Play Nice Society, Religion & Politics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Imo in order to improve domestic violence and violence against women men need to hold other men accountable for their actions. Most men have seen their mates do abusive behaviour towards women and not spoken up.

Making coercive control a crime would be good but it's a system made by men for men ultimately

Ban all boys schools too

The problem is that boys schools are terrible for teaching boys to respect women.

Oddly enough though the top schools in the country are usually girls schools, so coed schools are great for boys but actually bad for girls. Girls do better when there are no boys around and boys do better when there are girls around, both academically and socially.

The problem is that boys schools are terrible for teaching boys to respect women.

Oddly enough though the top schools in the country are usually girls schools, so coed schools are great for boys but actually bad for girls. Girls do better when there are no boys around and boys do better when there are girls around, both academically and socially.

No problem with all girls schools

All boys schools are rotten

It is a complex problem.

Women being the victims is a symptom and I think waiting for signs of potential abuse is already too late. It is a lot more complex than being a male problem. A kid isn't born predisposed to being violent or abusive towards anyone. How people are raised and the social influences will greatly determine how they develop. A lot of people who are perpetrators of violence were victims of violence growing up or had a very negative experience growing up and it isn't just men. Intimate partner violence, be it physical, emotional or psychological abuse is more common in lesbian relationships than it is in heterosexual relationships. Men are far more capable of doing physical damage but the impact on people and society is still problematic because abuse tender to evolve into generational abuse. A mother who abuses her children is far more likely to produce an abuse person when they grow up, so ignoring abuse perpetrated by women will just create generational abusers without anything done to deal with that aspect of the problem.

Thomas has had more lives than a cat, if he was an average footballer he would have been turfed a long time ago, sadly, as an industry we tolerate poor or unsociable behaviour largely because top end talent is hard to come by and if we cut him, someone else will pick him up. You are damned if you do, damned if you don't. We have a female CEO and president, the only way he survives is if they sign off on it, so it isn't exactly a boys club decision.

I do think there has been a shift away from IPV over time, I believe it is reported a lot more than it used to so the numbers might not reflect it but but I believe there is far less tolerance for abusive people than their used to be.

As much as I think Thomas deserves to have his football career ended, will it make him a better person to do so and will it improve him for women in the future who choose to become involved with him? As much as we have the desire to see people who do the wrong thing punished, ultimately, it will be better for society if we can reform dysfunctional people. He has the aFL, AFLPA, the club, his manager, etc all trying to get him to not be an idiot. He has far more resources thrown at him than the average idiot on the streets. If we can't reform him what hope do we have in society in general?

I am pretty disgusted with the whole matter though and would have preferred that it wasn't my club.
These issues are not necessarily caused by nurture. In psychology nurture refers to the environment in which a subject is raised. It refers to all situations, home, school, village environment, social interaction.

Nature refers to a person's genetic wiring. In other words does a person have a Personality Disorder like: Narcissistic, Antisocial, Psychopathy, Schizotypal etc. Whether Thomas is a Sociopath, one affected by the environment or has a more severe problem in that he is genetically wired to impulsively pursue this course. In other words he would then be incurable. I would be extremely surprised if the club has even thought to have him tested against the Hare psychopathic scale. The psychologists that deal with sport think in Sports Psychological terms, not Forensic terms. He should be tested.

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

No problem with all girls schools

All boys schools are rotten
I checked the schooling background of AFL identities appearing in the mainstream press for poor behaviour towards women over the past 2 years:

Tarryn Thomas: St Pats (co-ed)
Elijah Hewett: Lynwood High (co-ed)
Wayne Carey: The Heights School (co-ed)
Jake Stringer: Maryborough High (co-ed)
Joffa: Various schools (co-ed)
Brennan Stack: not sure
Jordan De Goey: St Kevin’s (boys)
Jonathon Patton: Nazareth College (co-ed)

A troubled upbringing, usually with alcoholic parent(s), is common among this cohort.

Only one went to a boys school.

But don’t let that get in the way of a good socio-political generalisation.

Last edited:
I checked the schooling background of AFL identities appearing in the mainstream press for poor behaviour towards women over the past 2 years:

Tarryn Thomas: St Pats (co-ed)
Elijah Hewett: Lynwood High (co-ed)
Wayne Carey: The Heights School (co-ed)
Jake Stringer: Maryborough High (co-ed)
Joffa: Various schools (co-ed)
Brennan Stack: not sure
Jordan De Goey: St Kevin’s (boys)
Jonathon Patton: Nazareth College (co-ed)

A troubled upbringing, usually with alcoholic parents, is common among this cohort.

Only one went to a boys school.

