south west victoria best breeding ground for the afl

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the poster did not intend to include all players in their list from the Geelong Falcons. Many people would consider Geelong "south west" but I don't believe the poster intended to include Geelong in his region especially considering he left out three probable and high profile All-Australians this year from Geelong.

I'm not doubting the contributions of the Geelong Falcons to AFL list merely pointing out that the poster made mention of a specific area within the Geelong Falcon's zone and labeled players that aren't necessarily from that area.

Geelong Falcons do recruiting from all the South Western clubs, and high profile players in the South West will usually get an invitation to train/play there.

Colac is definitely part of the "south west" in this discussion. Geelong is already west, so it follows that Colac is even more west.

Also it doesn't really matter where someone went to school (as you made mention of Maguire and Ablett), as many kids will leave their own schools and go to school in Geelong for their later teen years. This doesn't mean they come from Geelong. Where you learn to play footy can be a huge influence.

No.

Also, please note that the only player the south western media gives a toss about is Jonathon Brown. It is like the others have never even existed.

(Trust me, I had to listen to them for years before I moved. They even have Jonathon Brown segments which they've had for no other player.)

Anyway I don't know about other parts of the state, but the footy culture in Western Victoria is very very strong. And there are strong links with Geelong, which really helps.

those segments havent been on for a couple of years..and if u cant find anything about other south western vic footballers maybe u should take a closer look at the paper

those segments havent been on for a couple of years..and if u cant find anything about other south western vic footballers maybe u should take a closer look at the paper

I don't live there anymore, pay attention to my post.

And whenever I return home and read the local papers, if there's no other football news, there'll still be Jonathon Brown.

Good to hear Coast got rid of that ****ing segment on Friday mornings, then. That drove me insane...

Geelong Falcons do recruiting from all the South Western clubs, and high profile players in the South West will usually get an invitation to train/play there.

Colac is definitely part of the "south west" in this discussion. Geelong is already west, so it follows that Colac is even more west.

Also it doesn't really matter where someone went to school (as you made mention of Maguire and Ablett), as many kids will leave their own schools and go to school in Geelong for their later teen years. This doesn't mean they come from Geelong. Where you learn to play footy can be a huge influence.
I have no problem with the person mentioning the Geelong Falcons area as a recruiting zone but they surely meant the Warrambool area. Claiming Colac is Warrambool is a bit like Geelong claiming Werribee.

Matt Maguire is not an Warrambool boy. He played most his football at Barwon Heads before switching to St Josephs, both Geelong clubs. He had to move to Warrambool when 17 for family reasons and played at South Warrambool. I don't know how that is learning his footy in the South West. Its unlikely he played more than 10 games there as he was playing at the Geelong Falcons at the same time.

I have no problem with the person mentioning the Geelong Falcons area as a recruiting zone but they surely meant the Warrambool area. Claiming Colac is Warrambool is a bit like Geelong claiming Werribee.

Matt Maguire is not an Warrambool, ok can accept a typo, but boy. He played most his football at Barwon Heads before switching to St Josephs, both Geelong clubs. He had to move to Warrambool when 17 for family reasons and played at South Warrambool ...:eek:. I don't know how that is learning his footy in the South West. Its unlikely he played more than 10 games there as he was playing at the Geelong Falcons at the same time.

Anyway, moving along.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The question was asked is the South-West was the best breeding ground not Warrnambool alone. :mad:
And the answer would be yes it has produce a few great players but is not the best by a long stretch, particularly over time. As mentioned East Fremantle could field an all star team and what about the riverina & Mildura back in the zone days ? Produced some of the all time greats, including the greatest. Certainly players leagues above the likes of Matt Maguire, Steven Baker or Jordan bloody Lewis. Could throw Brown in there too. Is a great player, but contrary to early comparisons he's not Carey.

I am pretty sure that Matt Maguire never actually pulled on the South Warrnambool guernsey. He lived in Warrnambool for one year, and he played Falcons all year. Was on South's list that year, which was the year before he got drafted, so that's why people always think that's where he came from but I am 90% sure he never played a game there. So his Geelong club should be getting all the recognition, not South...

As someone from South West Victoria, I can tell you that Colac is well and truly called "the south west".

It's nothing to do with distance. A zone is a zone, and that's the way the south west is. Includes Colac and Warrnambool.

The Best Breeding Ground

Hey,
Everytime a bloke gets a posession, the commentators always say, doing Colac Proud.
So, i understand that Colac have bred current players such as:
Luke Hodge- hawks
Jonothan Brown- Lions
NAthan Foley- Tigers
Amon Buchanan- Swans
Joffy Simkin- Swans

Im sure theres more.
Apart from major cities, what other places has produced such talent?
cheers

Re: The Best Breeding Ground

East Freo do alright
Ben Cousins
Simon Black (dont quote me on that)
Daniel Kerr
Quinton Lynch
Paul Haselby
Dominic Cassisi
Tarkyn Lockyer
Josh Kennedy
Mitch Clarke
Luke Mcpharlin
Graham Polak
Patrick Ryder
Andrew Swallow
Aaron Sandilands
Josh Carr

East Freo do alright
Ben Cousins
Simon Black (dont quote me on that)
Daniel Kerr
Quinton Lynch
Paul Haselby
Dominic Cassisi
Tarkyn Lockyer
Josh Kennedy
Mitch Clarke
Luke Mcpharlin
Graham Polak
Patrick Ryder
Andrew Swallow
Aaron Sandilands
Josh Carr

Wouldnt really coumt that as home grown as a large portion if noy most of these players were recruited to east freo from other clubs.

Never heard a commentator say that about Brown, thats for sure.

Honestly, i swear ive heard it at least 5 times.........mainly when Luke Hodge gets it.

Brown was born in colac i think, his dad also coached and played at Colac footy club i think???

Remove this Banner Ad

south west victoria best breeding ground for the afl

Remove this Banner Ad

Back