Certified Legendary Thread Sneaking in to the Grand Final............

Remove this Banner Ad

Forgot to post this last Thursday when a mate sent me the link to this Footy Almanac story.

In 1997 GF, the authors best mate from school days, didn't have a ticket and was determined to make it 20 GF's in a row. The last couple of paragraphs explain how with less than half an hour to go, he gets an idea to get in before the first bounce.

I reckon someone in the previous 130 pages has done the same thing.

"But then while gazing at a Record boy, he gets an idea. A brilliant idea. He approaches the Record boy and inquires if the boy is allowed to enter the ground. The Record boy nods affirmatively. Clint makes an offer. The Record Boy accepts. After he hands fifty bucks to the Record boy, Clint dons the kid’s lime smock and enters the ground masquerading as a mature-age Record boy. Once inside the ground he then enters a toiletry cubicle, takes off the smock and stuffs it into his pocket. He then gets a pass out, finds the Record boy, who is waiting outside the ground at a prearranged place, and hands back the smock him. Clint then re-enters the ground with his pass out. The streak continues."

Yep - bribing the Record seller has been brought up several times :)

This is still the best example I have yet come across:

One year, in the 1990s, a mate of mine was but a wee lad and his family’s team was playing in the GF that year.

His father was a senior officer of Victoria Police, who was rostered to work in the ‘Police Control Centre’ at the MCG that day. For those not aware of it, the PCC is located on the wing in the Olympic Stand amongst the corporate boxes and has a perfect view of the arena.

Anyway, Dad brings Junior into Yarra Park to show him around outside the G on the big day. Unexpectedly, he then tells Junior to ‘just wait here’ next to light tower 1, then leaves him behind and walks into the ground.

Half a minute later, a couple of young uniformed police officers approach Junior, looking concerned and say ‘Hello young man, you look like you’re lost. You’d better come with us.’

They then take him into the ground and straight into an elevator, then up the elevator, down a hallway, through a door and into the Police Control Centre.

Dad then lays eyes on Junior and, feigning great surprise, exclaims to all present: ‘Oh, there you are son. Thank goodness they found you, I was worried sick.’

‘Anyway, no time left to take you home, you’ll just have to stay here. Now, sit down over there, watch the game and don’t get in anyone’s way. And don’t ever wander off like that again!’

Last edited:
Back in the 80's when Princes park was the home ground of Carlton, Hawthorn and Fitzroy there was a match there every Saturday arvo.

I was a poor student in one of the Melb Uni colleges who bought a ticket for the Round 1 game (for about $4), and then never paid for another match for the entire season.

The trick was to leave just before 3/4 time, get a pass out, and then come back in at 3/4 time when the gates were open for anyone to come in for free.

I'd then go home with that pass out and use it to get in again the following Saturday. Rinse and repeat each week for the rest of the season 😁

This same system used to be in place at Subi Oval except they had about 5 different colours of pass outs so you had to do the above trick to build up a collection and then just check which colour the pass out was for said week.

The people I know who used this trick just used to go between the Subi members bar which was a pub at the back of the 2 tier stand and back into the ground.

The funny thing was one time I watched a mate do this and on this day he sat in an empty seat in the grandstand until someone came along and said you’re sitting in my seat…so he got and moved two rows back and the same thing happened again, so then he moved 3 rows back and when he went to move a 3rd time the ground attendant thought something was up… so my mate hot tailed it back to the Subi members bar for the rest of the game before he as asked where was his actual match ticket!

Forgot to post this last Thursday when a mate sent me the link to this Footy Almanac story.

In 1997 GF, the authors best mate from school days, didn't have a ticket and was determined to make it 20 GF's in a row. The last couple of paragraphs explain how with less than half an hour to go, he gets an idea to get in before the first bounce.

I reckon someone in the previous 130 pages has done the same thing.

I use to do records and kept my uniform for this exact reason for years until they changed the uniform and gave them accreditation.

"But then while gazing at a Record boy, he gets an idea. A brilliant idea. He approaches the Record boy and inquires if the boy is allowed to enter the ground. The Record boy nods affirmatively. Clint makes an offer. The Record Boy accepts. After he hands fifty bucks to the Record boy, Clint dons the kid’s lime smock and enters the ground masquerading as a mature-age Record boy. Once inside the ground he then enters a toiletry cubicle, takes off the smock and stuffs it into his pocket. He then gets a pass out, finds the Record boy, who is waiting outside the ground at a prearranged place, and hands back the smock him. Clint then re-enters the ground with his pass out. The streak continues."

Yep - bribing the Record seller has been brought up several times :)

Got me in back in 2001. $50 a go, the kid would walk into the toilets with you, take his record jacket back and he back outside for the the next bloke 5 mins later.

They did this from 10am onwards apparently, made more than they did in a year selling records.

Back in the 80's when Princes park was the home ground of Carlton, Hawthorn and Fitzroy there was a match there every Saturday arvo.

I was a poor student in one of the Melb Uni colleges who bought a ticket for the Round 1 game (for about $4), and then never paid for another match for the entire season.

The trick was to leave just before 3/4 time, get a pass out, and then come back in at 3/4 time when the gates were open for anyone to come in for free.

I'd then go home with that pass out and use it to get in again the following Saturday. Rinse and repeat each week for the rest of the season 😁

The bluecoats at Waverley in the 90s were pretty good to us as teenagers. Generally didn’t even need a pass out… just tell them we didn’t have any money and they’d just wave you in with a laugh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sneaking in to the Grand Final............

Remove this Banner Ad

Back