Rumour Some assistant coach names appearing for Port's top job

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
agree with not wanting Clarkson.

He's got such a talented list yet they are so shit it's not funny. Do not want.

as for Russ, pretty dumb saying that public basicly blackmailing the club. Real classy

I really don't think the hawks are that talented. If they were, why would they have pushed so hard for Burgoyne?

They have only a handful of solid consistent players and a heap of plodders. Sure if cyril, hodge and franklin all are firing they look good, but it's not sustainable. Their results are a clear reflection of that. Players like franklin will never be as reliable as Saint Nick, Brown or Tredders. IMO Clarko is their biggest asset.

im hoping chris scott gets the job!!!! as for russel ebert champion port player but comments where out of line!!! for him to say that about chris scott shows no respect to the guy and to the port process, he should stay out of it and let the port panal make the choice!! if scott is appointed it will be funny if hes welcome at the club! he wont be much good to us with one arm ......

Any chance we could still get Paul Roos;)? Easily the best coach since the Matthews premiership era with Brisbane. If we could nab someone who could make us play like Sydney, I could live with that. Incredible club!!!!!!

Id stick with Primus, if I were Port, He seems to understand the current players well, would know most of them back the front and most importantly they respect him. Could take Scott a year to get to the same knowledge/stage....Forget the on paper garbage

The more I think about it, the more I want an outsider, particularly Scott.

I think Primus has done an awesome job, and should be commended for that. I would like to keep him on as an assistant if he would stay. But, as some pretty wise footy heads have said that it is not unusual for a team to get up for that period of time under a new coach, after so long under the same leader. And maybe it is a bigger risk to get someone brand new to the club, but sometimes the risks are worth it - as it could have an even greater outcome.

Really after so many players and staff leaving, after so many 'give up'efforts letting other teams come from behind to beat us, after the 2007 GF disaster, and after listening to the same coaching group for so long, we need a true clean out, clean up and re-jig. Only an outsider could truly do this.

Scott has been at Freo while Harvey has done this, and his brother is doing similar things at North. Our players need a shake up to get the best out of them. I think given the way Scott played too, he could start to demand that hard edge out of our players that we are lacking, and bring that culture to the club. And assuming he hasn't burnt any bridges, he would have some pretty good mentors he could go to for advice - Leigh Matthews, Brad Scott, Mark Harvey, Nigel Lappin. Voss etc.

Primus has made it a hard decision, but we need to look at the bigger picture and long term future, and pick an outsider. The Port Adelaide thing to do would be make the tough decisions for the club. The club comes before the individual.

it's insane to suggest even the best coach could have turned all that around in seven minor rounds... what Primus has done is played who should, didn't play who shouldn't, beat all clubs we should have and went okay in his first against the Bulldogs in Darwin. Primus can turn our mental fragility around. Again, I saw it in the beasts eyes.

so Primus has stopped 15 goal blowouts, last quarter fade outs, and getting large margins in front only to be chased down and nearly lose?

I agree, I don't throw out the changes he made, but it's still there, obviously it will take time to change a game plan that's existed for so long

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at that list in the link in the previous post, reminds me that Paul Feltham at the Brisbane Bears who went 5-2 after Peter Knights was sacked in 1989, is the only caretaker coach of the last 25 years who coached in 5 or more games and had a 50%+ W-L ratio and wanted the job and wasn't appointed.

Actually the Bears did alright in their first 3 years, given how diabolical their list, facilities and off field dramas with Skase and co. were as they went 6 then 7 then 8 wins and didn't win the wooden spoon in any of those first 3 years. Feltham didn't get the job. It went to Norm Dare, who I'm sure was a Queenslander who played for Fitzroy who went 4-18 in 1990 and was sacked at the end of the year.

But the Bears weren't a real football club run by real football people in those early days.

So for Primus to not get the job with a 5-2 record would be a vary rare result.

I'm not sure what the fascination with an outsider is? Change for changes sake...

Didn''t Primus come from Norwood anyway? Couldn't get much more outside than that!

I'm not sure what the fascination with an outsider is? Change for changes sake..
People want change because of Primus being under choco for the last 13 years from a player to a captain to an assistant coach

Primus only knows what Choco has taught him and we want more than that. We need someone with new ideas, fresh ideas, and someone who has been with other clubs/coaches

People want Port to be relentless, want us to stop fading out when we have a commanding lead, snatching losses from the jaws of victory, 15 goal blowouts, excuses about injuries/young players/the angle of the sun etc when we lose

People see Primus as part of the reason we have been a basket case over the last few years and many people want a change from that

Also many see that if Primus is appointed then we will not wield the axe with the other coaching staff whereas a new fresh coach will get rid of the deadwood and bring in new people

Many of us supporters have seen the last 3 years as such a disaster that we need to take a break from what we know and go for something totally new and fresh, and Primus isnt that

Its not changing for the sake of changing at all

Decision on Tuesday?

Alan Richardson puts forward his case for Port Adelaide job
By Michelangelo Rucci
September 06, 2010

link

"Outsider" Alan Richardson has made the case for why the supposedly insular Port Adelaide Football Club need not look beyond Alberton - and former captain Matthew Primus - to find its next coach.

The Power board is expected to meet on Tuesday evening with three candidates hoping to succeed premiership coach Mark Williams - Primus, Richardson and Fremantle assistant Chris Scott.
link

People want change because of Primus being under choco for the last 13 years from a player to a captain to an assistant coach

Primus only knows what Choco has taught him and we want more than that. We need someone with new ideas, fresh ideas, and someone who has been with other clubs/coaches

People want Port to be relentless, want us to stop fading out when we have a commanding lead, snatching losses from the jaws of victory, 15 goal blowouts, excuses about injuries/young players/the angle of the sun etc when we lose

People see Primus as part of the reason we have been a basket case over the last few years and many people want a change from that

Also many see that if Primus is appointed then we will not wield the axe with the other coaching staff whereas a new fresh coach will get rid of the deadwood and bring in new people

Many of us supporters have seen the last 3 years as such a disaster that we need to take a break from what we know and go for something totally new and fresh, and Primus isnt that

Its not changing for the sake of changing at all

The content of your post is supporting the opposite view of your last sentence -

"Many of us supporters have seen the last 3 years as such a disaster that we need to take a break from what we know and go for something totally new and fresh..."

Re: Some assistant coach names appearing

How about someone from Freo? Used to be a basketcase club but have developed their young players well and are playing good football. Have a number of experienced assistant coaches, with different types of experience.

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/coaching%20staff/tabid/8649/default.aspx
Scott/Wallis/Mitchell?

According to the article quoted in the OP, Chris Scott is rumoured to be among the favourites.

He's my choice then :thumbsu:
Still hoping for Scott, even if it is with limited information :thumbsu:

it is? please explain?

"Many of us supporters have seen the last 3 years as such a disaster that we need to take a break from what we know and go for something totally new and fresh..."

Well this statement reflects change just for the sake of change - it couldn't be more direct and definitive.

There are no extuating circumstances, facts or evidence that supports a change for real reasons.

Just my opinion.

Well this statement reflects change just for the sake of change - it couldn't be more direct and definitive.

There are no extuating circumstances, facts or evidence that supports a change for real reasons.

Just my opinion.
i thought i explained pretty well during the post why it isnt just for the sake of changing

Primus was part of the coaching staff that sent our club into despair from the 2007 GF onwards, and has been at the club under that regime for almost his entire football playing and coaching career

thats not a change for the sake of changing. I want a change because we need new and fresh ideas from outside this club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back