Rumour Some assistant coach names appearing for Port's top job

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Many of us supporters have seen the last 3 years as such a disaster that we need to take a break from what we know and go for something totally new and fresh..."

Well this statement reflects change just for the sake of change - it couldn't be more direct and definitive.

There are no extuating circumstances, facts or evidence that supports a change for real reasons.

Just my opinion.

What about no Crowds
Lack of Corporate sponsorship
Lack of enthusiasm as a whole from our supporters and media

The coach to get the job needs to get us back up the ladder quite simply if that's Primus good on him as at the end of the day playing good winning footy should be our focus.

personally I think Scott is the man based my my hunch, but if it's Primus, go get him tiger, but the moment he drops the ball I think there will be a large element of supporters who will associate the Williams era with him, which won't be good for our club.

i thought i explained pretty well during the post why it isnt just for the sake of changing

Primus was part of the coaching staff that sent our club into despair from the 2007 GF onwards, and has been at the club under that regime for almost his entire football playing and coaching career

thats not a change for the sake of changing. I want a change because we need new and fresh ideas from outside this club

Spadge just quote 01 finals series, 02 qual final, 03 qual final, 05 semi final, 06, 07 GF, 08, 09, 10. That should be enough :)

Spadge just quote 01 finals series, 02 qual final, 03 qual final, 05 semi final, 06, 07 GF, 08, 09, 10. That should be enough :)
add 2000 to that list where we finished 14th in Choco's second year at the helm

but your right... this angst has been festering for a long time and quite simply ive had enough
i wanted choco gone last season and i wanted Hardwick
i also wanted our entire coaching department gone... including Primus

Primus has done pretty well since Choco left i am not doubting that, but how much of that is players getting up for a new coach when the season was shot, players playing for their lives, or Laidleys influence?

Remember in that 7 weeks we lost by 15 goals, lead by 10 goals to nearly lose to the 14th placed team, gave up a 5 goal lead to nearly lose to the wooden spoon team on our home ground and also gave up a 10 goal lead to win by under 5.

The results werent bad but the underlying problems are still there. Sure Primus cant change everything in 7 weeks but i also got the distinct feeling that the last 7 weeks were a honeymoon period for the players and it would soon wear off and we'd be back to the same shit

time to make a break from the old regime totally

What about no Crowds
Lack of Corporate sponsorship
Lack of enthusiasm as a whole from our supporters and media

The coach to get the job needs to get us back up the ladder quite simply if that's Primus good on him as at the end of the day playing good winning footy should be our focus.

personally I think Scott is the man based my my hunch, but if it's Primus, go get him tiger, but the moment he drops the ball I think there will be a large element of supporters who will associate the Williams era with him, which won't be good for our club.

I am not too fussed who we get - it appears that both are potentially reasonable selections. I don't think that Richardson is in the running now.

There is no guarantee that Scott's appointment will fix our ills - certainly not in the medium to long term if the wins don't come.

The only thing that matters to footy clubs and what fixes all problems are wins, wins and more wins - this has been quoted by Choco, Bucky and many others and is not news to anyone.

The board's decision must be based on who is likely to give us the best chance to form a team to get us consistent wins, not just a fresh start or a change for change sake. This approach is fraught with danger and the repercussions would be almost club destroying, particularly if it is an epic fail.

I still hope that Scott puts on such a good presentation that he beats Primus on real merits, not a change for change sake decision - this would be the best result for the club in the long term.

Browsed through the Tiser while having a brew at Cafe Buongiorno and noticed that Alan Richardson has acknowledged he's in the running for both Port and Essendon senior jobs. He understands that if offered the job at Alberton he'll have to make a decision because Port won't wait for him to see what happens with the Bombers job.

Natman I doubt are board are that silly they would do that.

I am sure it would be the best person for the job. We will find out in a weeks time, I just think if it was Primus why not come out now?

Maybe it's Paul Roo's and everyone has to keep it secret? lol

What have all of these results go to do with Primus coaching next season or thereafter?

Sorry, but there is no correlation to make other than he was one of 4 assistant coaches in the last few years.

I still hope that Scott puts on such a good presentation that he beats Primus on real merits, not a change for change sake decision - this would be the best result for the club in the long term.
this i agree with

look... if Primus is better than Scott on real merits i will accept it and support Primus 100%

same with Scott

First and foremost i want our next coach to the the best possible person to coach Port and not because:
1) Primus is a Port boy and did ok at the end of the season as caretaker.. the easy choice
2) Scott is an outsider and Port want a change

im sure Port will select on merits though

Browsed through the Tiser while having a brew at Cafe Buongiorno and noticed that Alan Richardson has acknowledged he's in the running for both Port and Essendon senior jobs. He understands that if offered the job at Alberton he'll have to make a decision because Port won't wait for him to see what happens with the Bombers job.

