Skipworth -> Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

My cousin is 25 and plays a bit of footy. Why don't you have a look at him too?

What I said was, is there ANY upside to Skipworth at all? Already proven he is not good enough at the level, what makes you say he is now?

Fair enough getting players in that age group, but it's another thing if they can play or not.

This is a bit silly, Skipworth IS good enough. He should of found a new home instead of being delisted by Adelaide. At the time Adelaide had a number of consistent solid midfielders, too many in fact. More senior players were chosen to stay at the time of the 2006 super draft over Skipworth. Now Skipworth will be a good depth player, and do a good job if played in the right way.

Do you understand list management, where you need to balance a team not just by types of players but age and experience as well? Well that is what Essendon need to do, and a 25 year old is just right.

Oh and Skipworth is a better footy player than your cousin, he is in fact a very good footy player, he is just a bit short. If he was taller he would be a very good AFL player.

My cousin is 25 and plays a bit of footy. Why don't you have a look at him too?

What I said was, is there ANY upside to Skipworth at all? Already proven he is not good enough at the level, what makes you say he is now?

Fair enough getting players in that age group, but it's another thing if they can play or not.

I don't know if your cousin is a shit bloke or anything, but he sure hasn't been busting his gut at Bendigo and providing invaluable mentorship to our youngsters.

A club is more than a group of athletes, and a team is more than 18 stars, or 18 kids. You need a blend of maturity, experience, and hopefully integrity & leadership as well. Skipworth provides that in spades. He may never be a champion, but he's decent enough; I've seen him play well.

Your cousin just runs round the park; and a team of kids won't learn jack without mentors

You cannot see the worth in Skipworth who has played a vital role in mentoring young players at the club.

But you think it would be a good idea to recruit Nathan Carroll who you admit is "a total tool". Well apart from one season (was it 2006 or 2007?) the bloke has been a complete and utter spud at AFL level.

I would prefer Hurley. Pears or Daniher playing fullback if Fletch got injured instead of that SPUD!!

Oh by the way, in case you have notice we have well and truly implemented a no ******** policy at the club, so there is no way in hell we will be picking up Carroll!!

I admit he is a total idiot!!!!!!!!

If we have to injuries to a few playing key defence (fletch/ryder) we will finish last, make no mistake about it!

You draft a mature age player to fill a gaping hole. That is ours, key defence.

Throw hurley into the mix for the majority of the year, you could ruin him as a player.

I can completely understand not wanting Carroll at essendon, but he is the TYPE of player we need if drafting someone of mature age.

I would prefer a young kid with talent, theirs a few considering 3 AA didnt get drafted in National draft.

Sheahan
Rockliff
T.Hill
and the guy i want (Allwright) = gun/bartel like
C.pearce
Deboer
Cockie

Pearce and Deboer would both be okay as they are ready made. T.Hill could plas that added pressure on Bellchambers and Laycock for them to get better and we need more depth with our rucks so their is plenty their for us. (HILL CANNOT BE ROOKIE OR PRES SEASON PICKED)

I admit he is a total idiot!!!!!!!!

If we have to injuries to a few playing key defence (fletch/ryder) we will finish last, make no mistake about it!

You draft a mature age player to fill a gaping hole. That is ours, key defence.

Throw hurley into the mix for the majority of the year, you could ruin him as a player.
I can completely understand not wanting Carroll at essendon, but he is the TYPE of player we need if drafting someone of mature age.

How could playing Hurley with Essendon next season ruin him as a player. What is going to fo next season sit in the grand stand and watch or put a helmet and shoulder pads on him and have him play in the VFL so he has got less chance of being injuried? Physically he is big enough and is only 3 months younger than Pears who will probably play a majority of the season

Can you please provide a run down of his strengths and weaknesses?
did you read the thread?

Weaknesses
-slow
-short
-short kicking range
-Puts teammates under pressure

strengths
-gets the ball
-mature body, in his prime

cmndstab's comment that he plays like a tall with and lacks the qualiies you would expect of a small like speed, was a good one.

How could playing Hurley with Essendon next season ruin him as a player. What is going to fo next season sit in the grand stand and watch or put a helmet and shoulder pads on him and have him play in the VFL so he has got less chance of being injuried? Physically he is big enough and is only 3 months younger than Pears who will probably play a majority of the season

I can see Hurley playing a fair few games next year. Can I see him holding down full back all year definitely not. Would not be good for his development in the slightest. Pears - I think he has a huge future and has a heap of talent....... but he would want to have improved light years over the off season if you think he will hold down chb for us all year.

I hate to sound like a Carlton supporter but our emerging key position players are a year or two off.

Clarkson ruined Zac Dawsons career before it got off the ground!

You can't be serious

Bollocks. Stants is in our top three midfielders by a mile, and is the one that opposition coaches tag first - why is that?

