Simon Wiggins - unluckiest player in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 10, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Wiggins was fined $3300 for making contact with an umpire. And it was the umpires' own fault! He bounced the ball back over his left shoulder - rather than straight up, as they're supposed to do - so when Wiggins moved towards the ball the umpire smashed into him. Absolute disgrace!

And Stuart Dew got an initial suspension of 4 games? What is goin on?!?!

yeh unlcuky for wiggins but was dew's swinging arm on polo really necessary?

sure might be a bit soft but it's his own stupid fault for doing such a silly thing

lewiy said:
yeh unlcuky for wiggins but was dew's swinging arm on polo really necessary?

sure might be a bit soft but it's his own stupid fault for doing such a silly thing
Total Cr#p. How can Dew get 2 games. if you want to watch soccer and their non-contact do it this is football a physical game (sorry was). At the moment give me the SANFL, still good skills but it is actually tuff unlike AFL.

pjcrows said:
i absolutely agree, but 4 games? come on. 1 at the most.

yeh fair enough pj

does dew have a history at the tribunal?

but 4 would be totally ridiculous - more than 1 would be harsh

roosforever said:
Total Cr#p. How can Dew get 2 games. if you want to watch soccer and their non-contact do it this is football a physical game (sorry was). At the moment give me the SANFL, still good skills but it is actually tuff unlike AFL.

thats total cr*p

i dont wanna see blokes swinging arms at players when the ball is not even nearby.. if you must revert to that s*** to intimidate the opposition that is soft football

if you go to the footy to watch that then you should be watching boxing mate

i go to see blokes attack the pill with vigour and put their body on the line..not take cheap shots

pjcrows said:
Wiggins was fined $3300 for making contact with an umpire. And it was the umpires' own fault! He bounced the ball back over his left shoulder - rather than straight up, as they're supposed to do - so when Wiggins moved towards the ball the umpire smashed into him. Absolute disgrace!

And Stuart Dew got an initial suspension of 4 games? What is goin on?!?!

That's a disgrace. The bloke clearly had eyes on the ball and there were about 20 players around the ball up. Andrian Anderson, you are ****head.

itsintheblood said:
That's a disgrace. The bloke clearly had eyes on the ball and there were about 20 players around the ball up. Andrian Anderson, you are ****head.

My sentimate exactly. If dew got 4, how many will that essendon player get for striking Carr?

lewiy said:
thats total cr*p

i dont wanna see blokes swinging arms at players when the ball is not even nearby.. if you must revert to that s*** to intimidate the opposition that is soft football

if you go to the footy to watch that then you should be watching boxing mate

i go to see blokes attack the pill with vigour and put their body on the line..not take cheap shots
You can no longer go flat out at the ball. The um[ired pick free kicks up for barely any contact. It takes much less courage to play now than in the past. There is no fear of being hit but more people are getting injured? Nothing wrong with a few good hits and a mele'. Not many get hurt, if any. sounds like you need to watch soccer. Have you ever played?

roosforever said:
You can no longer go flat out at the ball. The um[ired pick free kicks up for barely any contact. It takes much less courage to play now than in the past. There is no fear of being hit but more people are getting injured? Nothing wrong with a few good hits and a mele'. Not many get hurt, if any. sounds like you need to watch soccer. Have you ever played?

hey mate i agree and yes i have played since i was a nipper and still do

are you condoning cheap shots and king hits? because it sure sounds like it

just a few weeks back up here in qld a young 18 yr kid was punched in the head behind play and had to be induced into a coma...that is the s*** i am talking about

swinging arms behind play are unnecessary and so was dew's actions on saturday night

lewiy said:
hey mate i agree and yes i have played since i was a nipper and still do

are you condoning cheap shots and king hits? because it sure sounds like it

just a few weeks back up here in qld a young 18 yr kid was punched in the head behind play and had to be induced into a coma...that is the s*** i am talking about

swinging arms behind play are unnecessary and so was dew's actions on saturday night
Accidents happen it's a part of life. It seems in modern culture someone gets hurt and something gets banned. Get over stuff like this. I myself was severely injured and can no-longer play sport due to a dubious incident. In life we take risks. Without risks what is life are we all doomed to become robots. That is what football is becoming. Thats what I don't want to see. Stupid king hits is not what I want to see but gee wiz, we have gone so far overboard.

