Soccer fans meet with FFA and resolve issues - could same happen with AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Port182

Senior List
Feb 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Do you think so?

Soccer fans boycotted matches which led to a five-hour meeting last night that resolved all the issues.

No doubt fans on here have many issues with the AFL, do you think a similar thing could happen?

First we'll have to organise in to supporter groups.
Then protest.
Then come up with legitimate demands such as: an appeal process for banned fans, relaxation of police and private security, better fan support.

Major problems with the AFL include:
- tinkering with the rules +/- style of modern football
- fixturing

Is anyone threatening a boycott over those issues?

Nah. FFA at least has to answer to the AFC and FIFA. The afl answers to nobody

Need an independent governing body to oversee the leagues (all of them) - much like FIFA oversees the FA who oversee the premier league etc.

Be different if the league said to the afl (if they were independent) that fans aren't happy and something should be done, but right now none of that can happen

Psychology is totally different.

Soccer games crowds are different more signing and too much focus on tactics of the game and when a team scores the whole stadium goes nuts.. really nuts. When a team is struggling the fans feel more obliged to fire up the team an that could mean flares, harsh chants whatever it takes

AFL is action packed and so much happening where a goal doesn't mean as much as it does in soccer.

I absolutely love seeing flares done the right way - the smokey gaze in night matches in cup type ties or very big games makes it extra special.

I go with the wife and two kids to both AFL and Melbourne Victory two totally different psychology following the sport.

A-League boycott was about fans being summarily banned and names leaked to the media with no consequence. I don’t see how this translates to the AFL.

No, there won't be a boycott because it's "too expensive" or "it was better in the '90s" or "I don't like the rule changes".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A-League boycott was about fans being summarily banned and names leaked to the media with no consequence. I don’t see how this translates to the AFL.

No, there won't be a boycott because it's "too expensive" or "it was better in the '90s" or "I don't like the rule changes".
Spot on.

The only boycott that could have occurred would be swans fans, and opposition fans for that matter, refused to turn up while the afl was initially silent on the racist nature of some fans at games.

Soccer people are a paranoid lot. We don't see the identification of the Freo bloke who hit the woman or the girl who called Adam Goodes an ape as being an attack on our game. No-one is going to walk out of games or stay away to protest against them being identified.

Soccer people are a paranoid lot. We don't see the identification of the Freo bloke who hit the woman or the girl who called Adam Goodes an ape as being an attack on our game. No-one is going to walk out of games or stay away to protest against them being identified.

Whilst the leaking of the names is an issue the FFA needs to deal with the primary reason for the boycott and meeting the other night was about the lack of an appeals process for fans that feel they have been banned unfairly.

It's not about being paranoid, it's about a fair process. I think you'll find most soccer fans think that those who have done wrong should receive lengthy stadiums bans but when you don't know the evidence and are not allowed to view it, you can hardly think the process is fair.

Those are different situations, one of them was caught on camera by the media and the other had criminal charges laid.
The issues with the a-league is that people were banned without knowing what evidence was used and a few of the cases a suggestion that if the CCTV footage was used the person would be proven innocent. Also A-leagiue fans could be banned without a right to appeal that ban.
They were named in the media without context of what they had done and without a right to appeal the decision which led to their name being on that list

Innocent fans banned for no reason lost their jobs because of Rebecca Wilson and company's crusade against sokkah hools. It's not paranoia, there are plenty in the media with an agenda against the game and its fans, simply because they don't understand the culture of the code.

Although I think soccer fans are paranoid about the media apparently "attacking" the game; it is an absolute disgusting that those names were leaked when some have been proved to have been not guilty and not being able to appeal well that is just a joke

Although I think soccer fans are paranoid about the media apparently "attacking" the game; it is an absolute disgusting that those names were leaked when some have been proved to have been not guilty and not being able to appeal well that is just a joke

that sounds like attacking the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back