Our midfield would be far better served by having him playing on a wing. Skipworth has the ability to play like a general at stoppages and has very good footy brain. How many times do guys like Watson win the ball, look for a handball and there is no-one there. Not once have I mentioned who is a better player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bollocks. Stants is in our top three midfielders by a mile, and is the one that opposition coaches tag first - why is that?
Maybe this is why the OP thinks you need more depth.
Is it Stanton, Watson & McVeigh?

Because if that's your top 3 then you definitely need to add some depth.

*waits for the cry of Houli, Dempsey & whatever 19 year old who has played 6 games to be mentioned*

Stanton (is our number 1)
Mcveigh (is number 1 when up and going but usually 2)
Prismall (will be our 3rd best mid or 4th)
Lovett (is underrated and opens games up as an outside winger, 3rd or 4th best mid)

Than we have the real in and under type players
Watson (wins heaps of clearances and always one of these on the field is needed)
Lonergan (showed he is the back up for Watson and played some really good games in 08)
A.Welsh (showed that he is in the top 3 taggers in the comp and 1 is always needed on the field)

Than we have Youngsters coming on as you sought of mentioned
Houli - will be a gun
Myers - showed his worth on ball this season

Than we have the small forwards that have instant impacts in the middle
Alwyn Davey - showed massive impacts in 08 when playing and the dons played well when he did
Jetta
Monfries - can also tag

We dont have any superstars out their but we finally do have some great depth. Hopefully a Myers, Stanton, Prismall can become those elite mids for us in the future.

You guys will be taking Chris Johnson. There's a chance Nahas will be our first rookie selection if he hasn't been picked up already.

i have a sneaking suspicion that nahas is carltons back up plan if the bombers or even dees pinch Johnson. if he was to slip to the rookie draft do you think that the bombers would take him? you guys seem to have enough small forwards in davey, monfries, jetta, houli, lovett etc although i know many of those guys spend time in the middle too.

did you read the thread?

Weaknesses
-slow
-short
-short kicking range
-Puts teammates under pressure

strengths
-gets the ball
-mature body, in his prime

cmndstab's comment that he plays like a tall with and lacks the qualiies you would expect of a small like speed, was a good one.

Longy would know this guys strengths and weaknesses as well as anybody. You should note that he made a point of specifically asking one poster this question.

I can see Hurley playing a fair few games next year. Can I see him holding down full back all year definitely not. Would not be good for his development in the slightest. Pears - I think he has a huge future and has a heap of talent....... but he would want to have improved light years over the off season if you think he will hold down chb for us all year.

I hate to sound like a Carlton supporter but our emerging key position players are a year or two off.

Clarkson ruined Zac Dawsons career before it got off the ground!

The only time I can see Hurley getting a game next year if there is a injury to either Flecther or Ryder.

Zac Dawson was a 194 cm ruckman when drafted to Hawthorn. Doubt he would have ever played Full Back in his carear. He was playing in a shocking side and would have giving away the best part of 20 kgs to Rocca.
I think lack of talent and being undersized as a ruckman is what ruined Dawsons career rather than Clarkson

The only time I can see Hurley getting a game next year if there is a injury to either Flecther or Ryder.

Zac Dawson was a 194 cm ruckman when drafted to Hawthorn. Doubt he would have ever played Full Back in his carear. He was playing in a shocking side and would have giving away the best part of 20 kgs to Rocca.
I think lack of talent and being undersized as a ruckman is what ruined Dawsons career rather than Clarkson

If Hurley is fit next season he will play senior football. This is a given.

Why do Essendon supporters get so touchy when someone says their midfield needs a bit of work?

It is not the worst midfield. Has some really honest players in there. But no stars, and im not entirely convinced about the depth either. It is going to be very reliant on youngstars...2 guys coming off a serious knee injures...some inconsistent indigenous players and a few other injury prone guys.

This is my outsiders view of the club...and fwiw i have a pretty good knowledge of the Dons.

Lets go through it

McVeigh, Stanton, Watson and Welsh is solid. Lacks a genuine star player but it is very solid and will be a solid clearance winning division. Welsh will most likely stick to tagging and try to get pretty attacking on his opponent as he did against Pendlebury last year.

The problem here is that Stanton is an outsider who is not yet capable of dealing with a tag. If he were the 3rd midfielder he would be damaging, but at the moment has to deal with a tag.

Watson has his obvious disposal issues and speed is a minor worry.

Then there are the guys coming through. Houli, Lonergan and Reimers. All very promising starts to their careers. Im not sure if one of these 3 will become A graders but.

Then you have the big hope in Myers. Had a much better first year than many give him credit for. This guy will be a star. Have to give him another 2 years minimum but.

