Sorry but Ling's a Liability!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Was Ling's Performance the Worst From A Captain Since Tredders in 07 GF?

my highlight last night was the much maligned Daisy Thomas laying a screamer of a tackle on Ling who coughed it up to Pendles for the loudest goal i ever heard! Later on the wing Thomas outran him - fell over - got up and immediately ran past him again - it was embarrassing for Ling

tredreas performance in the dreadful match was one of the only shininjg lights, the only player in the jumper that bothered to try. so im not overly sure wat angle you are taking there, but none the less, lingy wasnt himself at all last night.

Ling is far to slow...time to retire & Geelong really need to blood some youth & start a side rebuild next year. Ottens is also gone among 4-5 other old players.

Time to rebuild a new side Geelong.

Bomber has to make the tough calls as the coach. Geelong are too slow for the game today and ling is the slowest and can only play on tha fastest of players(can only play as a tagger). Game has passed him BIG TIME. He is gone. Make the call coach

Where did you pull Tredrea from? He was probably 2nd or 3rd best in that disaster GF.

The OP was trying to start a "popular" thread...

It's popular to bag us for 07, as it should be and...

It's popular to bag Tredrea and it shouldnt be.

Shit thread all round, he hasn't bothered watching Brad Johnson "lead" the dogs for a while obviously.

Ling had a poor one but he wasn't on his Pat Malone.

tredreas performance in the dreadful match was one of the only shininjg lights, the only player in the jumper that bothered to try. so im not overly sure wat angle you are taking there, but none the less, lingy wasnt himself at all last night.

I agree with that. My recollection was that Tredrea and Shaun Burgoyne were the only two to impose themselves in any shape or form.

Hard to single out individuals but IMO, there was no real matchup for Ling.

He can't go with Swan, period.

If he went with Pendlebury, he would just shift to HFF taking him away and exposing him that way, he isn't quick enough to play up forward and lead an opponent to the ball and in he would lack the closing speed to play in defence ala Joel Corey.

His best match-up perhaps would have been Luke Ball but it's not often you tag the 3rd/4th/5th etc best mids of the opposition.

Don't agree, to easy to blame Ling.

He was trying to stop the bleeding with absolutely no help or direction, didn't have a job or a strategy for the night at all.

Won his own clearances, was great at reading the ball at the stoppages, thought he was one of their best myself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Captaincy at Geelong is going to a real issue. If Ling's decline continues he clearly can't continue to captain as he won't be a best 22 player. A brave decision might be to relieve him of the captaincy now, but Bomber won't do that.

Next in line for captaincy people are saying Selwood. But Joel is an insular player. Captains these days need to be organisers. With positioning and structures so important it is the chief organiser that should take the captaincy mantle these days. Joel isn't that person. But who is? Geelong won't want to be stuck with a Judd type captain. "Lead by example" only players don't cut it as leaders these days.

I don't believe he is fat slow and old it's just the came has turned away from the type of player he is. His main strength is his amazing endurance which in the past he has used to great effect in blanketing his opponent. However with the way the game has been going with non-stop interchanges that endurance counts for next to nothing as players are going to the bench every few minutes for a rest. If there is an interchange cap put in place next year then people will again see the advantage.

This post is spot on.

The Pies have changed the game, and they're likely going to win a flag from it (and rightly so); but if the AFL changes the rules, it's going to completely change the game again next year.

This post is spot on.

The Pies have changed the game, and they're likely going to win a flag from it (and rightly so); but if the AFL changes the rules, it's going to completely change the game again next year.

This could be true. If the AFL cap the rotations Geelong's game plan might still stack up as trying to press for 4 quarters with lower rotations not really going to be feasible.
But they may not have the players capable of it regardless

Bomber has to make the tough calls as the coach. Geelong are too slow for the game today and ling is the slowest and can only play on tha fastest of players(can only play as a tagger). Game has passed him BIG TIME. He is gone. Make the call coach

Hey, we finished third. :rolleyes:

Ling wasn't the worst for them by any stretch.

Sure he looked slow in a couple of passages, but speed has never been his strength.

Corey is done.
Stokes is soft as butter (see attempt at sheppard in 1st qtr for Chapman goal).
Byrnes likewise soft.
Mooney is and always has been an average player.
Podsiadly had absolutely no chance to get the ball in the 1st half, other than his goal kicking his 2nd half was good.
Ling too slow - too many missed tackles.
SJ trying to do too many miracles, he needs to focus on the basics.
Selwood terrible game by him his finals havn't been great maybe he is overrated.
Taylor is very average. Only reason he got AA is because there aren't any highly rated CHBs.
Ottens and Hawkins also both no impact on the game at all.

Seriously, very ordinary Captain's knock tonight.

I haven't seen such a poor performance in a big final from a captain since Tredrea in 07.

And I don't think he has played very well at all this year.

Is slow, can't tackle, can't really do anything.

He will be 30 next year, and in a failing side he will look even more atrocious.

Is it time for the tap on the shoulder? Should he hang them up? Is there any value in him keeping to play AFL if Geelong try and trade their experienced bodies for draft picks?

Tredrea was one of few who could hold his head high after the 2007 Grand Final you muppet.

As for Ling, he did look like he was labouring, as did Joel Corey.

Indulge me mods, I believe this is new information, and I'm not out to prove any particular poster wrong.

It's just this guy was written off by many, even questioned if he was in the Cats best 22.

As committed as they come IMO, I really respect him, and glad they stuck with him as the leader this year.

'Premiership captain' Cameron Ling :thumbsu:

nq8sna.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back