Southern Football League (Tas) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Some senior teams need to go. One of the big issues is that for every senior club there's a junior club associated with it. That's basically relying on 100% retention of Juniors to support the senior team which just doesn't happen. Sandy Bay having seniors will severely effect the clubs where their Juniors progress to now (Hutchins?).

Some senior teams need to go. One of the big issues is that for every senior club there's a junior club associated with it. That's basically relying on 100% retention of Juniors to support the senior team which just doesn't happen. Sandy Bay having seniors will severely effect the clubs where their Juniors progress to now (Hutchins?).
It’s tricky.
Hobart tried to amalgamate with them and bring their juniors in but it didn’t eventuate.

It would make sense for Hutchins to become the Bay and join the SFL proper but I don’t know what that relationship is like

On radio Christensen sounded like his priority is his daughter who lives interstate.
He won’t have the support like he did at Lauderdale. I know the money must be tempting but seriously how will this help Hobart? He is not young and how many will realistically come with him?

On radio Christensen sounded like his priority is his daughter who lives interstate.
He won’t have the support like he did at Lauderdale. I know the money must be tempting but seriously how will this help Hobart? He is not young and how many will realistically come with him?
Spot on

Whilst for footy 40k is unreal there is a lot of work to do at any club that is offering that.
You would be earning every cent so it’s in no way a quick money grab to bring a club back from the brink.

It’s well and truly silly season now that’s for sure

🔹to support other stakeholder clubs in the Sandy Bay zone – Sandy Bay Lions Junior Football Club, Tasmania University Football Club and Hutchins School Old Boys Football Club

Who does Steven Hay think he’s kidding with this pearler? They’ll compete with Uni and Hutchins for the same players - male and female.

I'm not sure any coach can bring Hobart back to the top, sure getting a playing coach that has a following will get them off the bottom but won't get them to the top, will be paying big money just to scrape into finals and then they'll all leave, happened with Gilmour and his crew were recruited, just ends In tears.

At the end of the day it all starts with the juniors side of things, need to constantly have a good junior program and have talent coming though the ranks, Hobart has from what Ive seen very limited amount of junior teams and looking at their reserves and seniors teams over the past years would be hardly any of those players that came through the Hobart juniors.

Need to have juniors coming through that will stick with the reserves and seniors because they already have a strong relationship with the club and are playing for the club not for money.

For a good 6/7 + years Hobart had a group of 20-30 players in the the seniors and reserves every year, they failed to recruit players and build around the core group they had and now that core group have all left, have heard different reasons as to why they left, not getting on with Gilmour, not getting along with Munting and just the pure fact that the club can't recruit and they were sick of being at the bottom end of the ladder each year.

I think you’ll find alot of the Sandy bay juniors progress to north Hobart, I’m positive they had an alignment with the senior club

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think you’ll find alot of the Sandy bay juniors progress to north Hobart, I’m positive they had an alignment with the senior club

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
They do have an affiliation but the maths doesn't work.
Taking this year as an example, both clubs have an U16.5 team. So 50 or so kids between them. Only North has an U18s. Where do the other 25 kids go? I'd say half would stop playing so that leaves a maybe a 1/4 of that 25 to Hutchins then the other 6 wherever. If SB want a League/Reserves/U18s then that's a huge strain on the junior playing pool in that area. When you combine the league teams in the SFL and Old Scholars, there's more league clubs than junior teams. Now we're adding in a premier league. It's completely unsustainable.
One of the SFL or OS leagues has to go or clubs merge.
DOSA and Hobart both play out of the TCA, it's not difficult to imagine.
But everyone here is so parochial for their own piece of turf that clubs would rather struggle on aimlessly than give up for the good of the game.
If none of this is to happen then a massive amount needs to be spent on getting Juniors back into the game. Like actually employing half a dozen people to run clinics in all of the southern primary schools all of the time (not just a session or two once a year) and get them playing footy again. That'll take years and close to $1m per year invested.
Kids have so many more options now than when the blokes running the STJFL were kids playing the game. They're completely out of touch. Kids today (my son included) are so easily distracted by a million other things. Basketball for example goes for 1 hour and is played indoors. Ask 50 ten year olds what sport they'd rather do in winter and what do you reckon the answer will be? The Devils will help but not enough to clean up the mess the game's currently in.

Taking this year as an example, both clubs have an U16.5 team. So 50 or so kids between them. Only North has an U18s. Where do the other 25 kids go? I'd say half would stop playing so that leaves a maybe a 1/4 of that 25 to Hutchins then the other 6 wherever. If SB want a League/Reserves/U18s then that's a huge strain on the junior playing pool in that area. When you combine the league teams in the SFL and Old Scholars, there's more league clubs than junior teams. Now we're adding in a premier league. It's completely unsustainable.
But everyone here is so parochial for their own piece of turf that clubs would rather struggle on aimlessly than give up for the good of the game.
If none of this is to happen then a massive amount needs to be spent on getting Juniors back into the game. Like actually employing half a dozen people to run clinics in all of the southern primary schools all of the time (not just a session or two once a year) and get them playing footy again. That'll take years and close to $1m per year invested.
Kids have so many more options now than when the blokes running the STJFL were kids playing the game. They're completely out of touch. Kids today (my son included) are so easily distracted by a million other things. Basketball for example goes for 1 hour and is played indoors. Ask 50 ten year olds what sport they'd rather do in winter and what do you reckon the answer will be? The Devils will help but not enough to clean up the mess the game's currently in.
Adding to that is the rise of masters which has hit Reserves hard.

If you count ODFA, OS, SFL and TSL there are 25 senior teams and 20 reserves teams.

Last year there was 9 Under 18 or 19s teams in Southern Tasmania.

As much as it might make sense, Hobart hate DOSA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Completely unsustainable.
I think the SFL underage competition is in danger also. 4 clubs participated last year with Brighton now going to premier league.

That leaves three with Sorell not having won a game last year.

I know some teams plan to get underage teams, but if this does not eventuate what will these three teams do?

4 was already stupidly low.

Remove this Banner Ad

Southern Football League (Tas) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back