News Simpson sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

“I feel like I’m retiring all over again,” Simpson added with a wry smile.

“The Disney Plus might get the flick kids, money’s going to dry up a little bit. Take my Visa card off your phone.”

I know it was a throwaway comment in a press conference on what was a stressful day for him, but come on Adam. You're probably walking away with a million bucks from the Eagles.

Some of us are genuinely tightening the financial belt in these troubled times. I doubt we'll see him down at ALDI.

Cox would be stupid to take this role...Horse wins the flag and hand over the keys or go back home to a tip with that WA media?
With only picks 3,23 & 59, this new regime needs to be ruthless but not like a North style cull.
Some really good WA talent in this year's draft if they want to continue with that policy but that draft hand won't get much.

Chris Newman, Troy Chaplin and Daniel Giansiracusa would make great rebuild coaches..got 3 years to get top end talent before Tassie kicks in.

No way in hell they should trade Allen.

Good, genuine tall forwards are the rarest commodity in footy…at all levels.

He's a gun. With decent delivery into F50 and more inside 50's he'd be a Coleman winner.

He's also 26 next year at the start of the season, when something like 7 of the top 10 of WCE's BnF from last year will no longer be on the list.

The Eagles are going nowhere over the next 5 or so years. Even the most passionate of Eagles fans will probably agree here.

If trading him got me 2 x extra 1st rounders (and it would, he's a gun) I'd trade him.

In 2015 when we bottomed out (and were awarded pick 1) we traded out Lachie Henderson and Troy Menzel (and a few others). We flipped a future 1st from Geelong we got in the Henderson trade for Pick 8 (GWS) and swapped out Picks 20 (ours) and 21 (Menzel) with the Bulldogs for Pick 11.

We drafted Weitering with 1, McKay with 8 and Curnow with 11.

I honestly dont see many genuinely good players 25 and under on the WCE list at present, and there is more pain to come with senior stalwarts departing this year and next.

It looks grim.

The coach can’t polish a turd, terrible list management and no coach will take this mob anywhere. Culture up the shit and no leaders.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Harsh.

They’re a victim of circumstances and too varied to mention.

They are a super professional club with vast resources and will bounce back.

Let’s enjoy their downfall for a few years.

But eventually..they will be back..

Last edited:
I know it was a throwaway comment in a press conference on what was a stressful day for him, but come on Adam. You're probably walking away with a million bucks from the Eagles.

Some of us are genuinely tightening the financial belt in these troubled times. I doubt we'll see him down at ALDI.
Don’t diss rich people in sports.

It’ll only make you even more jaded about the world.

Focus more on the useless politicians that do f-all and get paid foot loads.

He's a gun. With decent delivery into F50 and more inside 50's he'd be a Coleman winner.

He's also 26 next year at the start of the season, when something like 7 of the top 10 of WCE's BnF from last year will no longer be on the list.

The Eagles are going nowhere over the next 5 or so years. Even the most passionate of Eagles fans will probably agree here.

If trading him got me 2 x extra 1st rounders (and it would, he's a gun) I'd trade him.

In 2015 when we bottomed out (and were awarded pick 1) we traded out Lachie Henderson and Troy Menzel (and a few others). We flipped a future 1st from Geelong we got in the Henderson trade for Pick 8 (GWS) and swapped out Picks 20 (ours) and 21 (Menzel) with the Bulldogs for Pick 11.

We drafted Weitering with 1, McKay with 8 and Curnow with 11.

I honestly dont see many genuinely good players 25 and under on the WCE list at present, and there is more pain to come with senior stalwarts departing this year and next.

It looks grim.
26 is prime age.

If they’re gunna Re build at least have someone to kick it to.

Darling is toast. Ryan is small.

You can’t put all your eggs in in a Waterman basket. He’s no Fraser.G

I’d keep him…as long as he’s committed and wants to endure the long and winding road of recovery within his club.

They’ve got what very few bottom sides have ever had - 2 genuine key forward weapons.

Currently aged 25 and 26.

They’ve essentially locked & loaded their forward line with Allen & Waterman, now they just have to get to work with mids.

Considering their mids at present are Kelly, Gaff, Yeo, Hunt, Sheed etc who are all 30+ next year, 'getting 4-5 good mids and giving them a few years development' is a hell of a lot of work to do in the next 4-5 or so years that Allen and Waterman are in their primes.

Especially in light of the Tassie team coming in in 2 years and the drafts being thoroughly compromised.

Wait a minute

the same soft as , phone it in , surrender monkey senior players who he has backed to the hilt while they kicked back and got sloppy after the flag are now the ones who have turned on him and knifed him

Hahahahahahahahaha

Oh wow

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gotta feel for the players, imagine hearing in the news that you've had to deal with three years on the bottom of the ladder because the management of the club was so crap that they couldn't afford to fire the coach. Three years is a quarter of the lifetime of a good player, and more for a lesser player. Wasted years.

Although at least the money is some sort of excuse, my club has nothing like that.

No sympathy for the players, they are a major part of the problem.

Leadership in the team ?. I believe that Duggan & Allan are the co-captains, are they leading.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same amount of wins as last year wasn't good enough with a limited injury list. Yes we have list problems. We also have a development issue with our reserves. We will have a new coach, new ceo, new list manager, new strength and conditioning, club doctor and physio. Only the assistant coaches are left in the key areas of the football department since the 2021 debacle began. We will be back. Hopefully Simmo is back in the AFL system soon enough.

2 years ago it would've cost the club in excess of $6-$8 million.
I call bullshit on that claim. It was fed to the media to try and take the heat off. Negotiate the sacking with Simmo and you only blow the cap by what you pay the new coach and tax, not 6-8m worth.

Board should be sacked too on who was there when they extended him.

I call bullshit on that claim. It was fed to the media to try and take the heat off. Negotiate the sacking with Simmo and you only blow the cap by what you pay the new coach and tax, not 6-8m worth.

Board should be sacked too on who was there when they extended him.
Well, it's not bullshit because the AFL introduced rules for clubs where they only had to pay out 6 months of their remaining contract.

This didn't affect WCE or Freo, because the club's licences aren't owned by the AFL.

Also, that would've triggered the soft cap tax, which is why it would've cost so much.

There was enough reporting on this just last year.

Is there any truth to the video of Simpson saying to Reid on the way into the press conference "you had your say"
I listened to it closely and it's definitely "you have to stay" weird fro him to say anyway

Remove this Banner Ad

Back