Opinion Should the Premiership Cup be called the Barassi Cup?

Should the Premiership Cup be called the Barassi Cup?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There's obviously a lot of emotion and outpouring after the death of the great man. There is no rush to a decision required.

Grief and love/lust are the worst times to make decisions. Much better to wait till the emotions have returned to a more stable state.

Geewizz I wish I knew this 30 years ago. Instead I ran ecstaticaly into the witch's den with my mind lost, and have still not found my way out.
Just click the heels of your ruby slippers and say "There's no place like home" 3 times. It's that one trick divorce lawyers don't want you to know about.

Yep, go for it I think.

10 flags as an individual is phenomenal and impossible to see it ever being bettered.

Nobody really has a good argument otherwise. People just say “nah, it doesn’t have to have a name”. Yeah… really convincing argument.

Do it.
Fos Williams bettered it, didn't he? You're not calling for his name on it.
EDIT: I think he Played/Coached in 6, and only coached 3, so 9. Still, I think it's a very VFL oriented idea.

I don’t really have a firm opinion either way, but I find the argument “we can’t name an AFL trophy after Barassi because he was a VFL great” to be a weird one. On that basis we should rename the Norm Smith or the Brownlow, and to my knowledge nobody wants that.

Barassi still had a stack of influence on the game after it became a national competition anyway, so the point is moot.

I couldn't have confidently told you whether or not it was already named after someone before this week. I can't think of any reason for it not to be named after anyone as a rule, and as such, Ron Barassi wouldn't be a bad choice if it is to be named after someone.

Fos Williams bettered it, didn't he? You're not calling for his name on it.
EDIT: I think he Played/Coached in 6, and only coached 3, so 9. Still, I think it's a very VFL oriented idea.

Check John Cahill's record at Port Adelaide. 4x premiership player, 10x premiership coach.

No to Barassi Cup - it's no longer the VFL as much as Victorians want it to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think so, he is a legend of the game but most of his achievements are VFL and we now have a national game. Why name it after Barassi and not after other states legends who have also added to our game?

I don't think the premiership Cup should be named after anyone. Its just the cup and that's how it should be.

The best of ground is already named after a MFC identity. Melbourne and indeed Victoria having a monopoly on naming rights to these things doesn’t sit well with me in a national competition. Probably leave it alone I’d say.

So no.

The mcg however IS a Victorian institution….Naming a stand after him is most appropriate. The mcg has two stands named after cricketers and none after footballers. Rename the Olympic stand I reckon.

“we can’t name an AFL trophy after Barassi because he was a VFL great” to be a weird one. On that basis we should rename the Norm Smith or the Brownlow, and to my knowledge nobody wants that.
The majority of those awards were named for VFL players when it was the VFL. I think now it's the AFL, it's not the same thing.

To be honest, I really don't mind, I just find claims he was the greatest, therefore X a bit myopic. There were greats in the major leagues and Barassi sits comfortably at the top echelon. If the powers that be decide to name something after him, fine, but in fairness, there's others they be naming things after too.

The majority of those awards were named for VFL players when it was the VFL. I think now it's the AFL, it's not the same thing.

To be honest, I really don't mind, I just find claims he was the greatest, therefore X a bit myopic. There were greats in the major leagues and Barassi sits comfortably at the top echelon. If the powers that be decide to name something after him, fine, but in fairness, there's others they be naming things after too.
It’s not unreasonable what you’re saying, but in the case of Barassi specifically, he had a sufficiently significant impact on the national competition that I wouldn’t be against the renaming of the cup on the basis of him only being a VFL great.

Like I said though, I’m not really fussed whether it happens or not so long as he’s honoured in some way.

It’s not unreasonable what you’re saying, but in the case of Barassi specifically, he had a sufficiently significant impact on the national competition that I wouldn’t be against the renaming of the cup on the basis of him only being a VFL great.

Like I said though, I’m not really fussed whether it happens or not so long as he’s honoured in some way.
Agreed. I think there will be a something big before the GF and some memorial award/event for him, as there should.

The best of ground is already named after a MFC identity. Melbourne and indeed Victoria having a monopoly on naming rights to these things doesn’t sit well with me in a national competition. Probably leave it alone I’d say.

So no.

The mcg however IS a Victorian institution….Naming a stand after him is most appropriate. The mcg has two stands named after cricketers and none after footballers. Rename the Olympic stand I reckon.
Yeah really deserves a stand named after him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Should the Premiership Cup be called the Barassi Cup?

Back