Should Usman Khawaja be the next opening batsman?

Remove this Banner Ad

so we are promoting a mentally fragile player after a crap season and a couple of good innings...marvelous :rolleyes:

meanwhile you are no doubt screaming out for the inclusion of Marsh or Ferguson who have there own mental weaknesses. Well done. :rolleyes:

meanwhile you are no doubt screaming out for the inclusion of Marsh or Ferguson who have there own mental weaknesses. Well done. :rolleyes:

er where have I said that?

I've said in this thread Usman Khwaja has a great technique, I think hes a fabulous and disciplined batsman in the past from the little I've seen of him.

I think he should open and hughes should learn discipline or at least have a solid FC season instead of a couple of innings at the end of a crap season to justify his national selection or words to that effect.

I've said in previous threads that Usman looks like one of the best geniune talents to come through.

The other is o'keefe who seems to have it all, batting, fielding and bowling. He's far more capable than anyone else in NSW or even Aus from what I've seen.

Because hardly any Aussies batsmen use their feet... Stuck in the crease is just what a spinner wants. :mad:

Yep. Even in 20/20 they can't play spin that well. In the IPL, it was pretty embarrassing watching players like Finch and Wade try and play decent spin bowling.

Although remembering one of the U19's games I watched that the Aussies won, I recall that both Tom Triffitt and Mitchell Marsh were pretty good against spin. Both used their feet well.

Yep. Even in 20/20 they can't play spin that well. In the IPL, it was pretty embarrassing watching players like Finch and Wade try and play decent spin bowling.

Although remembering one of the U19's games I watched that the Aussies won, I recall that both Tom Triffitt and Mitchell Marsh were pretty good against spin. Both used their feet well.

with usman at least, his defence looks so solid he can bat till his eye is in. he just looks so robust.

with usman at least, his defence looks so solid he can bat till his eye is in. he just looks so robust.

That's the key. One of the great test series of late India in South Africa saw Tendulkar really showcase his superior technique. It just held up under all sorts of Steyn Morkel pressure. Unbelievable contests in that series. :thumbsu:

Interesting story today about Khawaja - the Indian Government have denied him entry into the country to play in the Champion League T20 next month because he was born in Pakistan

Link

I have no doubt the situation will be reversed as he is a sportman. India, like all countries has specific visa criteria for different nations and the relationship with Pakistan is very strained. If I recall correctly Australia also initially refused the visa of a Pakistani wrestler recently? I am surprised they denied it (reading the article on Foxsports it seems the processing will take longer which is fair enough) but I expect all the background checks, paperwork etc. to be fast tracked now. The article I am referring to is http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...-visa-into-india/story-fn2mcu3x-1226111920206.

His visa needs to be fast-tracked. If not, all Indian sportsmen should be refused entry to Australia and we should refuse to play against India in any sport. No Australian should play in the next Indian t20 championship.

His visa needs to be fast-tracked. If not, all Indian sportsmen should be refused entry to Australia and we should refuse to play against India in any sport. No Australian should play in the next Indian t20 championship.

Haha talk about over the top. Wonder when Australia will fast track visa's from non European/UK/US regions? Every country has increased processing times for people born in certain countries.

Anyway Usman's visa has been granted .

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/526738.html

i'm suprised they didn't try and keep that one up their sleeves for when usman was touring as part of an australian test team to try and ruffle the feathers of the national team.

Why are people throwing Shaun Marsh's name up?

It'd be North all over again, except Marsh's record is nowhere near as good to start with!

Marsh has averaged 59.40 over the past two Shield seasons (two 100s and seven 50s in 17 innings), and has had some impressive international performances over the past year or so against world-class competition in both ODIs and the IPL, so he wouldn't be the worst choice to make for the Test side (I wouldn't have him opening though, but I'd have him ahead of guys like Callum Ferguson for a middle order spot). He should already be an absolute fixture in the T20 side (as that's clearly his best format), but he's got good recent form in the longer version of the game too.

Also, where do people think Mark Cosgrove sits? Has averaged 50.63 over the past three Shield seasons (six 100s and five 50s in 37 innings), and got back on track last season with Tasmania and showed that he's got what it takes to open or come in down the order; Averaged 53.73 over 18 innings (at strike rate in the high 60s too IIRC) in 2010-11, with two 100s and three 50s. Is he "on the outer" for good, or would he still be in the minds of the selectors in some form?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shaun Marsh and Usman Khawaja should be the new faces in the Aussie team as it looks to the future because right now the team is full of over-rated players that under-perform.
Oh and Phil Hughes is a lost cause because of his technique alone.

Shaun Marsh and Usman Khawaja should be the new faces in the Aussie team as it looks to the future because right now the team is full of over-rated players that under-perform.
Oh and Phil Hughes is a lost cause because of his technique alone.

