Opinion Should the Premiership Cup be called the Barassi Cup?

Should the Premiership Cup be called the Barassi Cup?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't lose sleep if they did name it after him. In saying that, I agree I don't think every award needs a name attached to it, and the Premiership cup works as a stand alone given it's significance.

I think there's other potential ways to honour him. It doesn't necessarily need to be an award.

Initially, I thought naming the Cup after him was a good idea, after taking the emotion out of his passing, perhaps something else should be arranged? The renaming of Joimont Road to Barassi Rd, Way or Drive? The Jolimont station renamed Barassi station? or naming the Premiership Medals handed out to every participating winning Grand Final player "The Barassi Medal"? I'm off the Cup idea now, i like the medal as a long lasting tribute.

Check John Cahill's record at Port Adelaide. 4x premiership player, 10x premiership coach.

No to Barassi Cup - it's no longer the VFL as much as Victorians want it to be.
You are aware that Barassi was a big influence in growing the game interstate, which in turn allowed the game to be in a position to evolve into a national competition.

Maybe you should take your minnow club bias out of it and look at the bigger picture.
Ron Barassi was one of only a very few people, who was revered in the game and as much as you like it or not, without the glory days of the VFL, there would be no AFL.
Sometimes to appreciate what you have, you need to reflect on what and who got us here.
He got us here more than most.

Now I do agree with you about not naming the cup after him but for different reasons.

The Premiership Cup, is prestigious and really IMO shouldn't have a name attached to it, as it is a whole club achievement and should be always know for what it is, The Premiership Cup.

I would be happy if the players premiership medal was named the Ron Barassi medal, I think that would be better recognition of one of the greatest contributors to our great game.

Check John Cahill's record at Port Adelaide. 4x premiership player, 10x premiership coach.

National competition. No.

If anything there's too much old VFL representation in the current awards.

Some of you clowns need a history lesson - he was a fierce proponent of having a national competition.

Aside from Kevin Sheedy it's hard to think of anybody (incl anybody from SA or WA) who was more passionate about creating a national competition. And they walked the talk and went and did it when asked.

A whopping 13 wins over 3 seasons at the Swans in the 90s isn't really a compelling argument for him being and 'AFL' identity.

What is this?

The year before he arrived the Swans were wooden spooners and on their knees.

The year after he left they played in the Grand Final.

He was asked by the AFL to come out of retirement and head to Sydney and he did a mighty job with them. He also remained a board member for many years after he was coach.

I tell ya... some of the "opinions" you come across on this site really beggar belief.

Playing and coaching aside... casting aside the state-based stuff and having national footy was the core passion of Barassi. Fair dinkum.

Some of you clowns need a history lesson - he was a fierce proponent of having a national competition.

We're aware but every award is named after someone who made all their achievements in the VFL. Pushing for a national competition isn't an 'achievement'. He wasn't the only person to push for a national competition.

Aside from Kevin Sheedy it's hard to think of anybody (incl anybody from SA or WA) who was more passionate about creating a national competition.

Other than the people who, you know, entered the VFL with the inclusion of the Eagles/Bears?

And they walked the talk and went and did it when asked.

Did what exactly?

What is this?

The year before he arrived the Swans were wooden spooners and on their knees.

The year after he left they played in the Grand Final.

Great.

His 13 wins to 46 losses during his coaching period massively set them up for a grand final berth, I'm sure.

Maybe Eade was just a good coach back then?

I'm sure Barassi had a great contribution to the Swans but it wasn't a significant one as a coach, based off his W/L record. Perhaps he left a lasting legacy with the players but it's trivialising Eade's achievement of actually making a GF by attributing it to Barassi.

He was asked by the AFL to come out of retirement and head to Sydney and he did a mighty job with them. He also remained a board member for many years after he was coach.

Nobody's disputing his contribution to the Swans over a long period of time.

I tell ya... some of the "opinions" you come across on this site really beggar belief.

Playing and coaching aside... casting aside the state-based stuff and having national footy was the core passion of Barassi. Fair dinkum.

That's great and all but it doesn't mean the premiership cup needs to be named after him.

There's plenty of other ways to honour Barassi, other than re-naming the on thing that probably shouldn't be re-named.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guess who a major advocate of the national competition was? And who, when the future of the Swans was truly on the line, put his money where his mouth was and coached them?