Ka...Ching, Ka...Ching, $$$$

Now we know where to hang out to get a glimpse of the BF stars:D

What have all of these results go to do with Primus coaching next season or thereafter?

Sorry, but there is no correlation to make other than he was one of 4 assistant coaches in the last few years.

That there are many reasons from getting away from the Williams era.

If you paint a crappy car, it's still a crappy car but with a better paint job.

Now Primus unforntunately is going to be associated with that same era, like it or not for many supporters. He can try and paint a new image and he may do it successfully, but the moment he drops the ball in the first two years, the scares of the past will come back to haunt him as he will always be associated with Williams.

i would have more chance of having sex with Jennifer Hawkins that Roos coming to coach Port next season

god i hope Roos comes to Port next season

I don't think so next year, but he looks like a person who likes a challenge and appear "God" like, compared to taking a top notch side with money to burn.

We'll see how good he is when he isn't there next year, but he's a star. He takes average looking players eg Shaw, Mattner,, Richards the list goes on and with his structure makes them fantastic players.

It shows how much of a difference a coach can make. Lyon at St Kilda did the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW

link
Richardson won't get the Port Adelaide gig - Chris Scott shortens by the day - and is already making his play closer to home.
link

That list's missing Gary O'Donnell, coached 1 for 1 win when joke teeth had surgery or something, about 2002.

The AFL gave that game to Sheedy.

I had some correspondence with stats guru Kevin Taylor who's Footy Stats Diary site is a brilliant source of info, in 2005, trying to establish how may games Jock McHale only played in + games played as coach + games just coached as I wanted to know how close Sheedy was to McHale's record. Kevin did the reconciliation and worked out McHale had been involved in 878 games. In 2007 I followed up with Kevin if the O'Donnell coaching game was counted as Sheedy's or O'Donnell's. He told me the AFL gave it to Sheedy and that the rd 15 game in 2007 saw Sheedy break Mchale's record as that was his 879th game he was involved with as a player or coach. The AFL indeed celebrated the rd 15 game as a record breaking game for Sheedy.

If you look at any of the AFL Record Season Guides since 2007 they credit that game to Sheedy not O'Donnell

Kevin wrote the following in 2006 on his website - from the email he sent me in 2007....
*Match Review* section of 2006-R16, Fri-Sat-Sun, July 21-22

Although Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy sat in the coach's box after having undergone surgery earlier in the week, Gary O'Donnell was the man at the helm. Darryl Timms noted on Monday in the Herald Sun: The official team sheet lodged with the AFL still showed Sheedy as the senior coach....

and

link
Richardson is firmly in the running for the vacant roles at Windy Hill and with Port Adelaide, although Chris Scott and Matthew Primus are reportedly now ahead of him for the Power position.

The Power is expected to prune its shortlist this week with the two final candidates to present to the board.
link

Yeah, don't know how much of this is just 1+1=3 type stuff.

Richardson is applying for the Essendon job as well, keeping his options open - as can be seen in the direct quotes from him in todays tiser. Are they assuming because he is doing this that he doesn't think he will get the Essendon gig ?

For my Richardson is probably in front of the other two in tactical nouse (given his years of experience), but suspect he lags a fair way behind in terms of charisma and 'I'll lead - you follow' type intangibles.

the question is whether his experience puts him far enough in front tactically to offset the other issues he will have ....

Hypothetically, what would the coaching applicant landscape look like next season with many coaches out of contract: Malthouse, Thompson, Hardwick (?), Ratten, Clarkson, Worsfold and Craig (?) - will make an interesting time in deciding whether to go old or new for a few clubs next season.

Bloody Choco ...again!!!

Hypothetically, what would the coaching applicant landscape look like next season with many coaches out of contract: Malthouse, Thompson, Hardwick (?), Ratten, Clarkson, Worsfold and Craig (?) - will make an interesting time in deciding whether to go old or new for a few clubs next season.

Bloody Choco ...again!!!

That's why Walls has commented publicly if Choco or any other coach would accept a one year contract from Essendon to give them the opportunity to get the best coach available at the end of 2011, and lock that guy in long term, rather than the best coach available at the end of 2010 and lock him in.

In typical Walls style he only talked about the Vic team doing that, not Port.

In typical Walls style he only talked about the Vic team doing that, not Port.

Off topic, but that is all he ever thinks about. Only does and only eer will, his true colours can be heard when on 3AW I think he forgets it is a national coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back