Preview Side vs Bombers RD 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Yea his "hip"....

Still no Fraser, might be a late swap for Jolly? Medders for Leon was a good change, Locks back in? Probably resting and trying to find a good balance at the same time
31 touches and BOG in the VFL in his only game there.

Considering he got dropped for nothing of his own doing in the first place, deserves the spot.

Glad Davis is rested - he was pulling his kicks last week (and for most of the year for that matter), and I don't mean in direction, I mean he isn't kicking through the ball - bent knee, stab kicks - and that would be explained by a quad/groin injury. (refer to Luke Ball)

Keen to see how they play Medhurst. People have said that Medders has come in for Davis. I disagree. I think Lockyer has come in to play the role Davis has been doing. Macaffer is doing a great job in the forward line in place of Medhurst for most of the year, so I reckon Medders has come in to play the Heath Shaw role (he has been playing in the midfield quite a bit in the twos) which will allow Shaw to drop back into the Goldsack role. I hope Medders does well - been one short in DreamTeam for the past couple of weeks because he hasn't been picked. :)

They weren't dropped, Leon has been struggling with a groin/upper thigh injury for most of the year, while Ball needed a rest before the finals for his groin and hips to recuperate and refresh before the finals.

Goldy has an injury also (didn't train all week) and Ben Reid was never going to play after injuring himself last week.

Ball will get back in, no matter how well anyone plays, and Leon will too, it's the likes of Sidebottom, Johnson, Toovey and MaCaffer that are the players in danger if Meds, Lockyer or Blair "fire".

And that's a pretty strong position to be in, when your bottom 4 players are still bloody good footballers, some in career best form.

If Macaffer continues to kill it and Medhurst plays to his best i fear leon might not get back in, that will be sad.

31 touches and BOG in the VFL in his only game there.

Considering he got dropped for nothing of his own doing in the first place, deserves the spot.

Of course you wouldn't be bias in this case ;) Tarks is a great player, don't get me wrong, but I was hoping Macaffer would get a shot in the team...maybe Tarks has it in him for the finals in MMs eyes

Of course you wouldn't be bias in this case ;) Tarks is a great player, don't get me wrong, but I was hoping Macaffer would get a shot in the team...maybe Tarks has it in him for the finals in MMs eyes
McCarthy? Macaffer's been plaaying exceptional in the seniors already.

Lockyer is more likely o have a positive impact come finals. I firmly believe that, assuming no injuries, this week's four inclusions and the twenty-two of last week will be the twenty-six fighting for the 22 spots. The four coming in having everything to play for, because they comprise those not in the seniors at this very late stage.

Um, NO.

This week would have been terrible to bring Fraser in.

Essendon, if they have nothing else, have 2 ruckman, and 2 ruckman who have smashed Fraser in the past.

Next week is the game to play Josh, he can play as the no.2 ruck when Maric and Jolly go out of the ruck, Adelaide's 2nd ruckman is young and developing (Griffen) but not exactly star worthy yet.

I'd consider resting Dawes or Leeroy next week, for Fraser.

I actually hope Josh plays his 200th next week.

Agree: next week is Fraser's night. Big banner; esp as even Griffen has dodgey ankle now. Any one tall feeling niggles could be rested - Dawes, LBrown, Presti, Jolly?

Also next week let Meds, Locks, Blair and Nate Brown have another game to top up AFL form if called on in the finals campaign. Main concern is still including Shaw's back, but then..beware the sick golfer.

Against Hawks let's assemble the team that beat Saints and Cats to run through a last systems-go game before the finals.

I am abit disapointed with all these changes because lets say Lockeyer and Blair just kill it in the next two or three games it will be tough to get in Luke Ball and Leon Davis back in the team and they didnt deserve to be dropped in the first place.

Dropped? Ball will come straight back in. He'd be in most people first 5 players picked for a final. All those 4 outs will be back by finals, most of them by next week.

Great changes MM and co

still a bit unsure about tarks. On rewatching the last two games he played i thought he made a lot of fundamental errors, seemed a bit slow at times as well.

However other than that its good news. i hope medhurst can play a blinder and maybe just maybe edge out leon for finals

Re: Tean vs Bombers

Instead of being pissed at Leon, be happy that 3 or 4 are getting an opportunity to put their hand up. This has been done well with a lot of thought. I'm just enjoying the ride and hope the new boys instill a bit of urgency tomorrow tonight into a game we could easily drop.

I've got to agree with fresh, if he's not fit he shouldn't be playing, we're on top of the ladder, and we're not struggling to field a good 22.

