Should we have more states?

Should more states be created?

• Yes

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • No

Votes: 14 60.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the issue is not states being too big, but the fiscal imbalance makes states beg the Commonwealth for funding, and all these calls for national this, national that. Soon the states will just be glorified local councils who can't have their own policy agenda because it's all dependent on how much milk comes out of the teet of Canberra.

But how can the fiscal imbalance be solved? We can't have state income taxes, and we can't have property prices rising into the stratosphere forever to increase stamp duty revenue.

I think the issue is not states being too big, but the fiscal imbalance makes states beg the Commonwealth for funding, and all these calls for national this, national that. Soon the states will just be glorified local councils who can't have their own policy agenda because it's all dependent on how much milk comes out of the teet of Canberra.
I agree. The fundamental problem with Australian government is that the Feds have most of the revenue but the states have to cover critical services like health, education and transport infrastructure. The states will always be mendicants to the federal government for that reason.

But how can the fiscal imbalance be solved? We can't have state income taxes, and we can't have property prices rising into the stratosphere forever to increase stamp duty revenue.
It can't.

Although income taxation powers were surrendered to the Commonwealth in 1942, in theory the States are able to levy income tax. In practice this is unfeasible as Commonwealth funding to States has been contingent on the States not levying income tax.
No chance of any meaningful tax summit held with all states and territories and the feds, with different and short election cycles.
So the can will be kicked down the road indefinitely

Remove this Banner Ad

Should we have more states?

Back