Skill revivial : Bring back the torp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wokko

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2007
Ballarat, VIC
AFL Club
Collingwood
The answer to the Terry Wallace superflood that is "Saints Footy" seems to be to score from outside the arc. Back in the 80s and 90s I remember a whole lot of players who could roost a torp from 60m+ out. I don't think i've seen a torperdo punt in years. Why aren't they used anymore and do you think they would be an answer to overly defensive forward 50 play?

Jimmy Bartel pulls out the barrel on a rainyday. 65 meters off two steps, but good luck if you want to mark one.

I just think that these days where turnovers are deadly, shanking one off the side of the boot could gt you on the phone to an angry coach faster than you could say "spiral torpedo".

They on average don't go further then a decent running drop punt.
Not that these players are kicking them well.
Stevens slowest prick in the game spots up opponents with 30 meter passes. Glad to see you back....

i think a lot of players are stuggling to hit an accurate drop punt atm, let alone an accurate torp

Someone once told me that the balls are designed differently than those from 20 years ago. The balls they use today are not as easy to torp.
I'm open to correction to this one.

Torpedoes are inaccurate??? Can't you guys kick?

Great call though. Don't bring in more stupid rules to counter the flood, teach the players/athletes how to actually kick a footy! :thumbsu:

[YOUTUBE]Sj5wGUS7SGw[/YOUTUBE]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why the torp? Ablett Snr could kick 60+ metres off either foot.

A lot of players in his day were proficient on both sides but I can't think of anyone else that could get that sort of distance on their non preferred.

Why the torp? Ablett Snr could kick 60+ metres off either foot.

A lot of players in his day were proficient on both sides but I can't think of anyone else that could get that sort of distance on their non preferred.

I recall Aka in his Brisbane days kicking quite a few from 60m out on his left.

Aussie Jones also used to kick 50-55m equally well on both feet.

Great call though. Don't bring in more stupid rules to counter the flood, teach the players/athletes how to actually kick a footy! :thumbsu:

This is pretty much what I mean. I'd hate some kneejerk 'offside' type rule or limits to the interchange. It's ugly football, true, but the answer to the flood was always kick over the top of it. I remember the Pies used to have about 5 forwards/midfielders who could get the ball outside the 50 and kick a goal. Where have all these players gone? Everytime I see a mark at the 50 now the commentators say "that's just beyond his range", like wtf, the 50 used to be par, if they couldn't kick it from a mark on 50 they were shit.

The torp is a skill that gives an extra 5-10m to a kick, if it's a tad inaccurate it'll be a point or OOF, better than the current trend of a turnover 30m out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Skill revivial : Bring back the torp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back