Autopsy So so so close (Please read OP)

Is it time to move on and lock the thread?

• Yes

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wifi connection pretty much killed my viewing of the second half, which I only saw in patches (the last vision I watched was McGovern poised to mark the ball late in the last). By the time I'd refreshed the scores on the AFL's website (that too was a spinning ball of nothing) the Eagles were in front. And with my stream unresponsive, and knowing that the chances to sneak a late winner were remote, I walked from the room a shattered man. Listening to the last 90 seconds via SEN's broadcast, head hung low and cursing, sure was a sad end to my Grand Final experience.

So what did I do?

Possessing a sick craving to watch it all unravel, I downloaded a copy of the GF, a copy of the post match, a copy of AFL 360's GF edition, and a copy of On The Couch's GF review. But I still haven't found the intestinal fortitude to watch any of them, despite a gnawing appetite to.

So if anyone has watched a replay can you tell me if the experience was cathartic or crippling? I really need to bury some of my emotional demons.
I've watched the full game highlights on the AFL YouTube channel a few times. It brought back some good memories of being at the game (first 5 goals) but just hurts knowing we were so close.... And robbed by that dirty scump at the end.

Finding it hard to think of anything else other than Collingwood getting redemption for last Sat. Still feel empty inside. So proud of our team.
Nothing personal. Just had to put my 2 cents in and your post seemed a good one to bounce off.

We don't need redemption, not from last week, not from the last seven years, not from the last 40, not from so many lost grand finals nor the innumerable lost finals. We are an awesome club with an amazing record of competing in finals year after year, this year being no exception. We have every reason to be proud of our club this year, as in every year, to achieve what they have. We owe nothing, no need for redemption. It is normal, natural, acceptable to fill the loss of what might have been: but to blame or to believe we failed in any way is not ok. This team will feel the loss, they know better than they ever can have before exactly what it is they missed out on and history suggests there can't be a bigger motivation.

Whether that will be enough, whether this list will go on to become what this year suggests is another thing. But, yeah, with you Matt_352, so proud, so glad to be a pies supporter. Once again we have proved our resilience, out ability to be there and influence the end result. I love supporting the pies.

Nothing personal. Just had to put my 2 cents in and your post seemed a good one to bounce off.

We don't need redemption, not from last week, not from the last seven years, not from the last 40, not from so many lost grand finals nor the innumerable lost finals. We are an awesome club with an amazing record of competing in finals year after year, this year being no exception. We have every reason to be proud of our club this year, as in every year, to achieve what they have. We owe nothing, no need for redemption. It is normal, natural, acceptable to fill the loss of what might have been: but to blame or to believe we failed in any way is not ok. This team will feel the loss, they know better than they ever can have before exactly what it is they missed out on and history suggests there can't be a bigger motivation.

Whether that will be enough, whether this list will go on to become what this year suggests is another thing. But, yeah, with you Matt_352, so proud, so glad to be a pies supporter. Once again we have proved our resilience, out ability to be there and influence the end result. I love supporting the pies.
Even if we win it next year, I doubt it will top this season. What a great season from the Pies. This year tops 1990 and 2010 for me.

Even if we win it next year, I doubt it will top this season. What a great season from the Pies. This year tops 1990 and 2010 for me.
DeGoo going off the rails and constantly piling list of key position injuries - playing a finals series with 4 first choice back men out.

No group of players could have delivered more.

Last edited:
As expected needed another tall down back. Happened 3 times now this year.

Grundy worst game for the season.
Sidebottom worst game for the season.
Thomas worst game for the season.

Best side won on the day. Few calls didn’t go our way but can’t blame the umpires.
I suspect Grundy's game and our lack of another tall down back are related. With another tall down back Grundy would have had more freedom to play his normal game rather than having to be as conscious of Lycett / Vardy. Just my off the cuff opinion without having rewatched the game, looked for Grundy's heatmap or seen the game in person or read the 63 other pages of this thread (ie have only read 1st page).

As for Thomas stats say his worst game by far was against the Blues.

Dreamt last night that we won the 2019 GF against West Coast after Nic Nat missed a shot and one of our “big” back men kicked a running goal from outside 50.

Lock it in boys and girls, just have to decide if you put your money on May or Dunn or Moore kicking the winning goal. (It’s a little fuzzy but I think the back man had blond hair; Redfoo Dunn?)