roosforever said:
Accidents happen it's a part of life. It seems in modern culture someone gets hurt and something gets banned. Get over stuff like this. I myself was severely injured and can no-longer play sport due to a dubious incident. In life we take risks. Without risks what is life are we all doomed to become robots. That is what football is becoming. Thats what I don't want to see. Stupid king hits is not what I want to see but gee wiz, we have gone so far overboard.

ok mate i understand what you are saying and for the most part i agree with you

and i prob did go overboard with the dew incident in isolation and FWIW dew would be unlucky to be suspended for that... but why do it? was there really a need for him to do it? personally i don't believe that type of action is a part of footy and perhaps you disagree

i do agree with your sentiments about risk taking and the current state of AFL footy (ie the 'robots') but there is a fine line when it comes to cheap shots in sport..and crossing that line can be dangerous so why do it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lewiy said:
ok mate i understand what you are saying and for the most part i agree with you

and i prob did go overboard with the dew incident in isolation and FWIW dew would be unlucky to be suspended for that... but why do it? was there really a need for him to do it? personally i don't believe that type of action is a part of footy and perhaps you disagree

i do agree with your sentiments about risk taking and the current state of AFL footy (ie the 'robots') but there is a fine line when it comes to cheap shots in sport..and crossing that line can be dangerous so why do it?
From the footage it wasn't intentional. Yes behind the play hits and king punches should not be tollerated.
Its a personal preferance thing, I like to see high marking and Scuffles between the teams. I really dislike short chipping and uncontensted footy even when the Hawks are winning.
I do have a choice so thats why I'm watching more local SANFL footy now.

roosforever said:
From the footage it wasn't intentional. Yes behind the play hits and king punches should not be tollerated.
Its a personal preferance thing, I like to see high marking and Scuffles between the teams. I really dislike short chipping and uncontensted footy even when the Hawks are winning.
I do have a choice so thats why I'm watching more local SANFL footy now.

i still don't think it was necessary;)

but

uncontested (and overcoached) footy is sh**e and i wanna see more hangers:D

i still watch the AFL because i love the game (and the tiges despite their game plan at times) and the local leagues in qld aren't of a great standard...compared to SANFL et al, but as you say the chipping, possession style is a blight on the game

You should remember the tribunal/match review panel has little to do with common sense anymore, it's set up for the mums and their little kiddies to win the junior participation war, if mum sees something too reckless in an AFL match she gets worried about little Jimmy getting cleaned up in his U/10's game.
Same with soccer, you gotta wonder why 2 months before the World Cup FIFA issues a directive to crack down on certain things in their 'showcase.'
So all the mummies out there can be reassured that loose tackles where people get hurt (even when they're inevitable sometimes) are going to be cracked down on and little Jimmy won't get hurt when he plays.

Corrosion said:
Wiggins was fined for that?!

Unbelievable.
possibly the most ridiculous ruling in the past decade. the poor kid had eyes for the ball for fcuk sake and the umpy fell into him. you would rather cop a week then be fined that much for something so trivial.

Considering Wiggo is not the highest paid player going around, $3000 for doing bugger all wrong is a fair whack. The AFL are corrupt money grubbing pricks. Won't allow a 3% pay rise despite record TV rights money and then fine a player 3% of his wage in an instant for contacting an umpire when the umpires error caused it.

The play goes on, Wiggo stops and waits for the umpire while an opposition player clears the ball. WTF was he supposed to do.

Farcical stuff AFL. You're a joke.

pjcrows said:
The equivalent of about $6000 gross, probably the whole match payment for Wiggins. Is this further proof that umpires should be throwing the ball up around the ground? This ridiculous penalty comes from the same game in which an umpire holds the game up to tell Kade Simpson which ball he is allowed to use for a kick out. I know umpires are a necessary part of the game, but they are not the people that pull the crowds through the gates. They really need to get over themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Simon Wiggins - unluckiest player in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back