Then you have PRismall and Davey coming back from serious knee injuries. Cant' expect either to hit top form in 09, although Davey should add the pace that is lacking at the moment.

Jetta and Dempsey have lightning pace. Both are injury prone. Dempsey in particular cannot string any games together. His pre-season in 07-08 was electrifying but he broke down instantly at AFL level. Both Jetta and Dempsey have to get on top of their soft tissue problems before they can be really emerge.

So there are many names there, but there is obviously something seriously lacking. Skipworth is not the answer...but i reckon he may be best available, he'll go in and should be pretty honest. He will bolster the depth and is only 25.

Point is, don't get so touchy about the midfield. Anyone who knows a thing or 2 about footy will say that it is a horrible midfield. But then you have to be deluded if you think that lineup is your next premiership winning midfield. Perhaps if Myers and Prismall become A graders.

Why do Essendon supporters get so touchy when someone says their midfield needs a bit of work?

It is not the worst midfield. Has some really honest players in there. But no stars, and im not entirely convinced about the depth either. It is going to be very reliant on youngstars...2 guys coming off a serious knee injures...some inconsistent indigenous players and a few other injury prone guys.

This is my outsiders view of the club...and fwiw i have a pretty good knowledge of the Dons.

Lets go through it

McVeigh, Stanton, Watson and Welsh is solid. Lacks a genuine star player but it is very solid and will be a solid clearance winning division. Welsh will most likely stick to tagging and try to get pretty attacking on his opponent as he did against Pendlebury last year.

The problem here is that Stanton is an outsider who is not yet capable of dealing with a tag. If he were the 3rd midfielder he would be damaging, but at the moment has to deal with a tag.

Watson has his obvious disposal issues and speed is a minor worry.

Then there are the guys coming through. Houli, Lonergan and Reimers. All very promising starts to their careers. Im not sure if one of these 3 will become A graders but.

Then you have the big hope in Myers. Had a much better first year than many give him credit for. This guy will be a star. Have to give him another 2 years minimum but.

Then you have PRismall and Davey coming back from serious knee injuries. Cant' expect either to hit top form in 09, although Davey should add the pace that is lacking at the moment.

Jetta and Dempsey have lightning pace. Both are injury prone. Dempsey in particular cannot string any games together. His pre-season in 07-08 was electrifying but he broke down instantly at AFL level. Both Jetta and Dempsey have to get on top of their soft tissue problems before they can be really emerge.

So there are many names there, but there is obviously something seriously lacking. Skipworth is not the answer...but i reckon he may be best available, he'll go in and should be pretty honest. He will bolster the depth and is only 25.

Point is, don't get so touchy about the midfield. Anyone who knows a thing or 2 about footy will say that it is a horrible midfield. But then you have to be deluded if you think that lineup is your next premiership winning midfield. Perhaps if Myers and Prismall become A graders.

i agree with most of your points, a few i dont agree with, the whole stanton does not know how to cope with a tag is wrong, he averaged what 22 or 23 touches this year in his first year coping with a tag i would say thats fair output.

the main point i disagree with you about though is that every premiership side needs stars in their midfeild. essendon 2000? who were the stars in the midfeild then? sides dont need stars in the midfeild to win, our 2000 side was so dominant mostly because of our spine more then anything else and i see knights trying to employ the same strategy.

however when talking about our future gun midfeilders from what i have seen 3 players i think could really step up and be A grade midfeilders.

first is myers obviously he has an elite kick, very good speed and can win his own ball as well, he is an all round package no real faults to his game at all except for strength at the momment but that will be developed.

second is houli, he already has near elite endurance, very good disposal, could not have a better attitude towards football. getting used to the game plan and experience will make him a lot better.

third is lonergan, most people dont realise lonergan because he doesnt rack up massive posession tallies but imo he is a lot like ablett. very very strong through the hips which makes him very hard to tackle has a very good burst of speed off the mark and loves to run forward and kick goals. if i had to choose a player in our side that would become an A grade midfeilder i would probably go with lonergan.

however i think we have the recruiting strategy right atm. that is developing KP stocks first in ryder hurley pears neagle gumbelton. then going the midfeilders. i think the next few years will be largely focused on midfeilders and by the time our KP stocks are in their prime so will our midfeilders which would ideally push us up to be premiership contenders.

to sum up i think we have a few players in our side that have POTENTIAL to be A grade midfeilders whether they get there is yet to be seen but i think with those players and another few drafted over the next few years that we will have that good midfeild to go with our spine

Poor old Ricky Dyson gets no love.:)

A player who is a little more mature, is hard at it but burns the ball a little bit is Greg Bently. If Essendon were to draft a player he might not be too bad. I thought he did not do too bad but he asked to be traded at the end of the year and did not get picked up. I believe he is training with a club in Melbourne. Has anybody seen anything of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Skipworth -> Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back