News Simpson sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

Will get geelong job after Scott takes up Tasmanian job.
Nup..I have it on good word that Richo will be appointed Devils coach.

Because every new interstate club in its debut year gets a state legend who’s completely inappropriate for the job.

Except for Giants who chose a washed up old league legend.

Genuinely good coach given absolutely nothing to work with in terms of that dogshit Eagles playing list.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/tp-west-coast-eagles

Looking at the list of players 25's and under its grim reading indeed. Allen (and he's somehow 25 already) and Reid the only standouts.

And Allen and Reid are forwards who get to spend most of their time watching the ball go through the goals at the other end of the ground. In a better side, they'd both be twice the already gun players they both are.

Another top 2 pick this year, then next year and then Tassie come in and the drafts are ****ed again.

With Freo looking the goods as the WA destination club now, other than more $$$ to lure WA players back home, that's not an option either.

For mine they basically need to trade anyone of value 25 and over (including Allen for the right price) for picks. Load up on as many kids as they can get over the next two years and do a complete reset.

Looking at the list of players 25's and under its grim reading indeed. Allen (and he's somehow 25 already) and Reid the only standouts.

And Allen and Reid are forwards who get to spend most of their time watching the ball go through the goals at the other end of the ground. In a better side, they'd both be twice the already gun players they both are.

Another top 2 pick this year, then next year and then Tassie come in and the drafts are ****ed again.

With Freo looking the goods as the WA destination club now, other than more $$$ to lure WA players back home, that's not an option either.

For mine they basically need to trade anyone of value 25 and over (including Allen for the right price) for picks. Load up on as many kids as they can get over the next two years and do a complete reset.
No way in hell they should trade Allen.

Good, genuine tall forwards are the rarest commodity in footy…at all levels.

Saints fans are happy though.

It’s like divorced people who reunite later and then marry again for the second time.

Better the devil you know and all that..
Yep, a coaching record including as a Premiership asst and a drawn GF means ZERO - the game has changed, they’re using hover pads and all have 8 arms and legs now.

Couldn’t possibly be an average list that needs 3 years at the trade table.

Of course his ceiling was much higher, but likewise, none of those guys presided over 3 years of absolutely horrific shit, some of the worst footy we’ve seen in the AFL history, players completely out of shape and not trying.

WC have not even been the most basic of AFL standard for a very long time.

Coaches who do that are spared the blushes somewhat as they get sacked quickly and it can be put down to a bad season, etc.

Not this… it will leave a massive stain on him. It’s unfortunate, he seems like a decent bloke and had a good record prior to that.

But there was a long period where it almost seemed like he was trying to get sacked, or at least just standing around, doing absolutely nothing, waiting for it to happen.

A bunch of those players who were out of shape and overweight were 150+ game vets with flags to their name. In no way in modern footy is a senior coach in charge of off-season maintenance of senior players, they are expected to do the work. If they come back fat in December good luck catching up in elite sport. Luke Shueys comments were telling

Was just thinking how differently we treat sporting team coaches, to CEO’s of companies.

With a CEO who can see the writing on the wall (run out of ideas, enthusiasm waning, run in with the Board etc), they can exit the scene immediately with a nice payout in hand. Next day another person steps up into their position, and the business continues. The departing persons name is pretty well forgotten, 2 weeks down the track.

With sporting coaches, they may feel similar to the CEO in the above example, but finds it hard to step down. They can be seen to be letting the team down, and “why start the season, if you had no intention of finishing it”. I reckon Simpson was caught in this dilemma.

On his sacking. Sure he has too take alot of the blame for the poor performance over the last couple of years due to the “buck stops here” rule, there are others who should be spotlighted. The recruiters, fitness guru’s, Board, selection panel, WAFL decision (topic on its own), off field conduct etc, but to me it seems that the people who should have a massive spotlight on them are the players.

Been there, seen it before, “play lethargically, but still expect top payment”.
The chap playing his 100th game this week is a prime example, needs a rocket.

No way in hell they should trade Allen.

Good, genuine tall forwards are the rarest commodity in footy…at all levels.

Yeah trading Allen is the dumbest thing I’ve ever read.

They’ve got what very few bottom sides have ever had - 2 genuine key forward weapons. They’ve essentially locked & loaded their forward line with Allen & Waterman, now they just have to get to work with mids. Reid is a start. Ginbey, Hewett & Chesser are wait & sees but haven’t had a great run at it really.
Hough is a star small defender already but will need help when McGovern/Barrass go/wind down.

Barrass would be the one I would trade for picks anyway. Older than Allen, great intercept marker but has bags kicked on him because of that too. A solid first rounder for him to put into the midfield and put some eggs into the Harry Edwards basket. They have to at some time.

The coach can’t polish a turd, terrible list management and no coach will take this mob anywhere. Culture up the shit and no leaders.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Because every new interstate club in its debut year gets a state legend who’s completely inappropriate for the job.

Scott was offered keys to the safe for brizzy job next year.
I think afl earmarked him for tassie.

Fagan for Devils?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bunch of those players who were out of shape and overweight were 150+ game vets with flags to their name. In no way in modern footy is a senior coach in charge of off-season maintenance of senior players, they are expected to do the work. If they come back fat in December good luck catching up in elite sport. Luke Shueys comments were telling

The public were regularly questioning the Eagles fitness regime at the start of the 2022 season. Yeo & NicNat returned to the club looking like budding sumo wrestlers. The club could see no problem, and I reckon if Simpson had said anything, the Board would overrule. Total lack of professionalism by those 2 players, but hey no one will tell me off !!!!!.

I go back 4 years (2020), the Hub in Queensland. This is where the rot became visible. Appeared to be a lot of “me, me, me” from players, rather than bending their backs and leading the team to resolve issues.

Ah yes that famous Queensland legend Guy McKenna.

Yeah trading Allen is the dumbest thing I’ve ever read.

They’ve got what very few bottom sides have ever had - 2 genuine key forward weapons. They’ve essentially locked & loaded their forward line with Allen & Waterman, now they just have to get to work with mids. Reid is a start. Ginbey, Hewett & Chesser are wait & sees but haven’t had a great run at it really.
Hough is a star small defender already but will need help when McGovern/Barrass go/wind down.

Barrass would be the one I would trade for picks anyway. Older than Allen, great intercept marker but has bags kicked on him because of that too. A solid first rounder for him to put into the midfield and put some eggs into the Harry Edwards basket. They have to at some time.
I wouldn't trade Allen as he's likely a future captain, but does Waterman have a chance of being around for their next premiership? If some team offered a high pick for him, I'd be tempted to take it if I were the Eagles.

Gotta feel for the players, imagine hearing in the news that you've had to deal with three years on the bottom of the ladder because the management of the club was so crap that they couldn't afford to fire the coach. Three years is a quarter of the lifetime of a good player, and more for a lesser player. Wasted years.

Although at least the money is some sort of excuse, my club has nothing like that.

Good luck to Simmo, Premiership coach who will get another go if he wants it.
Voss did not do half the things he did in his first go and seems to be alot better second time around.
Simpson has the last 3 years on his resume as well all he knew was success with Hawthorn and Eagles and now he knows the lows as well, in my opinion makes him an even safer bet.

So they’re not motivated and don’t care.

Sounds like a big issue. Probably need a coach to motivate them.

Face it, the coach is responsible for performance. Always has been, always will be.

Plenty of clubs have older lists. They don’t perform like West Coast has.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back