Soloman - your thoughts please

Remove this Banner Ad

I was unimpressed when we traded for Solomon. Thought he was basically just brought over to help Tarrant, perhaps learning from mistakes made with Croad?

But I'm definately a fan, and will take the odd over the top moment, for the rest of the package we get.

He's my 9yr old son's favourite player, for the way he tackles and attacks the ball.

Solly's a Good Get.

Hey Dockerz, haven't seen you here before! Good to see some olde timey people joining us again!

I was with you up to that point. I just don't see what everyone else sees - all I see in Dean Solomon is Troy Cook with less intelligence, more selfishness and a bigger reputation - but I suppose it'd be boring if we all agreed on everything.

The only thing Longmuir is capable of right now is occupying a spot on the long-term injury list. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were joking when you mentioned "Murphy" and "capable" in the same sentence - and ditto McPharlin. Campbell is hardly ready to set the world on fire either, so surely you can at least see the thinking behind chasing a key forward, even if you don't agree with it?
I agree, and those other couple of things are lack of talent and lack of commitment.

Cook is nowhere in the class of Solly. I mean it's time to wake up, Cook hasn't offered us much this season other than the odd good tackle and the odd goal. Solly is giving us a lot more.

Just out of curiosity, what is your best 22?

Bloody love him.

Same. If every player in the team hit the contest as hard as Solly we wouldn't be in the bottom half of the ladder.

Agree with Ralph's point too. Solly might not have the best skills in the team but he consistently gives our forwards a chance with kicks to their advantage. It's frustrating watching so many of our players thinking that getting the ball in long equals roosting it onto our forwards heads. Don't we practice long kicks to space at training?

Anyway I digress. Love Solly's attitude and was more keen on him than Taz during trade week to be honest. But Taz has certainly won me over with his hardness and workrate too.

just an outsiders view. solomon hardly played a decent game in two yrs before you guys traded for him. hes hardly played a decent game since. as far as player types go he was the least of your worries.
same goes for tarrant. with murphy pav campbell and longmuir and mcpharlin all capable of playing as a kpf i couldnt work out why you would chase a bloke who has no finishing skills especially under pressure. ive been to freo games the last 2 weeks and what stood out was poor kicking skills and a lack of pace.as well as one or two other things.

negative negative negative.......:thumbsdown:
Is that Ken Judge??? or perhaps George Grissleguts
at least list your team you follow if your going to pass your opinion on on squad....

His commitment has been fantastic but his kicking for goal has been very poor. With some massive games coming up we need our 2 recruits to find their kicking boots.

negative negative negative.......:thumbsdown:
Is that Ken Judge??? or perhaps George Grissleguts
at least list your team you follow if your going to pass your opinion on on squad....
He goes for the tigers and lives in perth i think but yeah he's been posting his dribble on our board this whole week since we beat the cubs on sunday

Why did you recruit tarrant blah blah blah blah .....Murphy is gonna leave your club blah blah blah ......Soloman is no good blah blah blah

Could you do us a favour Santa Claws and piss of back to the north pole coz i'm sure no one here really appreciates your negative opinions of our club

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336851&page=4

]

Yes Mal :rolleyes:

I initially was not a fan of this move and people were right to be skeptical. But good FBs are hard to come by and Mal Michael has proven he can still play at a high level. Its probably the one position where experience counts the most. This is not the case with Soloman. Midfielders are a dyme a dozen and he is just keeping younger, quicker and more talented players out of the team.

And I wonder how old man Camporeale is doing?? :rolleyes:

He hardly plays and we gave up nothing for him. He was a one year stop-gap until our young midfielders got bigger and more experienced. But if you traded for Soloman, you must be looking for him to finish his career their?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He hardly plays and we gave up nothing for him. He was a one year stop-gap until our young midfielders got bigger and more experienced. But if you traded for Soloman, you must be looking for him to finish his career their?
We traded for Solomon because we needed depth, hardness and we had two ex-Essendon members of the match committee pleading our club saying he can play a hell of a lot better than he has the last two years and he's only 25.

There is also a mismatch between where we were at and where Essendon are at. The strategy is we were topping up for a tilt at finals. Essendon is rebuilding.

Tarrant and Solomon grew up in Mildura and Broken Hill. Its not surprising the Melbourne weather eventually destroyed them. They're blossoming in the sunshine.

You gotta love Solly
Must admit wasn't sold on the idea but my missus is a fan and now i'm convinced he's in our best 22 simply on the pressure and intensity he brings
Love his work

just quietly, i think your "missus" might be a fan of solly's for a different reason to you :p....or is that just me?

Funny you should say that, my missus is twice as interested in coming to the games this year since Tarrant and Solly have signed on :D

don't blame her...i've planned a trip over for the freo/ess game, only to be told there's no tickets to the game available for poor little bomber supporters....don't know what i'm gonna do!:(

don't blame her...i've planned a trip over for the freo/ess game, only to be told there's no tickets to the game available for poor little bomber supporters....don't know what i'm gonna do!:(

I would be very surprised if this is the case so early. Obviously you have checked ticketmaster?

