So... a guy got beheaded in front of my office today

Remove this Banner Ad

Ultimately the interpretation IS the religion. Despite claims to the contrary religion isn't a thing-in-itself. Religion and the associated texts are only as good or bad as the person reading it.

One has to ask them self what "religion per se" actually means.

It seemed that the author was arguing the true meaning of a religion could be found in the sacred texts. The fundamentalist atheist interpretation :p

Instead of judging these religions by the actions of a few, we judge them more objectively: by the contents of their sacred texts (revered by fundamentalists and moderates alike). To us, a simple reading of the Abrahamic holy books reveals endorsements of virtually all the oppressive and discriminatory systems that civil and human rights movements have tried to dismantle over time: patriarchy, misogyny, slavery, tribalism, xenophobia, totalitarianism and homophobia, all rolled into one.

I think one of the most interesting aspects of this whole issue is how the perpetrators are primarily Sunni muslims

See immigration patterns. Pakistanis (and Bengalis) are overwhelmingly Sunni. That is where is the issue is in the UK.

One thing I find interesting is that I cant ever remember a Turk being involved in terrorism on western soil. Ataturk did a good job.

re: this whole argument that US middle east policy is essentially aimed at hobbling Iran (which I can certainly buy in the case of the support for the Syrian rebels) - how does the invasion of Iraq fit in to this? That was always going to strengthen Iran's hand in the region.

iran works, cos then they can halt china.

china are syria, libya, were libya, africa, iran. ask DawOfPromotion he is up to speed on ME geopolitics. putting in pliant regimes in these countries puts a stake into china expansionism. recently china have had israeli and palestinian politicians in china. do you think china gives a shit about them. no. they care about the ME resources, and some of those states are "supposedly" comcerned with palistinians and resent zionists. definitely resent the jewish state. thats no quotation marks.

J_Moore see
Project for New American Century, and "full spectrum dominance". PNAC a DC think tank. Brookings has become PNAC light
also, A Clean Break, a stategy for securing the realm. a paper put out by Feith, Perle, think Wolfie might have had a hand, and a husband-wife team from a uni like john hopkins or chicago. right wing nutters.

they all have one degree of separation between them all. very incestuous, if there can be a qualifier "incestuous". well, they are. and very they are.

See immigration patterns. Pakistanis (and Bengalis) are overwhelmingly Sunni. That is where is the issue is in the UK.

One thing I find interesting is that I cant ever remember a Turk being involved in terrorism on western soil. Ataturk did a good job.

Turkey continues to be the model for how a Muslim majority country can be run well. Many of the student Egyptians and trade unionists really look up to Turkey for an example of how they'd like to see most ME countries.

But a combination of outside influences (Saudi money, Israel, US meddling) is in place to ensure the majority of the people in most ME countries are never listened to. Bahrain was a great example of that. Shia majority rises up against a corrupt, American backed, ruling class..... and Saudi military enter the country and decimate the people.

Anyway, I don't think the problem is simply that England has more Sunni's than Shia. I think fundamentally Sunni Islam is more open to corruption and violence (this is pretty racist of me I know) due to the powers that back it (including the West).

Most Shia terrorism is in response to discrimination or subjugation, i.e. Hesbollah, Al Aqsa, Hamas etc. whereas there is the whole Wahhabi movement and extremisim by Sunni's even though they've got it markedly better than the Shia.

Most of Australia's neighbours are Sunni too. Its why I'm glad we're taking in a lot of Persians and Afghan Hazara's via boat, as they're Shia and less likely to cause this kind of problem (organised crime is more their go, if you're looking at what the 'minority of troublemakers' will do). Yet I find it funny that we are importing so many Sunni's from Africa in areas known for extremism, when we would reach our yearly quota simply processing our predominantly Shia boat arrivals. One thing is for sure, domestic terrorism is a huge bonus for any sitting prime minister, and definitely makes any questionable acts abroad by the Anglo club seem a lot more valid.

china are syria, libya, were libya, africa, iran. ask DawOfPromotion he is up to speed on ME geopolitics. putting in pliant regimes in these countries puts a stake into china expansionism. recently china have had israeli and palestinian politicians in china. do you think china gives a shit about them. no. they care about the ME resources, and some of those states are "supposedly" comcerned with palistinians and resent zionists. definitely resent the jewish state. thats no quotation marks.

Closer to China you also have Myanmar, Sri Lanka.

Why do you think the West finally greenlighted the massacre of Tamil's in Sri Lanka? Big Chinese port being built.

Why is Western money flooding into Burma all of a sudden, even as waves of their refugees wind up on Christmas Island? Because of the rail link direct to China.

China essentially want to create a pan-Asian trade route from Turkey, through Iran, splitting into the Caucus, Russia, Sub-Continent, SE Asia and East Asia.

It will ****ing RUIN the Euro monopoly on trade routes via sea. In theory it could end up going from Beijing to Nigeria.

great cinema and literature too

Great country all around. Same with Persia.

Historically speaking, Turkey, Persia and China have been DOMINANT world powers over Europe. No reason to suggest it won't happen again.

