserve to win more than the team that fumbled their way through the game yet still converted 11 goals?

Last edited:
Yeah right. Every comment in every thread stays on topic and there's never a deviation into another discussion.

Some in the Crows supporter base hey mate - god help us.
To be fair, yes, there are many digressions and "deviations into another discussion" in threads.

However, I believe Sanders was referring to the 2024 fixture that "we wanted", after complaints were made to the AFL about the Sydney loss.
Nothing to do with the 2017 GF, or Richmond's "home ground" in any way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Keays, Dawson now Tex.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back