Just out of curiosity, what is your best 22?
Haven't really thought about my entire best 22 before but seeing you asked I'd give it a crack - I'll assume by best 22 you mean I can include players with short-term injuries:
Hayden, Haddrill, Thornton
Grover, McPharlin, Johnson
Peake, Hasleby, McManus
Bell, Pavlich, Crowley
Farmer, Tarrant, Schammer
Sandilands, Black J.Carr
Bench: Warnock, Campbell, Headland (barely), Solomon (even more barely).
Coach: Harvey

(those underlined are the few I'd give a pass mark to based on their season so far - everyone else is a clear failure and that's why we're so far below what was expected this season)

Players who completely suck right now and don't come into consideration as a result: Mourish, Murphy, Gilmore, Parker, Webster, Dodd, Mundy, M. Carr.

Players who are nowhere near ready for our best 22 but may be within a few years - remains to be seen: Ibbotson, O'Brien, Dunn.

None of the above: Longmuir, Collard, Drum, Browne, Cook, Walker, Duffield.

Alright then, that's the best I could come up with in 10 minutes. No doubt those of you with rose-coloured glasses who somehow seem to think 5-6 (and the performances we've dished up) is anywhere near acceptable will take issue - go for your life.

No doubt those of you with rose-coloured glasses who somehow seem to think 5-6 (and the performances we've dished up) is anywhere near acceptable will take issue - go for your life.

My main issue is you haven't deemed Hayden's performances to be worthy of a pass mark this season. He's been one of our best every week, what exactly do you expect him to do? Get 35 possessions every game?

And I'm not sure how you've concluded that Mundy and especially Dodd have completely sucked this year. Dodd's had some fantastic defensive games this season.

Backs: Hayden, Grover, Thornton
Half Backs: Mundy, McPharlin, Johnson
Centres: Peake, Hasleby, Schammer
Half Forwards: Bell, Tarrant, Crowley
Forwards: Farmer, Pavlich, Headland
Followers: Sandilands, Black, J.Carr
Bench: Warnock, Solomon, Dodd, McManus
Coach: Connolly

Hard to name a best 22 without knowing who an opposition is. Our best 22 might include an extra tall or an extra midfielder or something else but above is something close IMO.

My main issue is you haven't deemed Hayden's performances to be worthy of a pass mark this season. He's been one of our best every week, what exactly do you expect him to do? Get 35 possessions every game?

And I'm not sure how you've concluded that Mundy and especially Dodd have completely sucked this year. Dodd's had some fantastic defensive games this season.

Hayden is in All-Australian form so i agree with you estibador, i dont know how he hasnt got a pass mark.

Mundy and Dodd would have pass marks IMO as well

Nice to be noticed Lach72.
I was surprised to see I was a Member since Oct 2001, yet still classed as a newbie.... hehehe

Always check out what's going on in here, especially draft/trade times, tis good to see what other Dockers supporters are thinking as the season progresses, and there is a lot less editing/deleting of post's than on that 'othersite'.

Haven't really thought about my entire best 22 before but seeing you asked I'd give it a crack - I'll assume by best 22 you mean I can include players with short-term injuries:
Hayden, Haddrill, Thornton
Grover, McPharlin, Johnson
Peake, Hasleby, McManus
Bell, Pavlich, Crowley
Farmer, Tarrant, Schammer
Sandilands, Black J.Carr
Bench: Warnock, Campbell, Headland (barely), Solomon (even more barely).
Coach: Harvey

(those underlined are the few I'd give a pass mark to based on their season so far - everyone else is a clear failure and that's why we're so far below what was expected this season)

Players who completely suck right now and don't come into consideration as a result: Mourish, Murphy, Gilmore, Parker, Webster, Dodd, Mundy, M. Carr.

Players who are nowhere near ready for our best 22 but may be within a few years - remains to be seen: Ibbotson, O'Brien, Dunn.

None of the above: Longmuir, Collard, Drum, Browne, Cook, Walker, Duffield.

Alright then, that's the best I could come up with in 10 minutes. No doubt those of you with rose-coloured glasses who somehow seem to think 5-6 (and the performances we've dished up) is anywhere near acceptable will take issue - go for your life.

Nah, that is fair enough.... my best 22 is quite similar. Only diff is I'd have Dodd and Mundy for Haddrill and McManus. And depending on conditions, I'd probably play Webster instead of Warnock, or give a go to someone like Ibbo, Duffield or Drum, who I all think have bright futures.

Headland and Solomon would be in my first dozen selected though. I also think Tarrant and Hayden deserve pass marks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Soloman - your thoughts please

Remove this Banner Ad

Back