Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
SMply The Best! - 350 GAMES OF SM

1723603955923.png

Today we raise a glass to someone fast becoming a true legend of the SFA.

SM 's SFA journey is one that spans 21 seasons, 4 clubs, and 349 league appearances. His appearance this game will make him just the 50th player in SFA history to cross the 350 game milestone. During that time, he’s racked up over 5300 dispsoals (31st of all time), 834 tackles (16th of all time) and kicked 263 goals to go along with it.

Let’s go on a journey back in time to where it all began for SM: The Gumbies (later the Wolves, then Gumbies again. And people give the Hawks s*** about having an identity crisis…)

Tinfoil Hat GIF by The Tick

SM joined the SFA in S17, initially (somehow) struggling to break into the Gumbies side, only making 7 appearances in his first season. SM would go on to become a mainstay of the Gumbies, eventually becoming their captain. Then, at the conclusion of S21, he rocked the SFA by announcing a shock switch to the Sin City Swamprats.

Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

SM made it clear his intention with the Swamprats was to become the greatest full forward the SFA had ever seen. He backed this up with an excellent performance in the inaugural SFA Provincial Championship, taking home the coveted Silver Slipper.

1723604205264.png
Pictured: SM (left) during the SFA Provincial Cup

Unfortunately, his stint at the Rats did not go according to plan, lasting only 9 games and kicking 7 goals. He would return to the Wolves for the remainder of S22. He would go on to play a further 4 seasons with the Wolves/Gumbies, before seeing the light and joining the mighty East Side Hawks. All in all, SM played 154 games and booted 152 goals during his time in Gumbyland.

He established himself as a dominant on baller during his time at the Gumbies, and he continued to go from strength-to-strength at the Hawks/Phoenix. SM would spend 5 seasons as a Hawk/Phoenix before crossing over to the Wonders for 4 seasons. SM has since returned to the Hawks for S38 and has resumed normal programming, racking up touches in a star studded midfield.

But… that’s enough Qooty talk. What’s he like as a bloke?

Well, for starters, he’s a Hull City supporter, which is a big plus in my books. I have infinite respect for those who stick fat with their football teams through the lower divisions. He also predicted Arsenal to beat Manchester City to their first EPL Title in 20 years, so that’s another HUGE tick from me.
  1. Arsenal
  2. Man City

I’ve been lucky enough to take the field with SM 85 times during his 2 stints at the Hawks, and his dry, blunt humour always gets a chuckle out of me.

That's still going? Next you'll tell me the song contest is still a thing.

ClarkeM is only allowed up after dark on special occasions.

He’s bold, he’s brash. He’s SM. And we love him

Cheers to you SM, here’s to the next 350!

Nathan Lane Yes GIF by HBO

I joined gumbies midseason which is why I only made 7 appearances!

Thanks for this though, I wondered the other day where I was for games played.

And you've successfully dodged being my team mate for all of them!

I must be the only one of the old BC you never played with.

In a way this is my 350th.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Media SMply The Best! - 350 GAMES OF SM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back