Discussion Soccer/Association Football New Kits

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting story brewing in Liverpool.

Liverpool have agreed a deal with Nike to take over the kit deal as of next year, for a fee of around £75m per season. BUT, New Balance had a clause in their contract allowing them to match any offer from a new supplier and retain the contract. Given Liverpool are their biggest clients and the way the team is tracking at the moment, they’re pretty keen to retain and have stumped up the cash to do so.

Liverpool however, are saying that regardless of the actual fee, NB can’t match other aspects of the deal such as adequate distribution and supply chains around the world (and *cough*Mbappe*cough*), and thus are not really matching the Nike deal. NB are now taking Liverpool to court, to try and hold onto the sponsorship.

Its all getting a bit messy. Hopefully it doesn’t drag out too long, and personally I’m hoping it falls in Nike’s favour. I kinda think if you’re NB, it surely wouldn’t foster a good relationship to take your client to court to retain them against their wishes.

It's a sad state of affairs becuase our last three home kits have been, in my opinion, some of the best in club history. A handful of our aways have been great too, and the supporter wear has been brilliant. Paul Maychen, a Reds YouTuber from The Redmen TV, run had an amazing video on the issue where he discussed the realities around having a smaller supplier in Adidas just not being able to meet the sheer demand for liverpool kits.
All home kits over the last three years have sold out of stock, and this years goal keeper kit has too. For a club our size that's embarrassing, and a problem Nike wouldn't have.

But will we get the same quality design work? The proper, deep red? The little nods to iconic kits of the past? I doubt it.

I actually think I prefer New Balance to Nike. I am sure Nike will be decent but I am just a bit burned after their efforts with Melbourne City, they were so bland. That, and for me, Liverpool and Adidas have always been a better match.

I'd probably prefer Adidas just because they're previous affiliations with Liverpool have been pretty iconic, but alas they don't appear to have been in the running (I've heard stories of high-ups at both organisations having a massive blue last time around leading to us separating, and thus a future partnership looking bleak for the near future).

I haven't been overly impressed with New Balance's kits for us (or Warrior's for that matter). Its really only been home shirts based on historical kits that I've been a fan of. The 125th anniversary home kit was a cracker, and this years is not too bad. The orange third kit from a couple of seasons ago I liked, and this years keeper kit is class. But thats four kits over a five-season span (8 if you include Warrior), so they've been a bit of a bust for me. Nike appear to be branching out a little again with their designs, after a period of giving everyone the exact same kits but in different colourways, and their off-field apparel will likely be better quality too.

Forgive me for my A-League ignorance, but wasn't Wellington relegated or had their license removed or something of that sort?
No they had heavy milestones they would have to reach by the end of the upcoming season, but from what I gather from news articles and comments from the ownership group, the seperation of the aleague and ffa has given the nix a long term role within the competition. I must add that nothing officially official has been said about this.

Forgive me for my A-League ignorance, but wasn't Wellington relegated or had their license removed or something of that sort?
acm21 summarised it pretty well. A-League doesn't have relegation (yet) and we almost were kicked out of the league for not reaching "metrics" that were linked to a conditional licence, such as TV viewership and crowds. We weren't reaching them, but were one of the only teams to gain average crowds and memberships last season. The clubs are supposedly splitting from the FFA next season so that (as well as the two toxic FFA head honchos leaving) will give us control of the league and make us an equal party, whereas with the old model, we had a 3 year licence and everyone else had 20 years.

Sorry if this is too long for you!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if this has been posted, but anyone else hate the Roar's collar?
1570435214964.png
Might also be the shoulders with it, but I'm not a fan.

Not sure if this has been posted, but anyone else hate the Roar's collar?
View attachment 760193
Might also be the shoulders with it, but I'm not a fan.
Just looks like a classic black V-neck to me. Quite inoffensive compared to some of the collars Umbro do so I don't think it's too bad

View attachment 760186
Surprised they didn’t go for the orange word mark, would’ve fit nicely.
Still, relatively inoffensive, can’t complain. Just need to fix that badge height.

Didn’t they say that the badge height would be fixed by the time they announced the sponsor?

Didn’t they say that the badge height would be fixed by the time they announced the sponsor?
Yeah I reckon these would just be left overs that have been heat pressed for the announcement. that being said I wouldn’t hold my breath for them to be fixed any time soon. It is the A-League after all.

Yeah I reckon these would just be left overs that have been heat pressed for the announcement. that being said I wouldn’t hold my breath for them to be fixed any time soon. It is the A-League after all.

Probably right, though if they made a specific point of saying it would be fixed and with the season starting this weekend, you’d think they’d want to show the final product. Peak A-League, really.

Probably right, though if they made a specific point of saying it would be fixed and with the season starting this weekend, you’d think they’d want to show the final product. Peak A-League, really.
Peak A-League, peak Perth Glory, peak Macron.

That trio was never going to be bound for greatness.

View attachment 760186
Still, relatively inoffensive, can’t complain. Just need to fix that badge height.

If they fix the badges, I'll definitely pick one up once they're selling them with the BHP sponsor. Such a clean swap from QBE.

View attachment 760186
Spotted this on Facebook today, must say, I've been wanting to see more WA sides using the 'black with gold trim' colourway for a long time. It was what I was initially hoping for the Western Force about 15 years ago.

71665349_2344167355681916_6765681163265638400_o.jpg

Germany 2020 home:
germany-euro-2020-home-kit-1.jpg

Italy 2020 third:
new-italy-2019-20-third-kit%2B%25283%2529.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back