Have been tempted to watch the replay, was on last night, or night before, 6pm, thought i might be able to put myself through it but in the end flicked it off before it started

been 9 days now since the game has finished, still feel shit

For reasons that I fail to understand, I just sat through the last quarter. Yes I know wce missed some very gettable shots but .....
Cox set shot 45m ... trails right ....Miocheck mark not paid (1 chance)
De Goey snap that goes higher than long ( 2 chances)
Adams checkside from 15 (3 chances)
Adams snap in traffic hit Ryan ( I think) (4 chances)
De Goey snap hit Greenwood (5 chances)
All in a 3 minute period.
I now feel sick

Fffffffffffuuuu.......cccccc......cough...cough..
Someone, anyone, help me up will you.
I just fell off my snuggle.
Tops 1990 and 2010?????
A loss tops two Premierships?
You’re obviously on the same drugs as Thomas.
And a potential sweet sixteen even has you considering 2019 a lesser year than runner ups?
I’m gobsmacked.

For reasons that I fail to understand, I just sat through the last quarter. Yes I know wce missed some very gettable shots but .....
I now feel sick
And WC won by 5.
All kicked.
Could have been a 3-5 goal loss. Easily.

I now feel sick

I'm over it now. Took about 4 days. We didn't take our chances and West Coast did. No point in wondering about the what ifs because the result will never change.

Fffffffffffuuuu.......cccccc......cough...cough..
Someone, anyone, help me up will you.
I just fell off my snuggle.
Tops 1990 and 2010?????
A loss tops two Premierships?
You’re obviously on the same drugs as Thomas.
And a potential sweet sixteen even has you considering 2019 a lesser year than runner ups?
I’m gobsmacked.
It's about the season for me. I wouldn't follow a team if all that mattered to me was premiership afterglow. League wide it occurs on average once every 18years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seeing this thread get bumped constantly is torture.

Yes I know I just bumped it.

It's not torture CFC it's a celebration of triumph over adversity . . .

Remember DeGoo going off the rails :mad:

Remember Hawthorn in the first round :mad:

Remember being down and out to Carlton :mad::mad::mad:

Remember losing Dunn . . . and Shaz . . . young Kirby going down?

Then remember that extravagant young kid who exploded out of nowhere?

Mayne finally making the grade?

Every week a new key player injury?

Remember entering the finals series with a backline DESTROYED by injuries but STILL performing?

REMEMBER the lead up to the PF?? Every expert on the planet gleefully gloating how Richmond were going to feast on our quivering corpse?

It didn't happen mate - we tore the supposedly unbeatable Tiggies wide open and displayed their soft underbelly.

YEP we went down in the big dance agonizingly short

BUT there was no way this team should have made the big dance - damn near a miracle mate.

It's about the season for me. I wouldn't follow a team if all that mattered to me was premiership afterglow. League wide it occurs on average once every 18years.
Seasons a roller coaster.
And this season was a massive roller coaster.
Our good was really, really good.
Our bad was indefensible.
We lucked out with our “fixture”, emphasis on the FIX.
Still that fix gave us a clear run at top four, which we took. To the credit of all.
But once we stood on the throat of the Tiger, we should have been able to complete the month.
We didn’t, despite given every opportunity on the day.
So no, better than 2010 or 1990?
Nah, never.

Still that fix gave us a clear run at top four, which we took. To the credit of all.
But once we stood on the throat of the Tiger, we should have been able to complete the month.
Nah, never.
Each to their own. For me it was a season where we dramatically exceeded expectations playing an exciting brand of footy with a plethora of great stories of development and redemption. I loved the season. Obviously I would have liked the season even more if we had have gotten over the Eagles in the end, but alas.

Nah, never.
I don’t understand this comment about the fixture. If we had an easier it was because fixture because we came 13th last year lol

I don’t understand this comment about the fixture. If we had an easier it was because fixture because we came 13th last year lol
Yes. Exactly.
So next year we start at the back of the pack.
Opportunity gained. Opportunity lost.
My opinion is that we squandered that opportunity.
sr36’s opinion is it was a successful year.
As he rightly states, “each to his own”.

Yes. Exactly.
So next year we start at the back of the pack.
Opportunity gained. Opportunity lost.
My opinion is that we squandered that opportunity.
sr36’s opinion is it was a successful year.
As he rightly states, “each to his own”.
Tbh I think the fixture is pretty much a red herring. Thete is very little difference between 1st and 12th. .next year the fixture will be even deeper. 1 game at a time is all we can focus on

Never confident just hoping we'd win but I just want to say what a great year the supporters have been starved of consistent good footy for 5yrs but this year they delivered and to have it extended for an extra 4 games the finals that just made my year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back