But don’t let that get in the way of a good socio-political rant.
From my own experience I would say that co-ed schools seem more likely to put the brakes on this behaviour than all boys schools DURING SCHOOL YEARS. I doubt there's much difference in the cohorts going in. Without a large scale study you wouldn't know about what comes out.

Haven't looked at the research for a decade but this was certainly what the research indicated. It was't a huge difference but statistically significant.

The push for co-ed only benefits boys, literally no benefit if you are a girl in an all girls school that then becomes co-ed. Disruption, hassle, drama etc things teenage girls need less of not more of lol.

As to which schools do better, we are about to see a major dynamic shift towards to boys outperforming girls schools as maths will soon be counted as a compulsory unit in the HSC. I’m not saying boys are better than girls at maths but right now English is compulsory and about 95% of boys hate the subject and don’t perform as well. Also, lots of top performing girls study 4 units of English, History, languages etc bypassing maths altogether their way to a very high atar. It’s all about to change…..

How many are professional protesters do you think? You might have been conned by media mogul propaganda if you’re spouting that rubbish.

And no, nobody is expecting you or anybody else to be miserable… you just do you. Contrary to what you seem to perceive, these protests are filled with a lot of joy and satisfaction to make sacrifices to help the downtrodden minorities of humanity.

probly hard to tell from the tv
it's the "old man shouting at clouds" thing ...

i admit i'm an old man with my own clouds, but i am well on-side with the spirit of revolutionary youth, and the idea that we should look out for society's most vulnerable ...
it's more than likely that society is responsible for them being vulnerable ... whether it's political, socio-economic, educational, health-related, faith-related, just bad luck, or bad decisions ... some people are punished out of proportion to the mistakes or bad decisions, and never get out of the downward cycle ...
yet so many skate through, insulated by advantage, are afforded chance after chance ...
and so, so many people simply do not understand, or choose not to understand, and are content to be handed villains and scapegoats

The push for co-ed only benefits boys, literally no benefit if you are a girl in an all girls school that then becomes co-ed. Disruption, hassle, drama etc things teenage girls need less of not more of lol.

As to which schools do better, we are about to see a major dynamic shift towards to boys outperforming girls schools as maths will soon be counted as a compulsory unit in the HSC. I’m not saying boys are better than girls at maths but right now English is compulsory and about 95% of boys hate the subject and don’t perform as well. Also, lots of top performing girls study 4 units of English, History, languages etc bypassing maths altogether their way to a very high atar. It’s all about to change…..

Happens in businesses too. Businesses that are mostly male can be pretty toxic and generally improve dramatically when the percentage of women in them reaches a tipping point.

10% won't help at all, but if the business is 40% of women that makes a huge difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That will only happen when we stop bringing in people from the wrong countries that all they know is war and violence

I’d have thought it was pretty obvious, with my form in this thread, that I was being facetious.
Some, among the original guardians of this land some 250 years ago, spoke the same as you about a particular immigrant group that also knew little but war, but also seemed to harbour a lot of paedophile holy men and greedy self-serving vice regals surrounded by battalions of armed slaves in red uniforms.

I’d have thought it was pretty obvious, with my form in this thread, that I was being facetious.
Some, among the original guardians of this land some 250 years ago, spoke the same as you about a particular immigrant group that also knew little but war, but also seemed to harbour a lot of paedophile holy men and greedy self-serving vice regals surrounded by battalions of armed slaves in red uniforms.
Don't worry H , i do agree with you , but these are more violent and running organised crime .

That will only happen when we stop bringing in people from the wrong countries that all they know is war and violence

Don't worry H , i do agree with you , but these are more violent and running organised crime .

Sounds like you support Susan

Looks like Sussan was right to warn the people of Dunkley to be afraid of immigrants. As a result, the people of Dunkley have refused to put an Irish immigrant who was heavily supported by the Deputy Liberal Leader, a racist African immigrant in power. The irony of it all is unbelievable.

Looks like Sussan was right to warn the people of Dunkley to be afraid of immigrants. As a result, the people of Dunkley have refused to put an Irish immigrant who was heavily supported by the Deputy Liberal Leader, a racist African immigrant in power. The irony of it all is unbelievable.

fck em, fck their excuses and their tawdry nastiness ... if the tories are looking for a message it's that dutton is unelectable

The Murdoch rag had it a few pages in , if the rats had won it would've been front page and a vote against Albo.
The other good result was the Greens had a big drop , they are like GWS a waste of space

The secret is that Albo and his crew are a waste of space as well, the whole lot of them on all sides don't actually give a heck about you or I. Just different variations of the same bullshit.

The secret is that Albo and his crew are a waste of space as well, the whole lot of them on all sides don't actually give a * about you or I. Just different variations of the same bullshit.

that's true, but one side maintains at least a semblance of a commitment to standing up for the vulnerable, the other side is all about cynical manipulation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back