Name the free agency period after him in memory of his move from Melbourne to Carlton and being North's coach while they loaded up with free agents in the 70s.
There were only three players that North acquired under the 10 year rule, I wouldn't call that "loading up".

Last edited:
A whopping 13 wins over 3 seasons at the Swans in the 90s isn't really a compelling argument for him being and 'AFL' identity.
With respect, he went to Sydney to build professionalism and standards for a club that was a laughing stock.

He set it up for the next coach who a year later took them to a grand final. He built a club that players wanted to come play for, and weren’t just there for a pay check.

The shifting of that Sydney culture pre his tenure vs post is remarkable.

If you think the most significant aspect of Barassi's time coaching the Swans was his win/loss record, you really don't get it.

With respect, he went to Sydney to build professionalism and standards for a club that was a laughing stock.

He set it up for the next coach who a year later took them to a grand final. He built a club that players wanted to come play for, and weren’t just there for a pay check.

The shifting of that Sydney culture pre his tenure vs post is remarkable.

Yep, that's fair and what I was alluding to.

If you think the most significant aspect of Barassi's time coaching the Swans was his win/loss record, you really don't get it.
Thought I made it pretty clear the most significant impact of Barassi's time at the Swans wasn't in the coaches' box....

You are aware that Barassi was a big influence in growing the game interstate, which in turn allowed the game to be in a position to evolve into a national competition.

Maybe you should take your minnow club bias out of it and look at the bigger picture.
I'm not taking way anything from Barassi, he was a legend.

But I find these arguments a bit unconvincing, and they just seem to be like arguing over footy teams: My teams better because we have the most passionate fans! No, my teams shits on your team because we won a lot of flags!
It's not about facts, but likes or tastes, so nobody's right or wrong. Player X was better than player Y because I value player X more....etc.

Barassi being a big influence in growing the game interstate allowed the game to be in a position to evolve into a national competition doesn't really work? If Barassi didn't exist, there would still be a national competitition because the VFL had to grow or fold and like all businesses it gobbled up the competition and it wasn't the VFL, it would have been the SANFL or WAFL.

I also don't get calling Port in the SANFL a minnow. They were the most successful team in a league that was a peer of the VFL. You don't have to put down one thing to praise another.

Anyway, like I said above, I feel it's more about arguing likes than facts when you count one persons achievements and devalue another's. So, I'll leave it here. I only wanted to make a silly joke about how to escape a witch, and ended up getting caught up in the weeds.

Yep, that's fair and what I was alluding to.

Thought I made it pretty clear the most significant impact of Barassi's time at the Swans wasn't in the coaches' box....
I am not sure why you think his win/loss record at the Swans is even relevant then.

The point about Barassi's time at the Swans was that he gave the club credibility. Everyone here in Sydney knew who Barassi was, even the RL loving types who loathed our game. When he was appointed coach, everyone took notice. And he was the only AFL person who could have attracted that sort of attention in this city at the time. He was far and away the biggest national name in the AFL back then and had been that for many years preceding his appointment as Swans coach.

The best of ground is already named after a MFC identity. Melbourne and indeed Victoria having a monopoly on naming rights to these things doesn’t sit well with me in a national competition. Probably leave it alone I’d say.

So no.

The mcg however IS a Victorian institution….Naming a stand after him is most appropriate. The mcg has two stands named after cricketers and none after footballers. Rename the Olympic stand I reckon.

Now that’s a really good suggestion. Name a stand at the MCG after him. Very appropriate and something I would definitely support. Well done Timmy

I am not sure why you think his win/loss record at the Swans is even relevant then.

Probably because awards tend to be named after on-field achievements.

The point about Barassi's time at the Swans was that he gave the club credibility. Everyone here in Sydney knew who Barassi was, even the RL loving types who loathed our game. When he was appointed coach, everyone took notice. And he was the only AFL person who could have attracted that sort of attention in this city at the time. He was far and away the biggest national name in the AFL back then and had been that for many years preceding his appointment as Swans coach.

If you want to push for Barassi to have some administrative award named after him, be my guest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Should the Premiership Cup be called the Barassi Cup?

Back