Should we send Smith to the Draft

Send him to the draft?

• Yes

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • No

Votes: 22 61.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Posted my opinion elsewhere, but short point is that it depends on how likely he is to get to Geelong in the draft.

If it’s a certainty then angle for more but take the pick. You gain nothing by sending him to the draft.

If it’s not likely he’ll get there then play hardball and demand a further pick in the 20s. They’ll up their offer.

In a strong draft where we have no pick in the first 30, letting him go for nothing only to get to Geelong anyway would be insane.

I probably wouldn't be too mad either way

I think the smart play is to just take it if it comes to it. We still need quality young players coming through and pick 20 gives us a chance to do that

I'm not totally convinced putting your foot down and sending him to the draft deters this situation happening down the track anyway

I'm confident that Power will blink last and we will get a little add on to that first round pick but I don't think it'll be quite what we want

It's a shit sandwich just like it was in 2014 when Griffen got lured to GWS. What we need is a reprisal raid on Geelong, like we did with GWS in 2014. Max Holmes for instance. Or Gryan Miers.

The 2014 ructions worked out OK in the end. A repeat would be nice, like a one goal win over Geelong in the 2026 PF.

My level of pettiness is beyond reasonable.
Id send him to the draft, make sure we get a pick before Geelong and draft him.
Then we lose the Pick 17 offered, plus all the assets to gain the first rounder to pip them, and have a uncomitted player taking up ~$750k who's seemingly on the nose with the rest of the squad, footy department and our fan base, on our list for the next 12 months (possibly longer).

If there was a "guarantee" that a North, Tiges or other team could grab him rather Geelong, I'd be happy to stand our ground and f him off for nothing if they don't meet us half way in trade.

In isolation, I'd argue that a scenario of them missing out on 7-8 years of a likely AA lvl player (+ missing the off-field juggernaut) + possibly a premiership or two he'd contribute to, for the sake of not giving up a couple of second rounders (with picks coming back) hurts them much more than us missing out on a 1 in 3 chance of getting a top level player.

But ... if we let him walk and he ends up at the Cats anyway, it's embarrassing.

Yes, I still believe Richmond, North or St Kilda will pick him up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
It doesn't matter if you believe it, it only matters if the Cats do. It only helps us as a threat, once it happens we've lost. We might get some satisfaction from another team taking him but it doesn't actually help us.

It’s impossible to answer this without knowing the final offer on the table.

Either way, there’s zero chance we do it unless Sam is given indication from other list managers that they’re prepared to take him before the cats first pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Should we send Smith to the Draft

Back