Why play him everyweek until he is too injured to play? I think it just coincides with his poor form. Maybe Leon is oversensitive and they wait for Leon himself to say to the medico's he's not 100% so they can drop him with an injury.

And why is it that Leon is a certain starter, because of his donuts in a GF?
It's quite clear he can't kick 50 metres at the moment. And he tries to kick the ball differently everytime.

I would've rather given him 10 weeks off to get right, and brought him in then. When fit, he is easily in our best 22. And when injured and out of the team I am sure he's forward line pressure could be closely duplicated by someone else. Medhurst will prove or disprove that friday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time for Harry to get a run in the forward line..
He could so easily take on a role similar to Goodes and be twice the player he is right now.. Talent and flair like his is wasted in the back line.. If we get a good lead early he should get a run..
He could easily become our no1 goalgicker and experience in defense would only firm up our forward pressure..

I see the changes as being a good thing in a number of reasons:
1. Rest those players with niggles to make sure they are 100% for the finals.
2. Give those players who have had limited opportunities a game at AFL level to give them a taste for it in the scenario that they are called upon.
3. To check out how players such as Medhurst fit in this team and give them a final tryout for a position in our best 22.
4. This is also a good opportunity for players such as Blair a shot at kicking a marginal player out after having been good, but unlucky.

On a side note. I'd be pretty keen for Josh to come in and play game #200 this week. He has had a fantastic career and it would be fitting for him to play against Essendon, a team he has had so much history against over his career. Whether his inclusion gives Jolly a week on the sidelines to rest up or Leigh Brown either could be possibilities.

In later weeks I wouldn't be opposed to giving D.Thomas, Sidebottom and Beams a game off just to rest up for the finals. D.Thomas always comes back with energy after a weeks break.

Worried that we might be taking the Bombrays too lightly.

Not liking all those changes and definitely not liking Lockyer back in. We're basically playing a player down from the start.

Not a good sign.

Ohhh Bullshit

Lockyer has been very good when he has been in the team he was very stiff to be dropped but his pace does let him down

He will do his job and i doubt will be in the final 22 come finals

Have some respect blokes still playing good football and has been a gun for the Pies

Ohhh Bullshit

Lockyer has been very good when he has been in the team he was very stiff to be dropped but his pace does let him down

He will do his job and i doubt will be in the final 22 come finals

Have some respect blokes still playing good football and has been a gun for the Pies

'Has been' being the appropriate phrase here.

He WAS a great player for Collingwood pre-knee injury. The game has clearly gone past him, and anyone that sees otherwise is living in the past, or has rose tinted glasses on.

He's a terrible combination of short, slow, weak (physically) and a poor decision maker.

Not sure how that fits into our side. We simply can't afford to be carrying someone like that when we're trying to win a flag. Frankly, I'd rather have Fraser in the side. At least he has height on his side.

^ Calm down Ed. I agree he is past his best and not in our best 22 but he is not a liability and we arn't playing one man down with him in the team.

He'd be in the top 10 players for Essendon at the moment and that's who we're playing tonight.

^ Calm down Ed. I agree he is past his best and not in our best 22 but he is not a liability and we arn't playing one man down with him in the team.

He'd be in the top 10 players for Essendon at the moment and that's who we're playing tonight.

I'm sorry but no.

I used to be one of Tarkyn's biggest fans before he did his knee. He hasn't been the same since.

I watch him closely, and I don't like the way he plays at all. He doesn't attack contests, he waits back hoping for a cheap kick, and lets the ball get away from him in one on ones.

I've changed a lot on a few Collingwood players this year, like Reid and Dawes, but on Tarkyn I refuse to budge.

We're talking about a player who looked terrible in an 82 point victory over Richmond. Normal players would have to TRY and look bad in a victory like that. It comes naturally to Tarks.

Not a chance that Sidebottom, Toovey or Benny Johnson are getting dropped, they are as safe as houses. Blair is taking Ball's spot and will be the first midfield replacement should an injury occur to anyone from here on in.
The real Interest is in the Goldsack, Medhurst, Davis and McAffer contest. I'd say three get in, one misses out. At the moment its Medhurst, but it could so easily change in a couple of weeks. I really hope it's not McAffer, would love to see him continue to improve, he adds an extra dimension to our team. Great hands, great tackler, utility, disciplined and constantly improving. Goldsack too has been excellent since he came in, would be stiff to be left out now, though Shaw could easily drop back.
For me, I'm hoping Medders has a big one and Leon is the one left out. Of course this will all be meaningless if we get an injury, which we probably will. Don't want Reid or Goldsack to miss more than one week. They need their touch and confidence up for finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back