Shit, if it wasn't for Subotai, Europe would be something in museums.

china are syria, libya, were libya, africa, iran. ask DawOfPromotion he is up to speed on ME geopolitics. putting in pliant regimes in these countries puts a stake into china expansionism. recently

The Yanks simply want to destabilise the ME. Hence stoking Iran vs Saudi. Their big fear was someone dominating the region. It is also the fear of the gulf countries. Hence the smaller ones being desperate for the Poms to stay in the 70s. Hence wikileaks and them urging the Yanks to take on Iraq. Hence 7th fleet etc.

The big backers in Syria are Qatar which may have something to do with wanting an overland route to gas to Europe for their gas (unsurprisingly Putin doesn't exactly love the idea given Gazprom dominance).

How many gulf regimes are new / imposed? The ruling families like the Al Sauds, Al Sabahs, Al Thani etc have been around for quite a while. The argument re US imposed dictators is wide of the mark.

China overtaking the US in the near/medium future is Guardian pipedream. Shale is a massive game changer but without that it still wouldn't have happened. China is facing massive problems for a variety of reasons. Worse than Japan had.

Great country all around. Same with Persia.

Historically speaking, Turkey, Persia and China have been DOMINANT world powers over Europe.

The Turks conquered the Balkans. That is about it.

Turkey continues to be the model for how a Muslim majority country can be run well. Many of the student Egyptians and trade unionists really look up to Turkey for an example of how they'd like to see most ME countries.

Turkish colonialism ok, Brit colonialism bad eh Rick?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Turks conquered the Balkans. That is about it.

yeah. british empire finished 60 years back, sorrows of empire and mourning, all that jazz, i know its tough for you meds, surely there is an issue of the Spectator that deals with the 7 steps of empires loss, no?

Not really. I mean, Ataturk is famous for having defended Turkey from the Brits, but immediately after he went about modelling Turkey on England, hence their almost fanatical devotion to secular government even though they're a muslim country.

It isn't colonialism when you lead by example. Its ironic that Turkey embraced British legal systems and culture more than most of the actual colonies did.

yeah. british empire finished 60 years back

Still does a fine line in tax havens old boy.

Handed the baton to Goldmans, they install regime friendly puppets now.

barack_obama_personnalite_une.jpg

How many gulf regimes are new / imposed? The ruling families like the Al Sauds, Al Sabahs, Al Thani etc have been around for quite a while. The argument re US imposed dictators is wide of the mark.

Those dictators wouldn't be around without US backing. They are in many cases a tiny minority group within their own countries.

China overtaking the US in the near/medium future is Guardian pipedream. Shale is a massive game changer but without that it still wouldn't have happened. China is facing massive problems for a variety of reasons. Worse than Japan had.

Shale isn't the gamechanger its cracked up to be, but I agree that China won't take over the US in the next 30-50 years.

But it doesn't need to be, because the US doesn't care about being number 1. It cares about being number 1 by such an astronomical margin that it can, at will, tell number 2 and below what to do. China merely needs to become strong enough to have equal or greater influence than the US within the Asian region.

re: this whole argument that US middle east policy is essentially aimed at hobbling Iran (which I can certainly buy in the case of the support for the Syrian rebels) - how does the invasion of Iraq fit in to this? That was always going to strengthen Iran's hand in the region.

I think they were banking on a pliant client regime. The invasion itself, beating up on a nation that had endured a decade-long embargo, was an unbridled success. What came afterwards was one of the United States' biggest f*ck-ups. Their nation building policy became non-functional. Occupation was a nightmare. The sunni insurgency mauled them until they gave up and bought off the various 'awakening' groups in Al-Anbar Province. The shia got political, and Iran benefitted.

The Iraqi government itself has grown to resent the U.S. It has no authority over the whole of Iraq - Kurdish peshmerga rule the north and as I understand co-operation is very limited between the two.

A weakened, boxed-in Hussein would have served Washington's purposes far more than the clusterf*ck they ended up with.

Not to mention the Shia dominate the south. So essentially, removing a secular (albeit brutal) government, in a country with three clearly different majority cultures... was a bad idea? I for one am shocked.

I think they were banking on a pliant client regime. The invasion itself, beating up on a nation that had endured a decade-long embargo, was an unbridled success. What came afterwards was one of the United States' biggest f*ck-ups. Their nation building policy became non-functional. Occupation was a nightmare. The sunni insurgency mauled them until they gave up and bought off the various 'awakening' groups in Al-Anbar Province. The shia got political, and Iran benefitted.

perhaps. perhaps NOT. it was my puppet state or the highway fractured state.

highway 80

You may well encounter a different perspective, if you talk with Turkish christians who have emigrated to Australia over the past twenty-five years.

BTW copycat attack in France yesterday on another offduty soldier. Looks like it is catching on.

Maybe the western media should have reported it for what it was, two crazy loonies with a machete, rather than giving it any kind of creedance by making the perps jihadist martyrs that are likely to inspire others..

It's like most people are f*cking stupid and don't realise the legitimising effect that 24 hour news media on these kinds of things have...

Maybe the western media should have reported it for what it was, two crazy loonies with a machete, rather than giving it any kind of creedance by making the perps jihadist martyrs that are likely to inspire others..

They did. However it looks like they were wrong as ten people have now been arrested.

France has long had problems. Unless you think 100k cars burning a year is nothing to mention.

Remove this Banner Ad

So... a guy got beheaded in front of my office today

Remove this Banner Ad

Back