News Simpson sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

“Senior players” wanted him gone.

Outside of McGovern, which player has really earned the right to want that? Darling? Gaff? Duggan is the most painful player in the competition with his inability to make quick & decisive decisions. Yeo has spent the best part of 3 years sidelined.

Amusing. Tail wagging the dog.

But clearly once you lose the players you can’t remain. How do you lead what will be a slow rebuild when you don’t have the support of the players. The media vultures were circling all last week & you knew something was inevitable.
Did the coach earn the right to stay?

---------

Look at Simpson's face as soon as Pyke mentions him coaching one more game - even got an eye roll. If you're going to patronize him do it off behind closed doors, moron.

Simpson was furious at that comment.

Simpson has no right to be angry he's been paid heaps to do a terrible job for 2-3 years

---------

Look at Simpson's face as soon as Pyke mentions him coaching one more game - even got an eye roll. If you're going to patronize him do it off behind closed doors, moron.

Simpson was furious at that comment.

Discussed with Pyke on SEN - he reckons Simo is ‘considering the offer’.

It's only for WCE and Freo because the AFL doesn't own their licenses, the WAFC does.
Have raised numerous times on this board. Cant have a soft cap and then have different rules for different teams but majority don't care because it doesn't affect their team

Eagles should have kept Simpson and let him endure the pain until there was some light at the end of the tunnel.

Given their list profile, the Eagles will almost certainly be worse in 2025 and 2026 than today.

Good luck to Dean Cox, or maybe Ash Hansen, you'll need it. Worst job in the business.

Would need to be 5+ years on massive money to get me out of Sydney/Carlton.

Disagree. Can’t get any worse than what West Coast are currently.

I think the state of their list profile is overstated. What’s condemned Simpson is the efforts on game day, and continued selection of senior players that aren’t performing.

West Coast are one of the biggest clubs in the league and rarely have a senior coaching role available. I doubt they’ll have trouble luring applicants.

Simmo looked pretty shattered - he's had a pretty tough gig over there the last few years.
Reminded me a little of myself earlier in the year after a massive amount of job burnout/stress.
He looks like the job has really aged him last few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To my eyes, Simpson has been almost begging for the sack since Covid and looks like he still can't believe it's taken this long. Like in The Producers, for every musical about Hitler he put on the field, the board would still make money and mention 2018.

Good luck to Dean Cox, or maybe Ash Hansen, you'll need it. Worst job in the business.

Coaching one of the most successful and financially powerful teams in the AFL who still get 50000 to Optus despite being putrid for 3 years - for probably a million plus a year would be a drag.

Bit of a nightmare scenario for WC. Surely would have been better keeping Simpson until the end of the season, they can effectively tank and get another high pick.
They could end up with an interim coach who wants the job, gets old blokes playing a bit, they win some games and end up effectively worse off?
They hardly need to tank. No way they can finish better than 16th no matter how hard they try, and by all accounts this year's draft group are so even that there will be different opinions on the ranking of first 3 players picked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back