First sentence I 100% agree with.

Second sentence, I think it's a bit early to tell. He can look like an absolute spud when he is not in form, but it was only a couple of years ago when he slaughtered Steyn, Ntini and Morkel on South African pitches. Has struggled since that series so maybe it was just the exception and not the norm, very cliche, but this season is huge for Hughes. He will have the first crack at opening and it's up to him if he's going to make it or not.

Also, where do people think Mark Cosgrove sits? Has averaged 50.63 over the past three Shield seasons (six 100s and five 50s in 37 innings), and got back on track last season with Tasmania and showed that he's got what it takes to open or come in down the order; Averaged 53.73 over 18 innings (at strike rate in the high 60s too IIRC) in 2010-11, with two 100s and three 50s. Is he "on the outer" for good, or would he still be in the minds of the selectors in some form?

Still fat? No chance.

Rightly so, he's too fat, and, when he was in Adelaide at least, he was a w***er.

We don't need people lacking discipline and commitment in the side; imagine him running with Hussey or Punter, they'd be sprinting for a third, he'd barely have run two.

Hughes - he'll be alright.

Damon - I don't mind Marsh, but, as I said, it'd be another North-like decision. Marsh hasn't demanded a spot, he'd be a good stopgap, but I don't think that's what we should be pursuing now.

Khawaja is next in for me, Hughes and Ferguson worth a look; get them in for an extended period first.

Still fat? No chance.

Sure, he's still heavily overweight (probably needs to lose about 30kg), and it's definitely "not a good look" if you're trying to promote the team as athletes, but Cosgrove also scores heavily with the bat (always has, really), and is a fairly good slips fielder too (took 12 catches in 11 matches in the 2010-11 Shield season), so I don't think his weight/fitness present much of an issue in practice.

Another thing in Cosgrove's favour is his 52.28 average over 60 innings (with ten centuries and 15 half centuries) in English county cricket during 2006, 2009 and 2010; EVen if all of it wasn't in the top division, it still shows that he can perform in different conditions to those experienced in Australia. The only time he actually struggled as a batsman was from 2006-2008, which was when he was in or around the Australian side (played three ODIs in that period). He's got the form now though, so give him a go FFS.

Also, why is Callum Ferguson always spoken of like he's of the same youthful vintage as Khawaja, Hughes, etc? He'll turn 27 during the 2011-12 summer, and is only a couple of months younger than Cosgrove, and just 18 months younger than Marsh. I know he had a year off with that knee injury, but IMO he hasn't shown a great deal more than either of those two players in his last two Shield seasons (average of 41.76 over 27 innings, with four 100s and three 50s). Ferguson is no more deserving of a spot based on actual output or age/potential than either Marsh or Cosgrove IMO.

Sure, he's still heavily overweight (probably needs to lose about 30kg), and it's definitely "not a good look" if you're trying to promote the team as athletes, but Cosgrove also scores heavily with the bat (always has, really), and is a fairly good slips fielder too (took 12 catches in 11 matches in the 2010-11 Shield season), so I don't think his weight/fitness present much of an issue in practice.

Another thing in Cosgrove's favour is his 52.28 average over 60 innings (with ten centuries and 15 half centuries) in English county cricket during 2006, 2009 and 2010; EVen if all of it wasn't in the top division, it still shows that he can perform in different conditions to those experienced in Australia. The only time he actually struggled as a batsman was from 2006-2008, which was when he was in or around the Australian side (played three ODIs in that period). He's got the form now though, so give him a go FFS.

It's not a good look because it shows that Cosgrove doesn't have the application or desire to want to play for Australia. He was around the set up five years ago, and I reckon if he went and dropped 10kgs he probably would have been playing test matches for Australia for the last five years. Instead, he got bigger, partied in Adelaide and eventually got sacked by South Australia. The fact that he couldn't get fit even though a spot in the ODI side was basically guaranteed, and a spot in the test side was highly likely, says it all.

He doesn't deserve the gig.

It's not a good look because it shows that Cosgrove doesn't have the application or desire to want to play for Australia. He was around the set up five years ago, and I reckon if he went and dropped 10kgs he probably would have been playing test matches for Australia for the last five years. Instead, he got bigger, partied in Adelaide and eventually got sacked by South Australia. The fact that he couldn't get fit even though a spot in the ODI side was basically guaranteed, and a spot in the test side was highly likely, says it all.

He doesn't deserve the gig.

Unless he's changed drastically, this.

If you know anybody in Adelaide who works in hospitality (or a 24 hour McDonalds), you'd have a pretty dim view of Puddings.

What is it, 1900? **** technique, Hughes has talent, and can score runs against the best. Just needs a vote of confidence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Should Usman Khawaja be the next opening batsman?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back