Review Something Something HOW ****ING GOOOD - Week 1 Finals Review

Remove this Banner Ad

watching the replay, a lot of guys in that first half having stinkers. Ryan Chapman Driz Etc etc.

The end of the 2nd was so huge. Cutting it to 15 when we hadn’t kicked a goal with 4.40 left.

Hayden Young’s game was elite the whole way. So composed and makes no bad decisions with the ball. He is an absolute star. Needs to start taking all the kickouts

Also, litter vent while on the kickouts, Luke Ryan is so *ing predictable. Long and to the same side every bloody time. Change it up mate.. came back after almost every single one
100% on the kick outs.

Long to the congestion side which is totally predictable.

I’m disappointed that the coaching staff can’t come up with different kick out plays.

I would try and fit Lobb in there somewhere. Thought he was very important. Imo
Lobb defensively was massive. Got back often and filled the hole. Don’t think he marked any, but got hands and was a large body Dogs players couldn’t jump over. Absolutely massive in defense.

Then obviously kicked his 2.

What a strange evening it was, with a mix of a bit of everything from finals past. The first 1.5 quarters were like an even worse version of the 2013 GF, what with being unable to translate forward entries into a score and a general sloppiness in our play from being overawed by the occasion. Then the fightback a la the third term of that GF, but this time with the added twist of the 2012 EF in holding them off to win.

For all that, the Bulldogs never strike you as a team which is going to bury you and keep their foot on your throat, certainly not in their present incarnation. They hit us with all of their experience early doors, but once we did start scoring, you didn't feel as though they would run away from us again in spite of having the rub of the green with the umpires. Certainly once the clamps got put on Bontempelli, their midfield drive and ball movement generally dried up completely and it was really just a matter of whether we could make the most of our chances.

Whilst I do think Walters was well off his usual standards earlier in the year, one thing that cannot be denied is that he is a big time player in finals. He always has been, going right back to the 2010 EF against the Hawks, and his effort in this one was no exception. Mundy was certainly quieter than he has been on such occasions before, but thankfully Brayshaw and Serong picked up the slack admirably with able support from Brodie and Aish. And whilst he didn't dominate the air, I thought Sean Darcy completely pantsed Tim English where it mattered.

I did flash back to Chris Mayne's horrendous momentum killing miss from the 2015 PF (I still maintain we would have won that game if he had put us 3+ goals up early) when Jye Amiss hit the post from 15m, but the young man battled back brilliantly to play a crucial part in the comeback. He seems a very composed character, too; I had a side on view from Bay 549, and he does get awfully close to the man on the mark, but I think not making the distance in Q4 was more fatigue than a technique problem. Lobb was dreadful in the first half, but did manage to rediscover some spark and motivation - Logue had a poorer game, though mainly because the crumbers never really seemed to get near him and he couldn't clunk the ball to save himself. Having watched him over the back half of the season, there is also no way known he would have even scored from that position without the 50, either...

Whilst Michael Johnson and Steven Dodd were also Freo fans growing up, Nathan O'Driscoll is I believe the first lifelong Dockers supporter (ie, not born before us) to play for the club, and you can't half tell. Even in this professional era, I firmly believe every team needs a player or two like that, and when he dobbed his goal I knew we were going to win.

Can we beat the Carringbush? I think so, although we will need a much better start and ability to curtail their surge play. Still, my goal for this season was to make and win a final, so we have ticked that box - everything left is for Dave, really...

Lachie Schultz deserves special mention, he was all over the ground last night chasing like a mad man, not surprised he was cramping. I particularly enjoyed that hard tackle right in the middle of the field.
I particularly enjoyed that moment where he tricked 5 dogs into fighting with him on the boundary while the umps threw the ball in to a sea of purple players and we got a goal to tie the game. Really smart move by him I know he did it on purpose.

Congrats on the win, awesome come back! Brayshaw is a gun, and Freo playing great footy, really well coached. Enjoy the build up and may the best team win next weekend. Hopefully the umps don’t stuff this one as usual.
The holding balls and pushing in the backs made me mad.

I hate the AFL with a passion.

Congrats on the win, awesome come back! Brayshaw is a gun, and Freo playing great footy, really well coached. Enjoy the build up and may the best team win next weekend. Hopefully the umps don’t stuff this one as usual.
Your game was a disgrace. The umps were riding Geelong the entire way.

Not much been said about him but I think that was Logue's worst game since moving forward. Couldn't mark the ball to save his life.

Zero tackles
Only 8 pressure acts

Gained a little confidence after his goal but it was a stinker for sure.

Only way is up now.

Yeah bad timing given Tabs is probably coming back

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I particularly enjoyed that moment where he tricked 5 dogs into fighting with him on the boundary while the umps threw the ball in to a sea of purple players and we got a goal to tie the game. Really smart move by him I know he did it on purpose.

The team went to him after like because that's exactly how it happened. They all got sucked in and we had multiple extras at the contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure I've ever disagreed with a single game rating as much as the 7.5 they gave Young there. He was absolutely enormous and I'm not sure he could have physically played any better.

He didn't kick enough goals or win enough hitouts. No clearances.

Good review from a footy supporter’s perspective and manages to get a couple of funny digs aimed at Carlton and Saints in there too.

Game rating
I mean I am not going to quibble too much with the love given to the fab 2 getting 9.5 over his rating of 9, but anyone that didn't have Walters best on ground is confusing me. Small forwards are not meant to do what he did last night in a final. I said it elsewhere, it was the most complete game he's played in years - goals, pressure, blocking for Amiss, leadership, courage, not playing once for a free.
Also reckon Cox was a bit overrated, he had a couple of wtf moments including letting some doggie that was a good 15cm shorter than him just walk around him to mark in front whilst Brennan just stood there.

Good review from a footy supporter’s perspective and manages to get a couple of funny digs aimed at Carlton and Saints in there too.
Alas, Cerra decided he’d rather head to a team that chokes with finals looming, leaving Serong and Brayshaw to team up with old man Mundy and Will Brodie… and they have not missed Cerra one bit. Not even a smidgen. Bugger off, Adam… hope you’re enjoying your September off…

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Also reckon Cox was a bit overrated, he had a couple of wtf moments including letting some doggie that was a good 15cm shorter than him just walk around him to mark in front whilst Brennan just stood there.

Granted, I have only re-watched the first half so far but it happened once in the first quarter where he allowed Bont to waltz in front of him. I don't recall it happening in the second half.

Granted, I have only re-watched the first half so far but it happened once in the first quarter where he allowed Bont to waltz in front of him. I don't recall it happening in the second half.
I only watched the second half, and the only time he was out marked was when roarke took that grab in the 4th to put the doggies back within six. And JUH had a fistful of his jumper and was dragging him down without even making an attempt at marking so it should've been a free to cox anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Something Something HOW ****ING GOOOD - Week 1 Finals Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back